Sign in to follow this  
cjack

Coon Canyon Unit 1

I have a antlerless archery tag for early August in the Coon Canyon area of Unit 1. Coming from out of state and never been to the area. No scouting has been done due to the Wallow fire. Any insight or information on the current condition of the area would help in calming my nerves. To top it off this is also my first elk hunt. Anyone been to the area? Any scouting done?

Thanks!

If I read the regulations correctly, you have a tag for any antlerless elk.....that should be semi easy. Bad news is that much of Coon Canyon (South Fork Area) got hit pretty good by the Wallow Fire. Much of Coon Canyon is covered in straw at the moment.

A special thanks goes out to the United State Forest Circus for their mismanagement and squandering of OUR forests. Not only have they wasted billions of board feet of lumber, but they have ruined habitat, and devastated waters for "native and endangered" fish species for everything south of the White Mountains.

YES I have a chip on my shoulder, BUT I'm sure there is a great possibility of being successful on your hunt.

If I read the regulations correctly, you have a tag for any antlerless elk.....that should be semi easy. Bad news is that much of Coon Canyon (South Fork Area) got hit pretty good by the Wallow Fire. Much of Coon Canyon is covered in straw at the moment.

A special thanks goes out to the United State Forest Circus for their mismanagement and squandering of OUR forests. Not only have they wasted billions of board feet of lumber, but they have ruined habitat, and devastated waters for "native and endangered" fish species for everything south of the White Mountains.

YES I have a chip on my shoulder, BUT I'm sure there is a great possibility of being successful on your hunt.

Sounds like I've stumbled into a sensitive subject. I know very little about the nature of the Wallow fire but I do know that it was one of if not the most devistating fires in Arizona history. I assume you are refering to a mismanagement of the fire and coming from a state that deals with wildfires yearly I can say I was surprised at how this fire spread and the lack of effect some of the backfires appeared to have. Not an expert on fires or elk hunting and I do apreciate the input. Thanks

From what I have heard some of that area is supose to open up on August first for scouting and hunting. I am not possitive of the boundry for coon canyon hunt but if you can get on the back side of the 26 Bar ranch and catch them coming out of town would be nice.

DCM