Ace High Benny

"The Draw" and a new topic....

I have been checked several times over the years. But too I have been read the riot act. One time my dad was archery antelope hunting and a game and fish officer pulled up and checked my dads buddy's lic and tag while my dad was out on a stalk. The game and fish officer proceeded to yell and scream at my dad that he had to come off his stalk so he could check his lic and tag when he was within 120 yards of the antelope and this was a 80+ inch buck. My dad proceeded to give the officer the California howdy and continue on his stalk. Some people just have the complex that they have power and need to be A holes. I have no problem being checked but be polite once you figure out the people you are dealing with are law abiding citizens..........

Between my son and I we have been checked probably 6 times?

Never once had a bad experience. One time in 33, the officer glassed up a buck and asked my bro in law if he wanted to go shoot it (the officer would help).

Another time in 33 the officer shared a bunch of info on turkey releases (we saw boxes in the back of te truck and asked what they were)...again great encounter.

The officer knew about the lion we killed in my avatar before he even checked the tag (he came into camp....) wonder how he knew?

One of the funniest stories of all time is when two buddies were hunting and the offer checked one and he had the previous year's license with him (not the current year)....we still give him a bunch of crap for having to take the ride of shame..... the officer did his job.

if there is one thing the azgfd could do to improve how they are percieved it would be to make sure folks who aren't breaking the law are able to go away with a positive outlook. they really need to work on some consistency in the way they deal with people. when they catch a poacher, run him in the dirt, who cares. but don't treat joe hunter like he's a bad guy. over the years i've seen about a half dozen game wardens go way past stupid in the way they treat folks. i did forget about a good contact i had with a warden about 5 years ago. i was elk hunting with a guy who was a mile or so away off in a canyon with another guy. i glassed up some bulls in a canyon next to the highway. the guy with the tag finally wandered back to the road and i got his attention and he ran down to where i was. i was pointing out the bulls, while we were right on the side of the highway, when a warden drove up and stopped. as he got out he said to go ahead and shoot, he'd check us later. he busted a 5x6, the guy checked his tag, said congratulations and left. i think he didn't wanna get roped into helping us punk it to the road. no law was broken. he could see the situation and just went with it. worked out good all around. but anymore i think that is the exception. when i was a kid there was a notorious jerk warden that even the other wardens hated. it was dec 31 and me and my dad were varmint calling. when we came back to the truck this jackass was there and he started telling my dad how lucky he was it wasn't a day later because he'd get a ticket for no license. really started to lecture and threaten. i bet his ears are still ringin' from what my ol' mad told him. Lark.

I got checked last fall in 13A pronghorn hunting. Ran into the wm supervisor on opening day and stopped to chat with him. He checked my license and tag and we parted ways. Two days later while driving back out to one of the main roads with my buck I just killed, he was there waiting for me at the junction. He checked my license and tag again, took some data, gave his congrats and I was on my way. Very professional IMO. I do think he was watching me the day I killed my buck to be right there as I was leaving the area. Kinda suprised to see him then and there, but I was with a guy that wasn't hunting so maybe he was just making sure I tagged my buck and there was no funny business. I've been checked by the feds dove hunting in Yuma and I'll deal with the AZ guys anyday over the feds. That guy wanted to write one of us a ticket in the worst way. He dressed up like a hunter went out in the field near us and waited till we were about done then came and checked our group. I kinda wondered why he wasn't shooting much. Only checked fishing once on the canal near Yuma again.

I have been checked about 5 times when I used to hunt 32 a lot. After a couple years the wm would just stop and chat with us and never checked us. Been checked in 24a 1 time during an archery hunt couple years ago, never even see them during a rifle hunt in 24a.

In the last 15 years of guiding a bunch of clients and hunting for myself in AZ I was checked once in 1998, after we had killed our deer and were packing up camp. I rarley see a G&F officer durring a hunt, maybe that is because I am no where near a road. Even when I actually witnessed someone poach a deer, and called it in to opperation game thief, they never showed up!

