Sign in to follow this  
daryl_s

Bear Opener

Went to go scout out 24A/B yesterday, but didn't even get the chance to leave the vehicle because the rain was so bad. My buddy and I are leaving tomorrow night around 10pm and are going to find a decent spot in the dark to crash. We plan on being up before sunrise glassing like crazy, and then leaving after sunset. Pending results, we may be back all next weekend. :D

Spent all day Sunday hunting. Had a great time, even though the hunt was miserable. Spotted four coues bucks, a doe, a fox, and got charged by a fawn. We spent Saturday night in the Mazatals, up high. Saw a Toyota Tundra with a CWT sticker as we were leaving. Hope he had better luck than us.

Was told to check out Punkin Center, so we took a road that took forever and didn't get us to more than 4000 feet. Turned around and headed up the back side of Four Peaks. Spent close to eight hours looking for water, glassing, and and getting sunburned.

I have learned that the Mazatals, Mt. Orm, Four Peaks, and everywhere in between are covered in manzanita and other thick sharp bushes. It was dang near impossible to leave the roads and check out the washes. Also, we couldn't find any water. No water= no bears. I am 100% sure if we could locate water, we will see something.