Elkhunter1

THIS HAPPENED TO ME!!!

In 6a, I took a buddy archery elk hunting, He bought some new hiking boots and they were causing blisters, so I told him to sit and rest awhile. I went a little ways to take a pee, when all of a sudden here came some cow elk heading right for us. I whispered at my buddy to get ready, and he did and made a shot on a big cow. After waiting a while, we started to proceed, when we say another hunter, so I told my buddy to go tell him not push up so fast, because we just shot a elk. Well my buddy comes back and says he shot one to, well it was the same elk. I told my buddy that he shot it first, so it was his well he wanted to split the elk up, so we did. Well this other hunter said his jeep was closer, so I went with him, and left my buddy with the elk. Well this guy was lost, and after a couple of hours I told him I had to get back to my buddy. Well here is the stupid part, we left the gps in the truck, so I was tying ribbon on trees, well the wind picked up and I never found my buddy. I decided to head back to the truck, because he might be their, well he wasn't and now it's late. So after awhile and hitch hiking back into town, I called search and rescue. They flew in with infra red and found a little fire where my buddy was. They called his name, and he thought they were aliens lol. They picked him up and he thanked me, after a long night the next morning we had the gps coordinates from dps, and went and got his elk. We found the other hunter that got lost and we all went together and retreived the elk.

Some years back, during a deer hunt in unit 27, I was driving down the highway one morning on my way to a spot that I wanted to check out. A small herd of deer ran across the road and down into a steep canyon. Since there was a decent buck in the group, I decided to park the truck and take off after them. The canyon was so steep it took me awhile to get down, and the deer were nowhere to be found, the tracks went up and over a steep ridge. I figured since I was already there I might as well spend the day, checking out the area. I proceeded to climb up a bluffy ridge to get to the top. There were places that I had to use both hands to help climb. As I was pulling my self over the top of a small pile of boulders, I came face to face with a skunk. It is one of life's "Oh crap" moments. :lol: He was looking at me with his tail raised, not happy with my intrusion. I was looking at him, and wondering how far down the ridge I would tumble if I let go of the boulder I was hanging on to. Fortunately, I just eased backwards, as slow as possible, and clawed my way back down to a safe level. I never did find those deer.

On another hunt in the same unit, it was a very warm season. I was climbing another steep bluffy spot, and came face to face with big King snake that was basking in the sunshine on a ledge that I poked my head over as I was climbing up. I thank God it was not a rattlesnake.

A number of years ago, when fur prices were good. I was driving home from Payson or somewhere on the Beeline. I just passed Ft. Hills and the car in front of me hit a coyote. I pulled over and threw it in the bed of my truck, with my lab. (back when I didn't know cars were not a legal method of take). Anyway, I drive on into Mesa (before Gilbert road went through) and stopped at the drive-through on Country Club/McKellips. I placed my order and pulled up to the window to get my burger. The gal came to the window to bring my food and she cringed and gave me a dirty look. She said something and went and got her manager. She pointed and then told me that I was disgusting! I am thinking I have a huge booger hanging of my nose or something. I then realized that they were looking into the back of my truck. I turned around and the coyote was alive, blood all over my white tool box and staring at the cashier! About that time my lap grabbed the coyote and shook it- blood was flying and it got on the drive through window. I just put it in gear and took off- laughing so hard I drove over the curb!

Then must have really thought I was a redneck! I think I got $20 for that coyote though!

• Like 1

My dad and I drew a deer hunt many years ago in unit 27. We were up in the hills behind the black river and we made our way to the top of a finger. We were walking slowly along the top of the finger about 30' apart when we heard movement coming from the valley. Apparently there were more hunters at the base of the valley and they spooked a herd of about 2 dozen cow elk. They came running up the side of the finger we were on right into us, and they had no idea we were there. We started waving our arms and rifles to get there attention because we were about to get mowed down. They slammed on the brakes and came to a complete stop with panick in there eyes. The herd split in half and about 10 of them split between my dad and I, and the rest crossed right in front of me. I had backpedaled toward a tree to get some cover, but it was still pretty hairy.

