You can load subsonic for just about any round... the effective range will suffer, but hey- at least you won't be deaf! Revolvers are loud... you could check with a gunsmith if a custom barrel crown/brake would help direct the muzzle blast straight away from you instead of everywhere... 11 degree target crowns tend to isolate the blast downrange on rifles. Still- I'd wear Hearpro.

Check out a SRT suppressed Ruger MkIII .22lr, or his Matrix auto pistol suppressor if you must go bigger. The quiet of his integral MkIII is amazing. With hi-velocity ammo, the sound is not much more than a dry fire.

Doug at SRT is very good. http://www.srtarms.com/ Tell him Matt sent you.

For very small, less expensive than a suppressor and more immediate route, you might consider a Ruger LCR22 with Aguila .22lr 60gr SSS.

I believe that most ammo manufacturers load mag calibers to the max while most other non-mag rounds are loaded for more friend shooting, at least on the trigger end of things.

when im hiking or biking i normal carry a 22mag as i almost always see a coyote or two. and im unusual in a semi urban area.

did you get the coyote?

I bet he missed? That's the only time you feel the kick or hear the bang.

IMO, the easiest solution might be to buy a set of Howard Leight "Quiet Band" ear plugs (the orange-colored plugs molded to a narrow head band you can hang around your neck). They are always handy and do the trick (can also use them when out hunting with center-fire rifle). About $7 at Sportsman's ...

The decibel level of a .357is at par with a .44 magnum,  at 164 db.  A 9mm is at 160, the venerable .38 at 159, and the quiet ones are the .45 at 157 and the .44 Special at 156.  .45 Long Colt is at 154.7.   Every increase of10 db's represents an increase of intensity of tenfold. 

The .357, is ten times more intense then the .45 Long Colt.  Intensity damages hearing, not the loudness. 

I carry outdoors, and think of black bear.  I have had encounters with a grizzly and a lion in AZ.  The .357 cartridge and the revolver platform are incredible, in my opinion, but need hearing protection.  I have fired one without them, and I report the same discomfort you do. I went through this process last summer.  Good thread.

So, I am currently at the .45 acp for outdoors, and am saving for a 45 Long Colt, or a .44 and will carry special in it and load with magnums of long colt bear loads when I think necessary. 

23 hours ago, turbo said:

The decibel level of a .357is at par with a .44 magnum,  at 164 db.  A 9mm is at 160, the venerable .38 at 159, and the quiet ones are the .45 at 157 and the .44 Special at 156.  .45 Long Colt is at 154.7.   Every increase of10 db's represents an increase of intensity of tenfold. 

The .357, is ten times more intense then the .45 Long Colt.  Intensity damages hearing, not the loudness. 

I carry outdoors, and think of black bear.  I have had encounters with a grizzly and a lion in AZ.  The .357 cartridge and the revolver platform are incredible, in my opinion, but need hearing protection.  I have fired one without them, and I report the same discomfort you do. I went through this process last summer.  Good thread.

So, I am currently at the .45 acp for outdoors, and am saving for a 45 Long Colt, or a .44 and will carry special in it and load with magnums of long colt bear loads when I think necessary. 

Grizzly bears in AZ  ? Nice 

• Wow! 1

Grizzly in Montana.  And, younger and dumber, I had no gun, and the bear looked like the size of a Volkswagen.  Wish the magnums were quieter. 

9 hours ago, turbo said:

Grizzly in Montana.  And, younger and dumber, I had no gun, and the bear looked like the size of a Volkswagen.  Wish the magnums were quieter. 

Oh ok that makes more sense. The way I see it , is carry whatever who cares about the ears. I would rather ringing ears , than wet  soiled  Undies .... or being lunch 

On 12/29/2018 at 6:31 AM, turbo said:

10MM isnt too bad. in My opinion much easier on the ears than a 44 mag. 

I’ve shot my 357 revolver without plugs and will not do it again, unless it is an emergency. That being said, I intend to hunt with it, so I’ll have plugs in when stalking. I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone could recommend a smaller revolver to carry while bird hunting just in case the dog gets into it with a coyote or other varmint.