Sign in to follow this  
BikerRN

ADIOS

Given the recent correspondence I have had regarding some of my post on this forum I figure it is time to explain myself before I say adios.

Those of you that say I don't care about the homes and property in the path of our recent fires are 100% correct. I don't care about your property, houses, memories, or wishes and desires. They impact me not a whit. What I do care about is your ability to breath, your heart to beat, and your arms and hands to work, as well as your legs to stand you up and allow you to walk.

I've been homeless, and lived out of my vehicle for a time. In that time I dreamed of having nicer things and a better situation. I was fortunate, in that I found that I've come to the conclusion that all the stuff I own, while I enjoy and like it, is just stuff. It may make my life easier, but it's still just stuff. Having lost almost everything, and then getting nicer stuff later has taught me that it doesn't really mean a whole lot. As long as I can work, I can get stuff if I want. When I am unable to work, what's the point of living I ask myself.

With the exception of a few people on this forum, most have responded with the usual sophomoric high school chest thumping behavior that I left behind a long time ago. I have offered what little I can to people by means of a PM, but have either been rebuffed or called names. At no time, in any of my post, have I called anyone a name, or responded in kind. That says something to the quality of the people here I think, or at least the ones I'm referring to. If someone wants help from me all they have to do is ask. The worst I can say is, “No”, but you just might be surprised at how often I say yes. I do not ask anything of someone else that I would not be willing to do for them if the situation were reversed.

Now as to the present fires, and the Dude and R/C fires, I say “Burn Baby Burn”. My wife and I were looking at maybe moving to the White Mountain area, but upon a visit there last year saw the tinderbox conditions and said “No Thanks”. Through your fault, my fault, the federal government's fault, or nobody's fault at all, those that live in the White Mountains live in a tinderbox. I am of the opinion that if you live there you must accept that as a consequence. Realize I'm not placing blame here, just stating what I view as a fact. One of the first things my wife, having experienced the Ash Wednesday Fires, you can Google it, looks at is the fire conditions. Many of you, from what I saw, fail to do that or to make proper cutbacks and dirt lanes on your personal property in the event of a fire. That is your choice, but you have to suffer those consequences.

Now, when it comes time to rebuild, I am more than willing to dig post holes, build fence, raise a barn or house if I am asked. I will not feel sorry for you for losing your stuff but I am willing to help you rebuild. All one has to do is ask. I am willing to help just about anyone, but they have to put forth the effort. I don't expect an octogenarian to put forth the same effort as a twenty-something year old, but I do expect some effort to be put forth. I guess the difference is, I have lost all my stuff in the past so I realize it's true worth. I have my hands, heart, and lungs, that means I can get more stuff if it comes to that.

Life is precious to me, mine and my loved ones most so. The other things are at differing degrees of inconsequential. As long as nobody is killed or injured in these fires, that is called a good day in my book. Now with that I will leave this forum and you can continue with your chest thumping high school locker room antics.

Biker

Biker,

I am working under the assumption that you won't read this since you won't be back to this site, but my hunch is you will at least look one time to see what all of us chest thumpers have to say.

This is a chest thumping site, if you have ever told stories about your hunting experiences then you are one of us.

Most people would show a little empathy to others who have suffered loss no matter how small or large, or how stupid we may think they are or were.

Take New Oleans for example. Is it not rediculous that they live below sea level?? For most of us it is dummer that rocks, but we still empathize with those who lost homes, posessions and life. heck, my home owners insurance went up because of hurricane Katrina and I haven't even ever been to the Big Easy before.

When you come on here and say you could care less about other peoples losses, well it just tends to rub a little the wrong direction. Even a cat gets pissed off if you rub their hair the wrong direction.

You have many valid points about building in the trees putting ourselves in the line of "fire".

Memories don't burn up, structures do. My boys all asked me what we would do if Grandpa's cabin were to burn down in this fire. It just tell them, I have my memories and we will build new memories.

Good luck in finding that spot in this world you are looking for where there are no fires and no chest thumpers.

• Like 1

Biker........I agree with MOST of what you say and think, and I respect your right to your opinion. I think you ought to stick around. The good here way way out ways the bad.

Don't cut and run......... stay with us.

John

• Like 1

The problem is you dont understand what is going on with these TYPE of fires. the dude fire is going to be a bigger timber box now than it was the last time it burned.instead of burning "naturally" where

the thick scrub on the forest floor is burned and the mature pines are spared,EVERYTHING burns including

the mature pines.now what happens is more scrub takes over until it gets so thick you cant walk through

it,then another fire starts and the pines that take a hundred years or more to mature never get a chance

to grow again.our pine forests in az are being lost forever by mistakes that WE have made in the past

(fire suppression,over grazing,growing population,etc.) We have learned a lot from our mistakes in the last 100 years and although it is a little late we have gotten alot wiser on what needs to be done.

There is too much forest out there for man to manage the way it needs to be.it is not feasible to cut or burn every square inch of scrub in this state.However, the ONLY logical way to manage our forest is to use chainsaws and prescribed burns and peck away at our problem.Starting random man-made fires during

a windy dry season are ABSOLUTELY not the solution.The ramifications are catostrophic and devastating.

If you dont understand that then have a good life

in the words of curly bill, "well..., bye". maybe you can find chris darnell and you guys can sit around and talk about how you don't care about anyone else or their property and livelihood and opinions and about how you are the only ones that count, and fondle yourselves. seriously, get a clue. Lark.

in the words of curly bill, "well..., bye". maybe you can find chris darnell and you guys can sit around and talk about how you don't care about anyone else or their property and livelihood and opinions and about how you are the only ones that count, and fondle yourselves. seriously, get a clue. Lark.

Chris Darnell. Thats funny right there.

How are we going to sleep at night!?!?! Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!