Sign in to follow this  

ruger 1911

I understand about the safety issue, but my personal thought is if youve never had a issue, and you dig the gun why get rid of it?

I've read alot of negatives about Kimbers... feeding, accuracy, QC etc etc.... Although I've only had 3 of them, my 2 rifles were/are accurate as all get out, and I have never desired anything from my 1911. Feed perfectly, shoots straight and is a joy to shoot and carry.

I understand about the safety issue, but my personal thought is if youve never had a issue, and you dig the gun why get rid of it?

I've read alot of negatives about Kimbers... feeding, accuracy, QC etc etc.... Although I've only had 3 of them, my 2 rifles were/are accurate as all get out, and I have never desired anything from my 1911. Feed perfectly, shoots straight and is a joy to shoot and carry.

Several times putting it together, I could feel the slide bumping that plunger part on the top of the frame that gets damaged ... maybe it's my big hands that depress that grip safety ever so slightly. I just felt like it was a matter of time before I hammered that part. Like I said, nothing against Kimber ... just feel like another 1911 with a different safety system would be better for me.

On a positive note, I don't think the Ruger 1911 has that type of system. Easy enough to check for. Just field strip it and look for a little "plunger" on the top of the right side of the frame. It would push upward when the grip safety is depressed. If you look at the same vicinity on the slide, there will be a corresponding "button" that would depress with the "punger". I'll look at one when I get the chance ... who knows, maybe I'll buy it ... price sure seems reasonable.

Okay ... so the biggest problem I have found with this pistol is that NO ONE HAS IT. Ruger is apparently only able to make a limited number per day, and they cannot keep up with the demand. All the reviews are really good. 70 Series Safety style, so no firing pin safety. Inexpensive. NOT AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frustrating ... I had made up my mind to buy one.

i agree. i drove all over town a couple weeks ago to see if i could just hold one. nobody had one and they all said whe they got one it was gone within the day. must be a good gun. Lark.

Well ... Cabela's called me tonight and they are holding a Ruger SR1911 for me for 5 Days. $749. A little higher than some other dealers, but it's there waiting for me. Think I'm going to have to at least go hold it and see if I want it.

That's about what I paid for mine. Demand for them keeps the price high, and I doubt that supply will catch up with demand anytime soon. That said, I don't regret the purchase one bit, and I wouldn't be surprised if you bought the pistol on the spot after handling it.

Good luck!

I have eyeballed the Ruger in a couple of magazines and have thought about adding one to my safe. But I also found a Series 80 Colt Commander at a pawn shop that has been there a while, the longer they sit the more haggling room there is.

Hopefully some of you can educate me, I haven't been around a 1911 since I got out of the Corps more years ago than I want to own up to. Any issues with an 80? I'm leaning towards a smaller 1911 to carry on my scouting/hunting packs, I have enough weight as it is so smaller is better for me.

I have eyeballed the Ruger in a couple of magazines and have thought about adding one to my safe. But I also found a Series 80 Colt Commander at a pawn shop that has been there a while, the longer they sit the more haggling room there is.

Hopefully some of you can educate me, I haven't been around a 1911 since I got out of the Corps more years ago than I want to own up to. Any issues with an 80? I'm leaning towards a smaller 1911 to carry on my scouting/hunting packs, I have enough weight as it is so smaller is better for me.

Colt has generally been the "Gold Standard" of 1911's. I don't think you can go wrong with a Colt. The Series 80 has a firing pin block safety, but it can be converted from what I understand, to the 70 Series non-block. The 70 Series configuration is more desireable by most law enforcement and hard core shooters. With all that said, you just can't go wrong with a Colt.

I did pick up the Ruger yesterday. Nice piece. Can't wait to shoot it. It will probably need a little work on the trigger and some front strap checkering. Other than that, and some adjustable night sights, this thing looks well put together. The guy who waited on me at Cabelas, an affirmed 1911 guy, said the Ruger is the best gun he's seen for the money, and is comparable to guns that are much higher priced.

Is the trigger too heavy? Too much creep?

Congrats on your new purchase.

Don't forget to give us a range report.

go shoot that thing and tell us about it. i want to buy a 1911 in 2011 and only have 4 months left. heck, maybe i'll buy 2. i really want one of the new gov't model colts that have the anniversary stamped on the slide. but i sure like the ruger too. when is the next gun show? Lark.

Lark, the next gun show is september 24th-25th at the mesa convention center I believe.

The trigger has a little bit of take up (which I prefer), but is not too heavy at all in my opinion. Maybe 4 1/2 pounds? Its smooth as silk, and breaks clean.

I have a couple hundred rounds through mine now.

EDIT: There is also a gun show at the phoenix fairgrounds September 10th-11th

cool, maybe i'll be up and around enough to make the mesa show. it ain't too big and you don't have to stand up so long there. it's gonna be awhile before i can do a big one i think. i really really really need another .45. to right there with the holes in my head. Lark.

The trigger does seem to break clean and is not heavy at all. I'd guess about the same ... 4.5#. The uptake is what I'd like to eliminate. I like a trigger that breaks right from the pull. Just a preference thing.

I am going to the range to shoot tomorrow. Probably 200-300 rounds tomorrow. I'll post a review when I get back. If it shoots like I've been told, I am sure I am going to be happy.

Okay ... not good at Range Reports, but here goes.

Took the new Ruger to Cunningham's today and ran 200 rounds freehand (no rest) down the pipe. Pardon my shooting ... it's not the pistol so much as me. It did shoot a little low left for me if I didn't really focus. But that is on me.

First 20 rounds at 7 yards:

Same target with a total of 100 rounds at 10 yards ... couple of flyers in there:

New target with 100 rounds at 15 yards ... started a little low and left, but improved a bit. Need to improve a bit more:

I'd start this by saying WOW. If you want a "Meat and Potatoes" 1911, I think you'd be hard pressed to find one as good as this. It doesn't have all the features that some other guns have, but it has a much smaller price tag too. The trigger is very crisp, and is fairly light. I'd still like to get a little of the uptake out of it, so I'll be off to a 'Smith as soon as I find a good one for 1911's. It is smooth operating and tight, but not overly so. When I did my part, it functioned without flaw. No FTF's or FTB's like my Kimber. I say when I did my part, because it is prone to the same user error as other 1911's. It stovepiped a couple later in the shooting, but I limp wristed them (once by accident and once on purpose). The machine work looks good. The magazine release is a little stiff, but I figure that will wear in a little. The 7 round magazine is very good. The 8, not as good, as it was very tight and stiff to load. I may send it to Ruger to have them look at it (feels like it needs opened a little), or maybe I'll just get a WC or Ed Brown Magazine or two and call it good. All in all, I was really impressed. It is a great pistol right out of the box. I don't really HAVE to do anything to it. I just want to. But what a great starting point!!! I look forward to shooting it a lot ... and trying to improve my shooting ... that's going to take some work.

Have to thank you for pointing this one out Lark. I may have never looked at it without reading your post.