doogan

36c november tag

My brother in laws and I drew our first coues tags in 36c, none of us have hunted that unit and are looking for any info that anyone would be willing to give us. I have heard around the Elkhorn ranch is a good area, and also the bottom third of the unit. We will be scouting in about two weeks, and continue till the hunt starts. Anyone have any other ideas on where to start? Thanks

My wife had the tag last year in November. Be prepared to do a lot of hiking up the mountains. High in the mountains was where most of the hunters were tagging bigger bucks, and where most of the deer were seen. Some nice ones up there if you can do some steep hiking.

First post, and already trolling for spots...

Hike, hike, and glass, you'll figure it out, and it will mean more to you after the hard work.

First post, and already trolling for spots...

Hike, hike, and glass, you'll figure it out, and it will mean more to you after the hard work.

Hahaha, not asking for gps coordinates, just a decent place to start looking

If I have my way there will be one less buck in the unit by the time you start your hunt. :)

If I have my way there will be one less buck in the unit by the time you start your hunt. :)

I hope so too! Git 'R Done! then tell me where his Grandaddy is! hahaha

For the last couple years we have had tags in 36b and 32. As time has been limited we have not had much time to scout. We have had luck locating them with a good glass close to water. Scan he hill sides under the ocotillo. I know this sound elementary but I think tactic over specific location all day long as deer can be very mobile not to mention you have a later hunt and you can bet nothing is going to be in pattern. Good luck

BG

+1 for me, and +1 for ruffcountry

My advice too you is to get away from the roads. Elkhorn ranch is ok for a base camp but an absolute zoo with tons of hunters and campers. I've hunted this unit for 24 years now, and it's just as good now as in the old days. Find some nice country where you can hike into and start from there. Again no roads. Kings Anvil is a large ranch with ample areas. The only thing is no OTVs and no wood cutting allowed. We have the Thanksgiving hunt and we started scouting two weeks ago. As far as an AR for a rifle. 10-5 years ago it was loaded with UDAs. But have'nt seen em there in 5 years. No trash just bottles every now and then. Does'nt mean there not there, but we feel safe. Last year we had the opener hunt and I'll never hunt it again. We killed rattlers every morning and afternoon, so if it's hot watch out. The grass is'nt as high as last year but stepping on sponge and hearing rattles in high grass is not for us. Like I said, Get away from the roads, and you'll love this unit. Hint(ocotillo slopes).

My advice too you is to get away from the roads. Elkhorn ranch is ok for a base camp but an absolute zoo with tons of hunters and campers. I've hunted this unit for 24 years now, and it's just as good now as in the old days. Find some nice country where you can hike into and start from there. Again no roads. Kings Anvil is a large ranch with ample areas. The only thing is no OTVs and no wood cutting allowed. We have the Thanksgiving hunt and we started scouting two weeks ago. As far as an AR for a rifle. 10-5 years ago it was loaded with UDAs. But have'nt seen em there in 5 years. No trash just bottles every now and then. Does'nt mean there not there, but we feel safe. Last year we had the opener hunt and I'll never hunt it again. We killed rattlers every morning and afternoon, so if it's hot watch out. The grass is'nt as high as last year but stepping on sponge and hearing rattles in high grass is not for us. Like I said, Get away from the roads, and you'll love this unit. Hint(ocotillo slopes).

+1 Get a topo map and find an area that you can hike a mile or two in the dark and get set up. Fortunately there are UDA trail's in every canyon so you should be able to move quick and quietly. Good luck and the further you get away from roads down south the bigger the bucks get.