Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Grandpas Antelope

My grandpa drew his first antelope tag in 18B this year with 17 points. I have never hunted antelope before this year and it really is a blast. I had taken three trips before the hunt to get an idea of the area and try and find some antelope. The first trip we seen over 50 so we thought we would be able to be some what selective before we took a buck.

We drove up thursday night and set camp up in the dark and left camp pretty early before the sun came up to try to be the first ones out there. Opening morning around 8:30 we seen one buck by him self that we ended up passing on.

We went the rest of the day not seeing any antelope at all which got to be a little discouraging because my grandpa doesn't like to take much time off to go hunting cause someones got to take care of the business. So I wasn't really sure how much time I was going to get out of him before he had enough.

About 530 opening day I pulled over to do some more glassing and as soon as I looked through the scope I seen about 15 antelope all lined up on the top of the far ridge. I got my gear all packed up and ready to head out after them when they all moved along the top to the west.

We drove the truck down the road a little ways to get a little closer before we started walking. parked the truck and started walking. When we finally ran out of cover we found the antelope out in the middle of a big flat and too far for a shot.

We backed out and went all the way around hidden in the cover to a small hill that they were feeding next to. We got on top of the hill and was on the antelope from the opposite side than where we started. When we peeked over the edge the antelope had fed right into where we popped out.

We dropped the packs and I got the video camera set up while he found a comfortable spot to set up one the bipod. We had time to sit and watch them a few minutes and then I gave him the range. 270 yards. He found the buck got a good rest and took the shot before i even knew what happened.

The buck only went about 60 yards before falling over. He's not a big buck but it sure made the old man happy and the whole thing was great time even though it only lasted a day.

The video didn't turn out the best but i'll try to post it up once I figure out how to do some editing.

post-4673-0-30411500-1315862079_thumb.jpg

post-4673-0-65709600-1315862094_thumb.jpg

post-4673-0-03678500-1315862109_thumb.jpg

post-4673-0-74969500-1315862118_thumb.jpg