We have been checked a few times. Units 10, 8, 18B, 20B, and 34B. All good encounters. Very positive enteractions with WM's and the few supervisors who have checked us. Been checked a few times when I have taken out my nephews, and they have all been good in talking with the kids. I would say most of the time we were asked to show license and tag.

We were checked by the old WM (not the current guy) in 34B like 5 years ago. He checked us in the field after we harvested a buck. I guess he glassed the whole thing, because he showed up out of nowhere (we were not close to a road) after we started cleaning the buck. He offered to help us if needed. Nice guy.

I enjoy seeing AZGFD rangers out and about and would actually like to see more.

+1

+1 tipped us on a 340 class bull a couple years ago, good guys, usually.

I knocked a bull over last year just before dark. I shot it in a big meadow next to the road and the dang thing died 20' from the road. I tagged him and was elbow deep in guts when the young game warden drove up. He was nice and did the chit chat while looking at the tag and writing the information down. He then asked to see my license...I gave him that "WTF" look and didn't say anything for 30 seconds and then told him to hang around for 10 minutes when I would be glad to pull the license out of my pant pocket. I keep it in a money clip in my front pocket and told him he could fish for it if he wanted otherwise he'd have to wait and help load the bull. He was nice and said there was a report of some guys spotlighting in the area so he'd have to go.

I've had some bad encounters in the past but this guy was way good. We get checked every time we draw unit 1 elk.

In 1998 I killed a bull in unit 9 and was driving down a dirt road celebrating with the bull in the back of the truck.

Saw lights in the rearview and pulled over. It was the Coconino County Sheriff and he proceeded to check my license

and tag. Said they were having a real problem with poaching. It was a pleasant enough encounter.

I always like it when I get checked. Sometimes, maybe more than I like to admit, you have to flag them down. Once you talk with them, they usually do the "check". I've been hunting in AZ for decades now, most of the time, if you actually encounter an AZGF official, they are very busy, and can tell right away if you are following the rules or not.

I ran into a "unit manager" for 24A a while back, maybe 5+ years. She was patrolling the horseshoe-bend area between Globe and the Salt. Her truck was full of white bags filled with beer cans. I always look back on that time when GMU were so involved. I actually felt bad that she was out there picking up after drunk kids just to be sure that the private areas would still be accessible to the rest of us.

If you don't like G&F policies, join the club, but get to know the guys and gals actually charged with monitoring the activities in the units you hunt. They're good folks, just like us, that want to see the best, but they have to deal with all kinds of crap in their day-to-day routine.

I fully support the people in AZ G&F that are out there checking tags, fighting poachers, just doing a thankless, low-paying job that they hope will bring sportsmen and the state a little closer to finally figuring out how to manage this awesome country we all love to hunt.

Thought I'd just share a recent positive G&F story. Pulled up on one of my cameras an there was a game and fish truck parked there. Headed in towards the location and met up with him a short walk later. Real cool guy. I know hes rather new to this unit and suspect hes just been out getting to know the area since hes shown up on my cams more than once. We chatted a bit and went on our way. Its good to see theres some new guys coming in who seem dedicated to the dept. and not just using it as a stepping stone to their next law enforcement position.

And for the record I've been tag/licensed checked on many occasions never a negative encounter.

Other than an ability to draw tags, I must be lucky. I have had numerous encounters with G&F in the field and they were all very positive. One of them even helped take a few pictures of a buck. I've probably jinxed myself and they will ask for 4 forms of i.d. fingerprints and a social security card.

I get checked almost every year.

Game Warden thought I had shot a doe a few yaers back because he was hunting in the same general area with his daughter and all he seen were does so he showed up at my house to talk shop but never really came out and asked me what I had shot. He recognized my Dad and truck. He wanted to come in the house and talk but I stopped him at the front door. Getting around the search warrant.