Sign in to follow this  
Will K

2011 Archery Bull 4A

It all started with the call to Game & Fish in the spring. You were successfully drawn for Bull Elk. Wow. Called my hunting partner and friend since first grade to give him the news. He tells me, "you better not be _______ with me".LMAO Well the preperation starts and the long wait begins but the first day of the hunt gets here with alot of rain and only 20 cows and a spike comming in and no bugles to be heard. Day two brings 8 cows one spike and a small 6x6 passing about 100yards away and a 2" hail storm. Day 3 has me up in my tree stand in a bedding area with no elk to be seen. The full moon is killing us so i decide to go back to work for a few day and hunt the last seven days of the hunt. 9-16-11 leave the house at 2:30am (my wife thinks im crazy but she is used to it after 25 years)headed to the hunting spot. 5:30am get out of the truck to get my stuff ready and i hear a bull hammer. WOW i think this could be my day. My plan now is to do some calling and see what happens. For the first two hours nothing and im thinking what the heck... I come into thick draw with the smell of bull elk big time so i let out a bugle. "BOOM" he hammers back and after a 20 minute cat and mouse game with the wind he busts me a 40 yards and is a 340-350 class bull. Dang. Start up the ridge about 1/2mile and i hear a bugle right behind me. I turn around and see a nice 320-330 class bull comming right at me. Drop down get set up and wait. Nothing. Gave me the slip. Dang. 9:30am I hear another bugle in front of me so i start up a little hill with the wind in my face and when i pop up on top i see a cow at 60 yards feeding. I let out another bugle and "boom" he hammers back. I range a couple of trees and look back and he is comming fast. I draw my bow and think ok thats 40yards, ok thats 30 yars, ok thats 20yards and he is bugling in my face and at 15 yards i let it fly straight into his chest cavity. The Slick Trick magnum does the trick. 280 class Bull down. What a awesome but tough hunt. :D

We called in 11 bulls in 2 days and my buddy ended up with a 5x5.

Will K.

post-725-0-71473400-1316526141_thumb.jpg

Nice write up Will. Glad to here you got one . I was up in 5a with a buddy and its tuff huntin this year.

Sounds like you had an exciting morning when you came back the second time. That is a nice looking bull. Looks very similar to mine from a couple years ago. Congrats

Man, you got into them on the return hunt.

Exciting stuff right there B)