Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

My Two Best Huntin Partners

post-1903-0-65931200-1315892244_thumb.jpgThese are my two best huntin partners at this moment in my life. Dad called me yesterday and said he wanted to go dove hunting. Last year he said he was done hunting and it was hard to except, since he turned 83, but it is what it is. He got his second wind, I guess, and I'm pumped that he got another spark and I drove him out to my dove spot for him to shoot some doves. My friend Ted Bounds loaned him his 20ga, since Dad's was being fixed, and he shot it very well. Dad shot 6 doves and my Lexie retrieved every bird for him. Lexie wore her pads down to the point she couldn't walk yeasterday very well but I booted her up today so she could hunt with Dad maybe his last time out. It was the first time Lexie ever was booted up and she was a site to see. Lexie fell down a couple times and looked like a Clinesdale running around. lol Dad and I got a great laugh out of her but she was a trooper and retrieved every bird but was wondering what I had done to her feet. Dad shot 6 birds and I got 7 with probably a 40 mile an hour wind. It was tough but a dove hunt I will never forget anytime soon. You just don't know when it will be the last hunt together so if you get the chance to hunt with your Dad, Mother, Uncle, Aunt, Brother, Sister, friend, or whoever, take the time and enjoy.

Dad at 82 & Lexie at 1&1/2

post-1903-0-36891100-1315892145_thumb.jpg

Dad having a blast shooting doves

post-1903-0-65931200-1315892244_thumb.jpg

Lexie, my other best friend

post-1903-0-17378400-1315892271_thumb.jpg

She deserves my chair.

post-1903-0-65004000-1315892316_thumb.jpg

There is no better feeling than spending quality time in the field with your dad! Hope you and your dad have many more years ahead.

That's an awesome dove hunt right there. Glad to see your dad and Lexie having a great time.

Never put boots on Kade but I can imagine it would be a little awkward for them :)

That's an awesome dove hunt right there. Glad to see your dad and Lexie having a great time.

Never put boots on Kade but I can imagine it would be a little awkward for them :)

Lexie wore a couple pads off her paws and could hardly walk the day before this hunt. Put these boots on for the first time yesterday and it was hilarous. She was flopping all around and couldn't even walk straight. She did just fine after 15min. She could never have hunted yesterday if I hadn't booted her. She would have died if I left her at home.

Lexie said to tell Kade hi. :)

TJ

Awesom story!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you and your dad have many more hunts togeather.

Great post TJ. I hope to be going as strong as your dad when I'm 82. Glad to see Lexie getting out and enjoying the hunt.

Great post TJ. I hope to be going as strong as your dad when I'm 82. Glad to see Lexie getting out and enjoying the hunt.

That's what life iws all about right there TJ.

You will cherish these moments for the rest of your life and good on you for appreciating your best friends while they are still here with us.

What a nice outing. Great pictures too. I think my lab Lacey would spend the morning trying to chew the boots off.

Kade also says hi. We should get them together sometime for a duck hunt or late season dove hunt. I'm stuck in Tucson right now but could come up there way or meet half way one of these days.

Kade also says hi. We should get them together sometime for a duck hunt or late season dove hunt. I'm stuck in Tucson right now but could come up there way or meet half way one of these days.

Definitely Rob! I just purchased some decoys but have yet to hunt ducks like that. I've always jump shot ducks and that's been 25 years ago. I'm wanting to get Lexie started. Maybe you can learn me a few things. I'll keep in touch. :)

TJ