Pine Donkey

Unit 1 Fire?

Howdy folks.

While I would certainly sympathise, to a degree, with anyone that lost property because of this fire I'm of the opinion that we should just let it burn as long as no lives are threatened. Towns and buildings can be rebuilt, but people cannot be replaced.

We have had over sixty years of aggressive fire suppresion, and this is what it gets us. Fire, from my limited knowlwdge base, is a good thing that is natural. Before the west was settled fires happened, and areas expirienced renewed plant growth. It was a naturally occuring thing that we have inhibited for far too long in my opinion.

Living in a forest, or on a grassland for that matter, means one has to accept the challenges that nature provides. Fire is one of those challenges. It shouldn't be suppresed, but rather homes should be rebuilt after nature takes it's course. Sorry if that seems harsh, but it's how I feel.

Biker

I completely disagree. You are correct that we have had over sixty years of aggressive fire suppresion. The US Forest Circus has not allowed the forest to be "managed". An this is what we get. We don't live in "unsettled" territory. We cannot allow things to burn as they did when the dinosaurs roamed. The forest has to be groomed. That can happen naturally or through good management techniques (read logging). If it happens naturally you get a Rodeo-Chedeski Fire.....an then who have you helped? What resources have you managed? You haven't. The US Forest Circus won't allow any of the timber to be harvested....so those precious natural resources will again be mismanaged and abused.

Anyone that thinks we need to let "mother nature" manage things naturally needs to go get their head examined....better yet go live in the city with all the rest of the retards and stay the heck out of OUR forest. You don't belong. You are un-natural!

If you get banned for those 2 posts, then there is no point in having open forums for comments. Things cant always be nice and politically correct. Just like real life. Perhaps we could help cut our national debt by eliminating the FS!! Obviously there version of "management" isnt actually managing anything, So whats the point?? They only jump when its already to late and we pay by the millions to fight these fires. The people in charge, like our wonderful politicians, need a healthy fear for there jobs for lack of doing them. Perhaps then they would take things serious.

Let it burn. The R/C fire, from a strictly biological viewpoint, is the best thing that ever happened to unit 3. Obviously, I don't want to see anyone lose their possessions.

OK, I'll be more blunt:

If you choose to live in a forest, you have to deal with the dangers that are there.

That means fire, even human caused ones, are a risk you must endure. Tough. Suck it up and move on. If you lose your home, I hope you have a good insurance policy. At no place in my post did I say that I wanted logging stopped, and in fact encourage logging as it is a good way to manage our forest resources.

Due to years of the feral government doing a crappy job, which is common for anything federal as far as I'm concerned, you that live there get to deal with what the feral government has sown. Personally I won't shed a tear if all of Alpine burns. While it would be devastating, to those that live there, it would also be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Not because it would displace the people that live there, but because it would go a long way to restoring the balance that we have upset.

That balance could've been maintained by controlled burning and logging over the past twenty years, but that is not an option now. I wish it was. Now I realize that my post may offend some members here. I'm in hopes that the smarter members will take the time to reflect on the words and reach the meaning I'm trying to convey. For some of you I realize that will be impossible.

Biker

stay the heck out of OUR forest

I'd be fine with that, if you stay the heck out of my desert.

Also, since it's YOUR forest none of my tax dollars should go to managing it. Let you, and those that live there, be responsible for how those forest are managed but don't come crying to me for money when you screw up. If you want to charge an "access fee" for when I come up there, fine. I'd gladly pay that, but I'll bet you can't get enough money to manage a turnip truck by that method. However, since it's YOUR forest, it's not my problem.

Now before anyone reads this and thinks I'm some tree hugging bunny loving granola eating ferret, I actually support logging and ranching on public lands, and want to see it increased. The problem is, too many people think the forest is their personal property, when it fact it belongs to all of us. I'm willing to give it all to you, but with stipulations, as I noted above.

Biker

Just heard that Nutrioso has been ordered to evacuate!!! Crazy Hope the House does not burn down!!!

Does anyone have any updated info on size? The incident page still has it at 40k but that's been there for a while.

My parents just evacuated Alpine and Dad says he doesnt expect the cabin to be there in the morning. I just hope he had enough room for my mom after he loaded all his guns and ammo.

We've got evacuees from Alpine staying at Blue Ridge High school now. I feel so bad for all the people who have to leave their homes with no idea what they’ll find when they return.

My complaint with this fire is exactly the same complaint I have year-after-year. These things generally start out small, and are quickly *mostly* contained. The response is usually a small crew fighting a small-to-medium fire. Next thing you know, it gets totally out of hand, and USFS is scrambling to bring in larger teams to fight it. We’ve seen it up here time and time again.

Why not put massive resources into getting it fully contained while it is still manageable? You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that with dry conditions and high winds, it doesn’t take much at all for any fire to get completely out of control – as this one clearly has.

It’s almost like the powers that be want it to become a massive catastrophe so they’ll get more funding, bigger budgets, and line their pockets in the process when they could have done more, early on, to keep it from becoming such a disaster.

I should have some pix tomorrow of the smoke plumes. I sure hope homes and businesses are spared, and maybe, in the long run, the forest will be healthier.

I just checked in to a hotel in pine top after being evacuated from nutrioso. One heck of a long day. I was in Alpine at 6:15 and I have never seen anything that dark. Not only dark but headlights wont work beyond about 30 feet. Just north of Alpine, but still south of big lake road (249) there were 400+ elk moving off of south mountain in front of the fire. When we left nutrioso at about midnight we were told that a couple structures had already burned in Alpine and that spot fires were popping up eaverywhere. The Verizon tower just above town, off the 403 road reportedly burned and the fire had jumped 191 and was moving into the blue. I asked about acres burned. They did not have an update beyond the 40500 but added that the fire had traveled more than 12 miles since those numbers were released.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. I hope the cabin that our freinds and family love so much is still there in the morning.