Sign in to follow this  
P.R.I

Dec Muzzleloader

I was lucky enough to draw a Dec muzzleloader tag in units 39,40,41,and 42 was just wondering if anyone else has been on this hunt? how you did? any pointers or info? and if i should concentrate on one particular unit? Thanks for any help

I was lucky enough to draw a Dec muzzleloader tag in units 39,40,41,and 42 was just wondering if anyone else has been on this hunt? how you did? any pointers or info? and if i should concentrate on one particular unit? Thanks for any help

The pic below came from that hunt as well as another 155 buck I dont have a pic of. You wont see a lot of deer but there are some good ones. find the water...you can go days and see the same group of 5 or 6 does then a toad will show up. If you dont have access to some of the fields through out the units plan on doing a lot of glassing im willing to help if you want to PM me with a number or I will send you mine....Its a tough hunt but when that monster comes over the ridge after 4 days of glassing the same flats it makes it all worth it...I have missed some 180 plus on that hunt.

post-2362-0-55612400-1313461293_thumb.jpg

post-2362-0-11194000-1313461322_thumb.jpg

Its an awesome hunt but dont limit yourself to just one unit. I like 42 but 41 is as good. If your interested in a outfitter then southwest hunting adventure is definetly number 1. Nobody has put down more deer in the 40's units.

I've had this hunt several times. It can be a very tough hunt but if you stay after it you can get onto some great bucks. I used to center my time on 42 because I grew up there but it is beginning to get more pressure than I like. I have a friend that had the tag last year. We hunted in 39. He killed a beautiful 4x4 that pushed 170 and blew an opportunity on his buck's buddy. Another guy took that one a few days later. He grossed 193.

I agree with ruthunter. Southwest Hunting Adventures is as good as they get when it comes to finding monster desert muleys. Travis and Troy know their stuff.