Sign in to follow this  
Mangum

fur friendly load

Well I do not have the money to spend on a .223 right now so I am trying to turn my .308 into a fur fiendly rifle.

I did some reasearch in different reloading manuals and on-line. I think I have come up with what might be an okay load.

It is a 110 grain v-max infront of 27 grains of IMR 4198. This load will give me about 2000 feet per second and about 800 foot punds of energy.

point blank range will be about 200 yards. If the coyote is farther than that then I probably won't be able to hit him anyway.

What do you all think. Will it be very fur friendly? Has anyone ever tried something like this before with success?

i don't think a vmax is gonna be too good on furs, no matter how slow you shoot it. best bullet i ever found for furs is a hornady hpbt match, in .22 cal. they are target bullets and seem to have a harder and thicker jacket and don't explode like most hp's and plastic tipped bullets. .30 cal ain't gonna be a real "fur friendly" bullet in about anything. no more than coyotes are worth anymore tho, who cares? blow em in half. Lark.

Know what the best bullet for coyotes is? The bullet in the gun you have with you.

Know which gun is the best for coyoyes? The gun you have with you.

Basically, what Lark is saying is true. BUT if I was you, Id run something like a TSX slow so it acts more like a FMJ and doesnt expand .308 in .308" out!

Since I posted I've done some more reading and you are right, a v-max will probably destroy what ever I shot with them.

I might give those tsx's a try. The reason I want the furs is I am trying to do a little project with them. My wife loves to sew and

quilt. So we want to get some tanned and try to make a fur quilt out of them. I don't know we'll see how it goes.

Well I do not have the money to spend on a .223 right now so I am trying to turn my .308 into a fur fiendly rifle.

I did some reasearch in different reloading manuals and on-line. I think I have come up with what might be an okay load.

It is a 110 grain v-max infront of 27 grains of IMR 4198. This load will give me about 2000 feet per second and about 800 foot punds of energy.

point blank range will be about 200 yards. If the coyote is farther than that then I probably won't be able to hit him anyway.

What do you all think. Will it be very fur friendly? Has anyone ever tried something like this before with success?

vmaxs will in fact fly great but they will blow the heck out of what ever you hit.

Know what the best bullet for coyotes is? The bullet in the gun you have with you.

Basically, what Lark is saying is true. BUT if I was you, Id run something like a TSX slow so it acts more like a FMJ and doesnt expand .308 in .308" out!

I agree, use a TSX, loaded for no expansion cuz I would never have fmj ammo on my person in the field, in case I run into 2 or 4 legged coyotes!

Oh, and I've only shot one coyote with a 85gr TSX from a 243. Let's just say it was NOT .243" out. Closer to 5". From what I've read, the no expansion theory doesn't pan out on fur. It still makes a big hole. But try it out, report back.

I agree, use a TSX, loaded for no expansion cuz I would never have fmj ammo on my person in the field, in case I run into 2 or 4 legged coyotes!

Not to mention FMJ is illegal to hunt with in AZ

For quilting, I'm not sure how fur friendly you need to be. Blow 'em in half, as lark says, and quilt the halves :P

My wife and I were just reading this post together. lol. no I think my wife is rotfl. It's funny you say that because the smallest squares that my wife has used has been one and a half inch squares. I don't know if I want to go that small on this project though! even halves might be too small:)

I am loading up some 110gr sierras today. I will let you all know how they work.

Just my opnion, but I think you need to move heavier (and slower) instead of light. Fast usually equals a mess.... For example, from my 22-250 40 grainers were nasty nasty nasty. The 50 NBT rarely exited. I just found a 1/2" load with the 68 HPBT from my AR and will be using that this winter.

I love handloading ammo. I loaded up 40 .308 brass with 27 gr of imr 4198 behind a 110 gr sierra varmintor.

I havn't shot them through a crono or anything but my guess is they are traveling at about 1800 feet per second.

It's awesome. My .308 now kicks about like a .223 and does about the same damage.

My brother and I went out to see if we could feed one of them to a coyote. At about 5:30 we acomplished just that and

to mine and my brothers surprise fur damage was very light. Here are a couple of pics to show our success. post-2259-0-30318900-1315711303_thumb.jpgpost-2259-0-44564500-1315711342_thumb.jpgpost-2259-0-60997100-1315711406_thumb.jpg

Some of the varmint factory loaded ammo is supposed to be super explosvie so it comes apart inside only and doesnt come out the other side for the reasons you are wanting, however alot of them do go through and it usually is a huge mess. I think Firstcoues point of bigger and slower on a cartridge could work. The 110's you loaded though seemed to keep the damage down per that picture. I am going to start trying the same thing but in .243 to see what keeps the damage to a minimum for that caliber.