Last year during deer season I had a close call too. I was on a steep hillside glassing a valley & hills. There was only 1 way up and down this mountain, and it was a nasty cactus filled tromp. It was closing in on dusk when I heard movement coming up the hill from the valley to my left. I spotted a javalina coming across the hillside from my left to right. I stayed still and watched this javo as he slowly made his way across the hillside. He passed in front of me at about 12-15' and never new I was there. After he passed I knew I had to start making my way off the hill before dark but I knew there were probably more javo around behind me from the noise and the fact they travel in herds.

I made it about 30 yards across the hilltop before I spotted the next javo. I had drawn my 1911 when I got up to leave just in case. I stopped and tried to let the javo work his way away but he just mulled around and I finally made a noise to spook him on purpose to try and get him out of the way so I could continue my way to the nasty cactus filled hillside decent from the mountain. Unfortunately that wasn't the last javo I would see. About another 20-30 yards into my walk I hear a yipping coming from my right. It sounded like chiguagua dogs. I look to my right and spot 2 baby javo about 20-25yards to my right under a juniper tree. :( Then I hear what sounds almost like a dog woofing at me from back in the brush behind them.... Not Good. I thumb the safety off and started to backpedal immediately as calmly as I could but as quickly as I can without making to many quick aggresive moves. Thankfully my retreat worked and I got out of the danger zone and I finally worked my way around the hilltop to make my escape.

Good Times in the woods.

OK I'll add another one. Back in 2010 I was scouting for my dads first hunt for Coues. I parked the truck in a wash and walked up the wash about 100 yards or so then turned and headed up the ridge to my right to glass a large valley on the other side I had chased a few in during my Aug. bow hunt. After getting to my glassing spot, I got the tripod, binos and butt pad out and started glassing the opposing hill and valley when I started hearing some movement behind and to my left. I put my glasses on and looked over my shoulder to see 6 Javelina running right at me like someone lit their butts on fire. Four ran to my right, one to my left and the last one jumped over me and the Barrel Cactus I sat in front of. As I watched them run through the valley up and over the other hill, I checked my draws. I never saw what made them run like that until I was walking back to the truck. I saw Lion tracks in my boot prints that I walked in on. They were going in the same direction I was, "was she tracking me" I thought. Pucker factor of 10!!

• Like 1

When I was 13 or 14, dad and I were hunting deer near Hannigan's Meadow. Walking down an old logging road, it was windy out. There was a steep canyon below us and steep hill beside us. Had to take a leak, told my dad so and handed him my rifle. He stepped forward about 30' and kept his back to me as he started glassing the hills ahead.

I felt I'd made a big mistake giving dad my rifle when I could have just shouldered it. Suddenly a black bear walked into the road between dad and I. He'd been climbing up the canyon to our right and was now walking between me and pop. I didn't make a sound.

The bear walked over to a tree 15' to my left and was sniffing it and circling it. Then he lifted his leg like a dog and began pissing. A couple seconds later his eyes met mine and he realized he wasn't alone. He woofed at me a couple times, then spun around on his heels and shot up the hill.

So for an instance, we two strangers met there in the forest, answering natures call as one..

• Like 3

Back in 2014 on the Aug. Archery opener I found myself sitting on a ridge high up on Mt Lemmon quietly listening for movement from any one of the four bucks I found that Tuesday before not far away.  After around an hour I heard a noise above be, I sat still and intently listened. 10 minutes had passed then another noise but louder and CLOSER. Another 5 minutes passed then I heard something "running" down the ridge right at me, I turned to see a rock rolling past me, then another.  I looked up the ridge to see A BIG BLACK BEAR looking right at me.  He sidestepped reached over and rolled another large rock down at me!  All in all that bear rolled 5 or 6 rocks at me coming as close a 2 feet!

20882976_876573099175388_8360169291655482741_n.jpg

• Wow! 1