Pine Donkey

Unit 1 Fire?

Killed my first solo turkey off the 403 west of the 191. It pains me to know that area is nothing and all of the areas I have hunted are gone. To all of you up there my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

OK, I'll be more blunt:

If you choose to live in a forest, you have to deal with the dangers that are there.

That means fire, even human caused ones, are a risk you must endure. Tough. Suck it up and move on. If you lose your home, I hope you have a good insurance policy. At no place in my post did I say that I wanted logging stopped, and in fact encourage logging as it is a good way to manage our forest resources.

Due to years of the feral government doing a crappy job, which is common for anything federal as far as I'm concerned, you that live there get to deal with what the feral government has sown. Personally I won't shed a tear if all of Alpine burns. While it would be devastating, to those that live there, it would also be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Not because it would displace the people that live there, but because it would go a long way to restoring the balance that we have upset.

That balance could've been maintained by controlled burning and logging over the past twenty years, but that is not an option now. I wish it was. Now I realize that my post may offend some members here. I'm in hopes that the smarter members will take the time to reflect on the words and reach the meaning I'm trying to convey. For some of you I realize that will be impossible.

Biker

Biker,

Let me be blunt...Your an idiot!

Based on your narrow thought process the tornado victims in Joplin MO need to suck it up and move on. They chose to live where tornados hit, they have to deal with the dangers.

I guess you could apply your same assinine thinking to those who chose to work in high profile buildings that terrorists decided to attack.

Dont bother replying, we dont need to hear any more of your idiotic rhetoric.

I believe the reason why our forests are burning with such huge crown fires started with the nations policy of complete fire suppression in the early to mid 20th century. Ponderosa pine forests historically burn once every seven or so years with a ground fire that removes branches, needles, leaves, etc... Large crown fire historically occurred every thirty to fifty years, and they were less hot and less destructive than todays fires. The buildup of downed wood I've seen in the Terry Flat area is appalling. Doghair thickets acrooss the evergreen forests of Arizona are another major factor. Now that the forsets are so cluttered, we are going to see major crown fires in almost every forest untill mother nature can restore ballance. it is a sad truth and as things sit fires have to be put out when they have any potential to grow larger. We are the ones who proverbially screwed ourselves over by taking a too serious approach to fire suppresssion and then not a serious enoguh approach in manys cases. Anyways thats my 2 cents

Your $0.02 is worth more than that, as opposed to those that wail and gnash their teeth like a bunch of old women, which from what I see is most of this forum.

Adios.

Biker

:blink: What :blink: Anyway hope they get it under control soon. Thats a lot of awsome country that getting toasted up there.

the rodeo and dude fire did not return the forest back to its natural state and neither will the wallowfire.

At least not in our lifetime...

stay the heck out of OUR forest

I'd be fine with that, if you stay the heck out of my desert.

Also, since it's YOUR forest none of my tax dollars should go to managing it. Let you, and those that live there, be responsible for how those forest are managed but don't come crying to me for money when you screw up. If you want to charge an "access fee" for when I come up there, fine. I'd gladly pay that, but I'll bet you can't get enough money to manage a turnip truck by that method. However, since it's YOUR forest, it's not my problem.

Now before anyone reads this and thinks I'm some tree hugging bunny loving granola eating ferret, I actually support logging and ranching on public lands, and want to see it increased. The problem is, too many people think the forest is their personal property, when it fact it belongs to all of us. I'm willing to give it all to you, but with stipulations, as I noted above.

Biker

I've been without internet for a few days, but I'll respond.....and do it without personal attacks (not implying anyone has personally attacked me either).

When I say OUR forests. I'm not referring to White Mountain folks versus desert dwellers. I'm referring our natural God given United States Forests. This is not the "king's forest". It saddens me that there are not people, particularly in government, who have enough intestinal fortitude to resist the tree huggers and environmentalists who for whatever reason believe that with societies located in areas like the White Mountains that we can manage the forest's naturally without major consequence.

My hope, prayer and fast this weekend will be that our Heavenly Father see's fit to have the stars and weather align so that the fire can be gotten under control. I meant no offense to BikerRN.....I simply disagreed.

FINALLY!!!

Someone with some sense!! I couldnt agree more. Protect the buildings and get the folks out. LET it burn cause there aint no stoppin it. We had our turn 10 years ago, now its the east sides turn. Pack your junk, send the wife and kids on there way and stay behind and watch your mortgage payments so it dont burn. This fire is gonna run all the way to HWY 260 before it runs out of fuel. If it jumps 260, it'll go on to the HWY 60 till it gets in the grassland and runs out of fuel just like R/C did. Only difference is this fire is a MONTH EARLIER. Too much wind to stop it anytime soon... Good luck folks....Hang in there.

