Sign in to follow this  
livinthedream

bustin your tail versus easier locations

Do you think that it is worth the extra effort to really bust your tail to get way back into some nasty country(still good country, just remote)? I know more people are willing to do this now.I guess my question is in your opinion will a person see better quality deer more often in extremly remote areas?

Tucson's late, great taxidermist John Doyle used to smile when guys told about backpacking across two mountains and three or four big canyons to hunt.

One of his honey holes was in a steep canyon along the Mount Lemon highway, about a mile after crossing the national forest boundary. I went with him there once, and we parked just off the pavement, climbed nearly straight up for 300 yards or so and sat down with our binoculars. We saw a couple of small bucks on our side of the road from that spot, all within easy stalking range. Another buck was on the other side of the canyon across the road. Unfortunately, although it was a good one, the season was a week away. These deer paid absolutely no attention to the vehicles on the road below them.

John also would park along the Nogales highway and hunt the ocotillo-covered mouths of the canyons above the Santa Cruz River. I shot a good buck there once, following his advice.

John and his friends killed a lot of good Coues deer and as far as I know he and Jim Levy (his best friend and hunting partner) never owned vehicles with four-wheel drive. That should tell you something.

As for the answer to your question, hunt places with deer that others do not. Many are remote; many aren't.

Bill Quimby

I think you'll find that either can work out great. I used to be of the mindset that the further you get from roads the better. After many years of hunting coues, I don't retain that mindset. Sometimes, great bucks can be found in easily accessible ares. Sometimes, great bucks are going to be way back in the hills.

You will get a feel for it. Just hiking way back in won't guarantee more and bigger bucks. I've learned that after spending days backpacking into remote areas without finding deer, then glassing up nice ones from just yards off a decent road. That said, I know of several guys who hike into some crazy, nasty country and find some monsters. Others shoot big bucks with constant road noise from the highway just a few hundred yards away.

If I've learned anything about coues deer over the years, it is this. They will be where THEY want to be, not where I think they should be.

For me backpacking in is about getting away from all the people and 4 wheelers. Good deer can be found in many easy to get to places.

Personally, I love backpack hunts so bustin' my tail to get away from other people is just part of the fun. I like being on hunts where there are no other people, no highway noise, no generator noise, and to tell you the truth, I really enjoyed the lack of airplane noise in the time following 9/11 when flights were very restricted.

"Turn the quiet up, Turn the noise down"

It never hurts to got deeped. But luck playes a huge part.

Last year I. Scouted my tail off. During the hunt I hiked my tail off. On the third day my buddy wanted to stay close to the access road, at sun up a 100in plus buck stood from his bed 80y from us. He caught me in a flusted mess and I never got off a shot. He got a shot but it was a clean miss.

Tucson's late, great taxidermist John Doyle used to smile when guys told about backpacking across two mountains and three or four big canyons to hunt.

One of his honey holes was in a steep canyon along the Mount Lemon highway, about a mile after crossing the national forest boundary. I went with him there once, and we parked just off the pavement, climbed nearly straight up for 300 yards or so and sat down with our binoculars. We saw a couple of small bucks on our side of the road from that spot, all within easy stalking range. Another buck was on the other side of the canyon across the road. Unfortunately, although it was a good one, the season was a week away. These deer paid absolutely no attention to the vehicles on the road below them.

John also would park along the Nogales highway and hunt the ocotillo-covered mouths of the canyons above the Santa Cruz River. I shot a good buck there once, following his advice.

John and his friends killed a lot of good Coues deer and as far as I know he and Jim Levy (his best friend and hunting partner) never owned vehicles with four-wheel drive. That should tell you something.

As for the answer to your question, hunt places with deer that others do not. Many are remote; many aren't.

Bill Quimby

Well said sir!!! my dad always told me, "The big bucks are where you find them"...

I remember one of my dad's hunting buddies jokingly telling me, "there's a reason there aint no roads there, cause it aint worth going there." I do love to get back in a ways to get away from other people, like Amanda said, that's part of the fun.

i've seen bucks far and close ..... couple years ago hunting in 36b...i got up late ...so trying to rush out the door so i wount get beat by all the hunters and get up on the hill first....well shortly 10 mins later i got to an opening and see 2 hunters above me 2 more to my right and 3 more way off to my left.....so already the are has been pushed by 7 hunters....Discouraged i turn back torward camp and see our tent trailer said welp i made it 200 yards. Just then caught some movement down in the bottom.... turned up to be 6 does and 2 bucks (spike and big 2x3). That evening we couldn't find those bucks that i bedded.... went over the hill and into this big valley we were trying to cross before dark. When we didn't know it till i was to late we jumped one of the biggest coues we have ever seen. By time we saw it was runnning left to right at roughly 600 yards.

In unit 27 6-7 years ago every mourning we would hike this tiny hill next to us and jump the same mule deer doe 4 days in a row. wasn't more than 80 yards.

Then other years i have hiked all day without even seeing a deer. I always pack a lunch with me just in case we do decide to do an all day hunt. Deer will be anywhere....

Depends on how much time you can devote to scouting/hunting.

If you haven't started to scout for a pack in type hunt then it could be tough to locate deer.

There are lots of deer close to roads.

I've blown so many stalks on deer that were not far from the road..... Last year I blew stalks twice for my wife tryng to to get a little closer or get a better look!

I should change my handle to BLOWNSTALKER!

One year we were hunting chasing muleys all over sunday came so we start heading home.

We stop off at a very popular place and there was one camper there, we just drove on by to our glassin spot.

Get out the gear and set up to glass. within 5 minutes my brother-inlaw says "I've got one!"

After looking him over quickly he lets me try and put a stalk on him. Nice 4x4 Muley with some trash on him!

Got to about 100 yds and the wind was switching and he caught me moving a bit... acted like he didn't see anything

just kept on feeding. Then he just broke out of there! While I was hiking out my brother-inlaw talked to the camper

and he proceeded to tell my bro inlaw he hasn't seen anything all weekend! He had no clue that deer was 400yds from his fith wheel! The deer are where you find them for sure. Don't put so much pressure on yourself it can make it a miserable time!

Have fun!

James

Dont drive past good deer areas tryin to find good deer areas!

• Like 1

Mr. Quimby said it perfectly........

"As for the answer to your question, hunt places with deer that others do not. Many are remote; many aren't."!

I have killed bucks miles from the truck and some just one ridge over. I try and hunt areas that are little harder to gain access to by the average hunter that does not want to put down some boot leather.

If I find hunters ahead of me I will try and skirt around them and aim for higher ground to get above them. May be one ridge over then I will sit down and watch the hunters below me kick deer out. Sometimes I like to stop and talk to the hunters after a morning hunt and ask them how they did or what they have seen. It is fun when they say all they saw was one doe, in reality they kicked out deer all around them that they never seen or heard.

Slow down look and listen.

I have been fortunate the past three years to have taken whitetails within 1/2 mile of roads. I however do like to get away from the more accessible areas as I "think" that is where the big boys are hanging out. Not always the case, but if I were a trophy whitetail...

My grandfather used to kill and see tons of deer just staying in camp. As he got older and legs werent good enough to hike, it was more about just getting out of the house and camping than hunting so he'd stay at camp. Everybody hiking all over the hills made the deer move and that included right through and around camp. I know of more than one time I have gone out killing myself hiking only to be driving back to camp to see some nice buck or bull right next to the road somoeone else just drove down. They go where they want.