Sign in to follow this  

ruger 1911

i see ruger is making a 1911 .45 acp now. anybody handle one yet? i've been wanting to buy a 1911 made in 2011. was leaning toward a colt naturally, but the ruger is interesting. it is stainless, which is ok, but i'd rather have a blue one. anyway,if anyone has seen one, let's hear about it. hopefully it ain't like their side by side double shotgun that they only made a handfull of and took several years to get on the shelf. Lark.

The Ruger 1911 is the next gun on my to buy list. They seem hard to find right now but hopefully later this year they will be easier to find. My son is hogging his Taurus 1911, so I guess I'll get my own. Thanks for the link Chef. Gotta love that guys beard...... :unsure:

Thanks for the link Chef. Gotta love that guys beard...... :unsure:

Posted the wrong link first.

...but yeah, that guys beard on GunBlast is pretty stylish. He must be related to Lark or somethin'

The current first vid is the one I wanted to post first.

How would you like to have that shooting range in YOUR backyard? FUN!

Bought one last week, and am so far very impressed. Hopefully get to shoot it tomorrow. My attempts to upload some bad cell phone pics failed.

Lark,

I have never shot or handled one, but a lot of people I know on other sites have handled them a lot and they are very impressed.

I dont know the price on the ruger but the charse daliy has a nice 1911 for a very fair price. I shot one competitively for years. They come with more extras than most.... my 2 cents

suggested retail on the ruger site is 799. should be able to get one for a little less. at least after the new wears off. they might be a little higher to start because of demand. i'm gonna hafta see if i can fine one to look at. i still think i want a blue colt. just have to see what i can find. ain't there a gun show next weekend? Lark.

i thnk chef oughta go bu one and give us a report. Lark.

I'm still saving pennies to be able to shoot my Spingfield TRP as much as I like!

Or my Para, or my Colt, or... LOL!

suggested retail on the ruger site is 799. should be able to get one for a little less. at least after the new wears off. they might be a little higher to start because of demand. i'm gonna hafta see if i can fine one to look at. i still think i want a blue colt. just have to see what i can find. ain't there a gun show next weekend? Lark.

Check out "Bearmountainsports.com" they have them listed at $586.99 none in stock though. It says contact retailer. Yes there is a gun show next weekend.

Sure looks like a decent piece. However, to know one, you'd really have to shoot one. Also, I'd check out the safety mechanism. I think that most 1911 guys would tell you the Colt 70 Series System (or similar) provides the best balance of a working safety without causing malfunctions. After buying and using a Kimber for about a year, I decided to sell it. Gun was an absolute TACK DRIVER, but I had misgivings about the issues I was reading about with their safety. Easy enough to fix if you had the issue, but you had to recognize it prior to your life being on the line. I decided that I'd keep carrying the HK USP for now (absolutely bulletproof, if a bit less accurate)and maybe do something later with a 1911 ... probably a Colt ... can't go wrong there.

sjvcon,

Could you elaborate on the Kimber safety issue? I have a Kimber and love it but I have not heard of any problems or encountered any problems with the safety.

Lee

sjvcon,

Could you elaborate on the Kimber safety issue? I have a Kimber and love it but I have not heard of any problems or encountered any problems with the safety.

Lee

The Kimber has what is called a Schwartz Safety. This is an excerpt from an article by Hilton Yam that pretty much says it all:

"The platforms utilizing the Swartz safety are a less than ideal choice across the board due to the inherent reliability problems of the design. The Swartz safety is extremely sensitive to the fit of the grip safety to the frame and the timing of the grip safety's trigger blocking arm. Tolerance issues can also lead to a Swartz safety that will time properly when the grip safety is depressed a certain way, and time differently when depressed a different way. This will typically be a product of loose fit of the grip safety to the frame tangs and/or loose fit of the thumb safety shaft through the grip safety. It is possible to have the grip safety timed such that the trigger will be able to release the sear well before the firing pin safety plunger has been moved far enough to clear the firing pin. Problems with improper timing of the Swartz safeties can lead to a situation where you get a "click" when you wanted a "bang." That's a serious problem."

I have read stories where the slide on a Kimber is put on with the grip safety partially depressed, causing damage to part of the mechanism. If you don't notice the damage, you could think you will have a pistol that will fire and all you get is a click. A lot of the 1911 forums have information on this problem.

I liked the accuracy of the pistol ... just didn't like this potential for failure. Decided that a different 1911 without the Schwartz system would be better for me. That is totally a personal opinion, and I'm not slamming Kimber. Heck, S&W has the same system. It's just not for me. I'll stick with the 70 Series style from now on.

sjvcon,

Lee

The Kimber has what is called a Schwartz Safety. This is an excerpt from an article by Hilton Yam that pretty much says it all:

"The platforms utilizing the Swartz safety are a less than ideal choice across the board due to the inherent reliability problems of the design. The Swartz safety is extremely sensitive to the fit of the grip safety to the frame and the timing of the grip safety's trigger blocking arm. Tolerance issues can also lead to a Swartz safety that will time properly when the grip safety is depressed a certain way, and time differently when depressed a different way. This will typically be a product of loose fit of the grip safety to the frame tangs and/or loose fit of the thumb safety shaft through the grip safety. It is possible to have the grip safety timed such that the trigger will be able to release the sear well before the firing pin safety plunger has been moved far enough to clear the firing pin. Problems with improper timing of the Swartz safeties can lead to a situation where you get a "click" when you wanted a "bang." That's a serious problem."

I have read stories where the slide on a Kimber is put on with the grip safety partially depressed, causing damage to part of the mechanism. If you don't notice the damage, you could think you will have a pistol that will fire and all you get is a click. A lot of the 1911 forums have information on this problem.

I liked the accuracy of the pistol ... just didn't like this potential for failure. Decided that a different 1911 without the Schwartz system would be better for me. That is totally a personal opinion, and I'm not slamming Kimber. Heck, S&W has the same system. It's just not for me. I'll stick with the 70 Series style from now on.

Thanks for the info. The safety on mine has always worked flawlessly and never have gotten a click instead of a bang. Definitely will monitor the function of the safety from here on out. I love that Kimber and would hate to get rid of it, but it needs to go bang when I pull the trigger!