apache12

Range finders with adjustment for angle

OK, so I'm kicking around getting a range finder in the next few months for rifel hunts not archery. How much importance would you guys put on the newer range finders like the Nikon rifle man 550 or 1000 that automatically calculate for angle of drop or incline? Hunt 34a a bunch for pig and coues and there's decent canyons about 400 to 500 across and 250 to 300 from top to bottom. Been pretty successful so far in those canyons but I've also been lucky someitmes and missed high and the deer gave me asecond shot. Any advice on range finder and reflective and non reflective as well as the angle?

Thanks,

Nikon rifle man 1000 is the way to go it will pave the way for all new range finders i love mine

I love Leica RF... Nikon, not so much. Sorry I have the both and prefer the Leica's hands down. My Leica's do not have angle data but much better, especially when not in perfect conditions.

Get a good range finder, and an ACI. Angle cos indicator. This set up will searve you better along with a BC.

I found the Nikons the easiest to use...

As Joe said the Nikon RifleHunter 1000 is one heck of a Rangfinder. Besides the I/D Terchnology one of my favorite features is the bright LED display that comes in handy for low light conditions. These have been such hot sellers I don't have one yet. LAst Dec. I borrowed a buddies who happened to luck out and get one at Cabela's. I was hunting Kansas and it was cold,snowing and blowing snow, the RifleHunter worked great.

It is nice to be able to range multiple objects for distance reference once you get set up and that is usually 0-dark-hundered.

Check it out before you make a choice. Doesn't hurt to look, if it's not for you buy what you think will work better.

Like I said, these have been flying off the shelves and reviews have been excellent, for a reason.

Drop me a note if you have any questions about Nikon Sport Optics.

Bart

Nikon Pro staff

i bought the most expensive leupold they make a couple years ago. total junk. it wouldn't range a tin barn that was less than 400 yards away. anything over 200 was hit and miss. the angle thing was so difficult that i think a slide rule, pencil and notebook would be faster. took it back and bought a leica. walked outside and the first click it read over 1300 yards. i recommend the leica and everbody knows that i know everthing. .308nuts turned me on to an angle indicator that goes on your rifle. between the two, i got it figgerd out now. the leupold was such a rotten unit i never even wanted to try any of the others do it all range finders. they may have one now that works. but i like what i have now. Lark.

+1 270

Swarovski

Leica

Zeiss

In that order for me.

I have the top 2 and they have performed great for me. I have seen many others that didnt work well at all.

Lark, does the lecia account for angle? if so, do you find it effective?

I was hunting with two guys that have the Leicas with out angle compensation. I have the Nikon Rifleman 550 WITH angle compensation (which will range in the mid 600's by the way). We were hunting an area that was very steep. Both guys kept asking me what MY Nikon was reading everytime we saw deer and were amazed at how different our readings were because of the severe angles. I wouldn't buy a range finder without angle compensation. You definately can get by without it (as we all have for many years) but with just about everyone offering it why would you not get the option? It saves time and helps you to not MISS your game. By the way, the first offerings by Leupold with angle compensation were garbage as previously said. I'm told by a good friend of mine that the newer Leupolds with angle compensation are definately better than their first offerings.

i just bought the chuck adams edition bushnell and it read targets out to 900 no problem, and it has the angle compensation, i was extremely impressed with it, and its only $200. so you cant beat the price

apache, no my leica does not have the angle deal in it. i put an angle indicator on my rifle and do it that way. i'm still learning this long range stuff, but have made some pretty long shots on game. figuring the angle can be real tricky. Lark.

If you are going to shoot long range, you have to be able to compensate for angle one way or the other. Like Lark I have chosen to put a device on my scope rail that measures the angle and gives you the multiplier. I also love my Leica, and the only other option for me would be the new Leica with the angle compensation built in.

When you are in the heat of the moment and you want the true distance to your target grab the nikon riflehunter 1000. I was just recently in the market for a new rangefinder and REALLY REALLY REALLY reserched and watched tons of videos on rangefinders. I am now shooting out to 800 yards in a blink of an eye with the Riflehunter 1000. I looked at ALL the rangefinders on the market and Could not spend too much money on one and found the nikon. I love how you can hold down the rangeing button and it will constantly range for you. +++++++1000 on the Nikon and I bought mine off of ebay for a discount and yes I was able to warranty it and had no probles and was able to even save some money. Click on the link below this is the same guy I got mine from.

It for 308.99 to your door and he started out with like 63 of thenm and only has 8 left. This guy is legit because I called Nikon and asked if I would be able to warranty it if I bought it from the guy and I was able too. Get it while he still has a few left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250809489804&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i have had four different range finder the leica, Leopold, Bushnell and by a long shot the Nikon rifle-hunter 1000 is the best for me i ranged a coyote the other day at 635 yards down hill at dawn and it worked great. don't get me wrong i loved my Leica (I still have it) but i also tree stand hunt and i need a ANGLE range finder. after much research the nikon riflehunter 1000 look like the best for me, (tree stand and long range shooting (800+))