apache12

Scouted my son's cow hunt, lots o bulls few cows?

I just spent three days in my son's unit scouting for his Oct. Jr cow hunt. The bulls were calling almost all day and into the night with the moon full. I scouted some deep canyons and saw some beautiful bulls but only saw about four cows vs. 12 bulls. Only two bulls were running with cows the rest were lone bulls except for a group of three rag horns. I found some areas that has good sign but really expected to see some big groups of cows. The archery hunt was going on but the pressure didn't seem to great. I'm not experienced in elk hunt, but do hunt deer, turkey, pigs, multiple times per year, I just don't know the habits of elk yet. I'm in 3c and plan on one more scout before the hunt. If anyone has and tips on just the general habits of elk (cow) post rut or right at the end of the rut, I'd love the knowledge. For example. what type of numbers will the be in? Will using a cow call to see if cows call back make sense? Will they mostly feed in the open at night and early morning and then travel to higher country to bed? If I have no luck in the early morning should I stalk a bed or try to glass a bed? It's pretty thick in the bedding areas I think it'd be tough to glass into. My area has some big burns and I found some elk traveling right on the burn line in the area that had trees still, but never saw them out in the open in big burns, is that normal, or should I just keep glassing the big open burns? I'm happy to PM anyone and let them know the canyons and areas that I scouted. I'm not looking for "hey here's the perfect spot" I like scouting that's half the fun of the hunt, just knowledge on elk habits. A couple meadows I want to try in the AM are a mile or more off the road and I don't mind hiking out there but with all the downed trees and thick new growth I know it will be tough to be quiet, will the elk spook out of the meadows if I'm coming near the edge early before dawn? Thanks for any pointers.

You may find it pretty hit or miss by that time in the rut. Could be some large heards still being run by herd bulls or you could get into some pretty scattered smaller herds of cows and raghorns because those cows have already been rutted. I think cow calling should work well if used sparingly, because as these cows start to break up into smaller groups and get chased around by young raghorns the cows tend to "talk" quite a bit to try to get hearded up again. The biggest problem I have had with that unit is that at the first couple of gunshots, most of the elk jump the fence to the reservation and may not return until the hunt is over or only at night. That opening morning can be critical. I would try to find areas where the elk are feeding or watering on your next scouting trip and then plan to be between those areas and the reservation fence, in the dark on opening morning. Good luck. Hope you guys have a great time and get his cow.

Lee

We seen elk on the 300 rd next to the reservation line and there were track on just about every stock tank in 3C.

Yea the only problem with fr 300 is that everyone and their mother is going to be driving up and back that road the the fingers that run down to the rez. I'd like to find a spot that you have to hike deep into to get away from the traffic

You may find it pretty hit or miss by that time in the rut. Could be some large heards still being run by herd bulls or you could get into some pretty scattered smaller herds of cows and raghorns because those cows have already been rutted. I think cow calling should work well if used sparingly, because as these cows start to break up into smaller groups and get chased around by young raghorns the cows tend to "talk" quite a bit to try to get hearded up again. The biggest problem I have had with that unit is that at the first couple of gunshots, most of the elk jump the fence to the reservation and may not return until the hunt is over or only at night. That opening morning can be critical. I would try to find areas where the elk are feeding or watering on your next scouting trip and then plan to be between those areas and the reservation fence, in the dark on opening morning. Good luck. Hope you guys have a great time and get his cow.

Lee

That makes good sense. I camped near the rez the days I scouted and the buggling over the fence was intense. I also saw two good balls hauling the mail toward the fence south of twin lakes. I should say great bear tracks near there as well and scat for any bear hunters. I think I know a couple options near the fence that the may run down. Any advice on which cow call? The hoochi mama like most folks? Thanks

Calling works with cows but I think it works better to sit in their travel ways especially for kids. to be set up behind the rifle as they appear gives you the advantage. The hochie mama has a lost call setting and it will call in cows but you have to keep the call working over and over non stop that has worked for me on quite a few calling set ups. PM also sent.

apache12,

As already stated by mje1 hoochie momma will work as well as others. The lost call is what you want though. I also agree with him that setting up on a travel route may be the best bet for a jr. hunter but as we all know sometimes those critters want to pass just out of sight or range. The lost cow call may draw them within range before they make their way over the fence.

kphunter, I believe the hunt we are referring to is a jr cow hunt in 3A/3C? Is that right apache12?

Lee

apache12,

As already stated by mje1 hoochie momma will work as well as others. The lost call is what you want though. I also agree with him that setting up on a travel route may be the best bet for a jr. hunter but as we all know sometimes those critters want to pass just out of sight or range. The lost cow call may draw them within range before they make their way over the fence.

kphunter, I believe the hunt we are referring to is a jr cow hunt in 3A/3C? Is that right apache12?

Lee

yes 3a/3c. I'll pick up a lost cow call and start woriking on it. Thanks for the help!

I would stick with the western side of the unit, there are higher densities of elk there.