Sign in to follow this  
apache12

3a 3c Archery deer hunt while scouting Jr cow elk hunt

OK, I'm a rifle hunter but have owned a bow for 8 years. I've also have only bow hunted three times and had one chance to draw on a deer that never came in close enough for my confort. I do shoot my target in the back yard for fun but I'm not nearly as skilled in archery hunting as rifle. This year my 14 year old has drawn a jr cow elk tag in 3a 3c and I also picked him up a used PSE bow from my neighbor who is a solid bow hunter. I thought while we are scouting for his elk hunt we should also try to tag a deer in the aug bow hunt. I dont have a stand so I'll just ground hunt either sit a spot or glass and stalk. I'm thinking I'll elk hunt mostly near fr 300 and south of black cayon lake. Ayone have any experience deer hunting up in that area, and is it possible to scout for elk and bow hunt for deer at the same time, or will I just be average at both? Thought it be fun to get the boy up at a chance for a deer while he's learning his elk area.

That exact area you were talking about hold some group of mulies. I had seen some spikes and 2x's in that area on my daughters cow hunt two years back, and planned on doing the same thing you are this archery season because she drew a late bull tag for that unit, her first bull tag. Good luck on both hunts, hope we get rain soon.

That exact area you were talking about hold some group of mulies. I had seen some spikes and 2x's in that area on my daughters cow hunt two years back, and planned on doing the same thing you are this archery season because she drew a late bull tag for that unit, her first bull tag. Good luck on both hunts, hope we get rain soon.

Contgrats to your daughter on that tag. Maybe we'll bounce into each other in the area. I'm in a tan toyota tundra, tent camp and it will just be me and the boy swing by the camp if somwthing looks familar. Good luck