Sign in to follow this  

dead rockies

No tags for years...untill they reintroduce a new herd if none survived and they multiply....man that stinks

first time i ever saw a bighorn was off the side of the highway a ways over by alma new mex. big herd. i had a little instamatic camera and started putting the stalk on em. i got closer and closer and started taking photos and thinking i am the sneakiest guy in the world. then i got up so close i could just get one ram's head in the photo. then i walked over and kicked him in the butt and all he did was swing his head at me. so i kicked him again and he finally got up. it really lowered my sky high opinion of how hard sheep must be to hunt. BUT DANGIT I STILL WANNA SHOOT ONE!!!! Lark.

Lark:

I grew up watching desert sheep around Yuma during and after World War II, and it is my humble opinion that the dumbest javelina is smarter than a desert sheep.

I've never kicked one, but I've been close enough to a lot of desert sheep that I could have hit them with rocks if I were a better pitcher. When I was a kid in the 1940s and 1950s, we'd drive up to rams in that nasty desert around Welton, Mohawk, Dateland and Tacna, miles from any type of hill and decades before the farms popped up, and they'd come running to us when they saw our vehicles. I even know guys who filled their tags when rams run off ridges straight down to them to be shot.

A lot of hunters get all wrapped up in the "romance" of sheep hunting and will talk for hours about "magnificent" rams and "wild" scenery and "difficult" terrain, but I've never heard anyone who has hunted all of the world's various Ovis species ever call any sheep "wary" or "smart."

My personal experience with other types of sheep is limited to Dall sheep, Rocky Mountain bighorns and European mouflon seen while hunting other game in Canada, Wyoming and Spain, but I saw nothing that improved my opinion of their intelligence.

Trophy-class Dall rams for example, trotted up to our horses every day while we hunted moose in the Yukon. The Sinks Canyon gun range outside Lander, Wyoming, is used mainly for team members to sight in their rifles during the September One Shot Antelope Hunt, but it is not uncommon for Rocky Mountain rams to wander through its parking lot when it is full of cars, trucks and people, apparently because they are curious about the shooting that is going on.

As for shooting a sheep, Lark, keep applying for a permit. It took me 39 years to draw my tag, so it's possible. As for the difficulty in hunting them, one look at the hunter success rate should tell you all you need to know.

Bill Quimby

i will keep applying. in my opinion too, the hardest part of shooting one is getting a tag. and whe i finally get drawn, i will enjoy it. i don't have a lot of experience with deserts, but a couple years ago we were up the apache trail to go quail hunting and a truly magnificent, i mean maybe a 200 incher, came walking along the road past us at maybe 10 feet. right where the fish creek hill starts down. i guess it was the legandary one that lives in that area. i don't know how he held up his horns. and he didn't even acknowledge that were there. i took a photo with my phone and promptly deleted it. i hate technology. the rockies must be tougher than heck or you would think the lions would wipe them out. i see rockis all the time when i'm deer hunting. saw a big one 2 years that would probably go in the 180's. i walked down to take some photos of it. i could have strung my recurve that i hadn't shot in 30 years on my way to him and killed him with it. wse were driving down the road to wildcat crossing once and 2 rams were laying in the road and wouldn't move. i drove within inches and honked my horn and the smaller one finally got up and moved to the edge of the road. the bigger one just laid there and kept swinging his horns and banging them into my winch mount. i kicked him in the butt a couple times and he finally moved. completely lazy and didn't care. that was prewolf tho. don't know if that made any difference or not. but they are purty and sure do wanna shoot one. Lark.

once you scare them they go over two mountians. where they live is very steep and they are comfortable and confident there. my brother says the the trophy is in the back half???

Hey guys. I was one of the 3 buddies that found the 9 deadheads. I kept this ram head and it was the only one that had a complete skull and it also happened to be the largest of the 9. I have to admit that when we came across these heads I was sure that the game warden would not let us keep them. I am hoping that there is a way to restore the skull and horns a bit. It is definitely a big hurt to the ram population.

Armand Morales

post-5062-0-30760600-1316838294_thumb.jpg

post-5062-0-93308600-1316838310_thumb.jpg