Ron

Howdy folks.

While I would certainly sympathise, to a degree, with anyone that lost property because of this fire I'm of the opinion that we should just let it burn as long as no lives are threatened. Towns and buildings can be rebuilt, but people cannot be replaced.

We have had over sixty years of aggressive fire suppresion, and this is what it gets us. Fire, from my limited knowlwdge base, is a good thing that is natural. Before the west was settled fires happened, and areas expirienced renewed plant growth. It was a naturally occuring thing that we have inhibited for far too long in my opinion.

Living in a forest, or on a grassland for that matter, means one has to accept the challenges that nature provides. Fire is one of those challenges. It shouldn't be suppresed, but rather homes should be rebuilt after nature takes it's course. Sorry if that seems harsh, but it's how I feel.

Biker

I think its odd everyone says "burned and gone" ... Its still there folks, just with alot less tress and doghair thickets . Jeez, the land is still there, just looks a little more open now. The animals will back 10 fold in a few years.,

Ron

I think its odd everyone says "burned and gone" ... Its still there folks, just with alot less tress and doghair thickets . Jeez, the land is still there, just looks a little more open now. The animals will back 10 fold in a few years.,

Ron

Wow....Can’t see the forest for the trees!! It is not what you see, it how you perceive what you see.

Latest update:

Submitted by Josh McPeak

Wallow Fire 06/04/2011

. Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2011 6:01 pm | Updated: 6:38 pm, Sat Jun 4, 2011.

Wallow Fire Update: less active fire spread today although communites should remain alert

Residents of the Round Valley area were updated at a meeting this afternoon about the progress of the Wallow Fire. Officials from the Type 1 Incident Command Team and the Forest service were on hand to present up-to-date information on the fire.

Highlights of the meeting are:

•The Fire has displayed much less activity today in comparison to days prior and is not moving as fast as expected.

•There is a wide finger of fire spreading northwest toward Big Lake and Sunrise Park Resort and another area spreading east in the direction of Luna, New Mexico.

•The recreation area at Big Lake has, so far, not sustained any damage.

•Crews are building buffering areas in Nutrioso to protect structures and are actively working to protect those buffer areas.

•An estimated 1,500 fire personal are actively fighting the fire and more are expected over the next few days.

•Another Type 1 Skycrane helecopter is now on scene bringing the total to five Air Tankers fighting the fire.

•Arizona Governor Jan Brewer visited the area earlier today and expressed complete support for the people from areas affected calling the fire "absolutely frightening." Brewer's said, "It was expansive white smoke and then black smoke. You could see fire on the ground. It's like something I have never experienced from the air before."

•The community of Alpine remains intact but is in eminent danger. Crews are working round-the-clock to protect the area.

•The Wallow Fire is currently burning six miles away from Greer. The trigger point for the evacuation of Greer is two miles. There is no evacuation order at this time.

•Officials are looking at the option of opening up Lyman Lake early as a possible location for potential evacuees. However there are concerns about the heavy smoke in the area and whether or not it will be a suitable evacuation point. Blue Ridge High School in Lakeside has been set up as a Red Cross shelter for evacuees and if need be, the City of Show Low will open facilities for evacuees.

•The fire is not threatening the towns of Eagar or Springerville at this time. The fire is 20 miles from Eagar and, although conditions may change, no pre-evacuation orders are in place at this time. Residents with respiratory problems are advised to leave the area due to the smokey conditions.

•There is still a possibility of evacuation of Greer and possibly the Round Valley towns in the next couple of days depending on weather conditions and containment efforts. Stay posted to this site and 593info.org for updates.

The next public meeting will be held on Monday, June 6 unless the conditions of the Wallow Fire change in the interim.

I spent the day in Luna with Suzy. My parents who evacuated Alpine are staying with some friends there. The billows of smoke and the amount of it is unbelievable. We had calls coming in all day from friends who had refused to evacuate and we experienced a roller coaster of emotions as the fire outlook changed and the rumors, and truths came over the phone. What I do know, that is pretty reliable is that they are using the 2266 road or highlands drive as a fire break. They have been cutting trees for 2 days on the south side of 2266 and lighting backfires. The fire has came over the south side of Jackson mountain and is burning down the front towards the north east. Spot fires have started in most of the meadows in the highlands and towards Jackson springs. The fire crews have done a fantastic job so far of protecting structure. The people who we talked to all reside in the highlands so unfortunately we didn't here much info. on anywhere else.

Find the S.O.B. that set the fire. Make him stand in the street and watch as his house is slowly burned down.

Here is a pic outside are house yesterday morning. It was hard to sleep at night with all the smoke inside the house. We just gathered our important things and left that morning.

If you look in the middle you can see the the sun. :(

post-2686-0-88907700-1307320211_thumb.jpg