Sign in to follow this  
BikerRN

Muzzle Brake Question

Howdy all.

I got what may appear to be a dumb question, but figured I'd ask it anyway.

I'm contemplating the purchase of a .375, either H&H or Ruger, and was wondering about a muzzle break. Do they really work? I can shoot my .308 all day long at the bench, but fear the .375 may be more than I can handle.

I'm wanting something that can reach out to 500 Yards or so for elk and moose size game, but would also be capable of asiatic buffalo in Australia. The .375 is the smallest I can use there for that animal. Between my .223 and .308 I figure I've got the other stuff covered and I'm looking to build a 3 Gun Battery.

My big fear is biting off too much gun. I don't intend to bench shoot with it all day, but I do need to shoot it enough to zero it. I've also considered going with a .300 Win Mag and a .375, making it a 4 Gun Battery. The .300 would be for elk, bear, and moose here in CONUS.

So, do muzzle brakes work, or do I just need to get used to loosening the fillings in my teeth? If they do work, what can I relate them to? For example, let's say a muzzle brake on a .338 Win Mag makes it feel like you're shooting a 22-250. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Biker

Yes they do work.

Some styles work better than others and some styles look better than others.

Some are threaded onto your barrel and can be removed to be replaced with a cap if you care not to use it in the field.

The main reason some don't want to take it into the field is because of noise.

Depending on how it's configured, the muzzle blast is redirected and that boom is waaay more pronounced. Deafening to say the least.

That is the one major (maybe only) drawback to a muzzle brake.

As far as comparing what your 375 would feel like, I really don't know. Plus I think it's different when you ask numerous people.

If the brake keeps you from flinching, then it's done it's job. Just don't forget your hearing protection!

i have vais on several of mine. they are awesome.

I have a vais as well on my 300 win mag....I think it is the best break i have ever shot. I feel as if it kicks like 243 now. There was also a difference in the kick with the gun kicks straight back and doesn't jump up when the trigger is pulled as before. The holes in the break are in the front as well so it does not kick up dust when you shoot. make sure you wear ear protection!!!!PM me if you want to talk, I know a great gunsmith.

take care

Mark

I have KDF on all mine and they do help never used any others . I took a 76 year old man out on a bull elk hunt last year who was having a hard time with the recoil from his 300 Win Mag no break. I told him I would bring my 300RUM not to worry ,he shot his 6X6 bull 419 yards, this was his first time ever shooting my rifle one shot kill and was surprised with the recoil . He compared the kick to a 243, and has since put one on his 300 Win. Hope this helps

Yes they do work some better than others. The ones already mentioned in this thread are well proven. I have been told some of them reduce the felt recoil in excess of 50%. Yes DO wear earmuffs, your rifle will become much louder down near the muzzle end of things :)

I have a Post 64 Model 70 Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum that I will be offering for sale after I return to Tucson in late July. If you are interested, let me know. It is in 99% condition after being used to shoot a buffalo in Zimbabwe. I've fired only about 20 rounds through it.

Incidentally, the .375 is considered a "medium" bore in Africa. Its recoil is bearable but, if it bothers you, muzzle brakes really do work.

Bill Quimby