Simple Hunter

Crawdad/Crayfish recipe

the deveining trick works. really well. makes eating crawdads a lot easier. we had jambalaya with chicken, andoule and crawdads last night. sody crackers and butter, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good. Lark.

Lark is right about getting the poop chute out. Me and my 2 year old son just got back from the river and im getting ready to cook some up myself. If there is one thing I remember that my old man taught me is that that poop chute fin is the easiest way to do it.

Hey everybody thanks for the help:

I took a little bit from everyone and they turned out delicious, here's what I did:

The crawdads were dead when I transported them, but they miraculously came back to life when I got to the cabin ;)I boiled the resurrected crawdads with some salt for about 4-5 mins

Then I pulled their head off and peeled the shell off the tail end. I found that you could grab the exposed intestine and pull it out in one piece. Then I washed them off good with water and threw them in a sautee pan.

I threw in couple slices of butter and two cloves of garlic and sauteed them. They were delicious. If I had to do it over again, I would try to catch at least 100 'dads to make a decent appetizer. It was a lot of work for very little gain.

Plus the 'dads in the Creek are not as big as those in the lakes.

ROFL!!! Kinda silly law since you go to all that work to catch them specifically to kill and eat! Cant really kill+then store crawfish, its bad policy. I understand the law though is to stop them from bein' introduced to new environments, though theyre pretty much every where. Not a real enforcable law. And yes, to the other post, stream crawdads to me taste a bit cleaner, lest bottom-feederish (hard to explain) then most lakes. Probably cuz there is moving water that is cleaner than those lakes which so many people muck up. Yhe differnece is kind of similar to farm raised versus wild-caught catfish, as long as they havent been eating anything too nasty, both are good, but the one is just a bit sweeter, cleaner tasting.

For those who don't know it, a crawdad trap isn't needed to catch a mess of crawdads, just a fishing rod and reel, a piece of bacon, and a bucket. Tie the bacon to your line, then cast out, let it sit for a few minutes, then reel in slowly. If there are crawdads there, they'll grip the bacon and allow you to carefully drag them out and shake them into the bucket.

Bill Quimby

Exactly how we do it bill. Kind of a spot and stalk crawdad fishing haha. Drag that bacon right in front of them. Game over. Probably the funnest thing to take the kids to do my 2 year old son loves fishin for those "crabs" haha

Being from the south, I can give you the Cajun way to do them.

Purge (soak) them in salt water to clean the vein. Bring to boil a pot with corn, potato, lemons (cut in half), and sausage (precooked links). Add zatatans carb boil to taste. Drop them in live. Boil until shells turn red.

Cover a table with newspaper and dump them on the table. Break in half, suck the head, eat the tail followed by a beer chaser. The corn, potatoes and sausage is also excellent.

Being from the south, I can give you the Cajun way to do them.

Purge (soak) them in salt water to clean the vein. Bring to boil a pot with corn, potato, lemons (cut in half), and sausage (precooked links). Add zatatans carb boil to taste. Drop them in live. Boil until shells turn red.

Cover a table with newspaper and dump them on the table. Break in half, suck the head, eat the tail followed by a beer chaser. The corn, potatoes and sausage is also excellent.

That's how my family in Cutoff does it, just add mushrooms too.

I keep them alive in a bucket and keep changing the water every hour or so until the water clears up. When they have totally purged themselves, I pop them into salted boiling water and cook until firm.

Bill Quimby

purge baby purge!

James

On 7/1/2011 at 1:38 PM, John O said:

Yep, I know. Just didn't want to scare too many people away. Too late now. That's why we wash them really really well after stripping out the "Vein".

Couple photos of the day:

post-1571-0-65421200-1309552157_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-47349200-1309552175_thumb.jpg

Looks good 

The photos don't lie, homie!!

• Like 2