Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

6A JR Success

This is chases first elk tag and I was excited to get him out. My opinion is if you want to get someone hooked on hunting, get em in front of bugling rutting bulls!

We drove up Thursday night and had 10 elk right at our turn off to camp so we felt good about the opener, plus the cold cloudy weather helped. We still hunted and sat a saddle that gets used regularly, so much so that I had 2205 trail cam pics from 9-1 to 9-14 until the memory card was maxed out - almost all were elk, some deer and a bear. We were finding some sign but not tons and after 2 1/2 says we stopped in at the jr camp had some lunch and shifted spots tryin to find buglin bulls.

We only moved maybe 5 miles and found at least 6 bulls bugling in one area. We chased em around for 2 days and had 3 close calls but kept getting busted before we could get a shot. They would answer cow calls and bugles and get pretty worked up but would not come in.

While walking out in the dark with a full moon we busted 2 cows feeding by a tank at 50 yards. I had figured with all the rain just prior to the hunt that water would not be an option but these elk seemed to be centered around this tank. We decided to bust out the blind and sit the tank the first and last 3 hours of the remaining days.

After setting up the blind we sprayed the area along the walk in/out with elk fire cow in heat urine for cover scent and hopefully a lure to the bulls in the area. We came back about 3:30 and about 5:30 had a cow come in but couldn't get a good shot at her. Not long after she finished drinking her calf came out of the trees and we were both glad he hadn't shot the cow. Then the bugles came closer and closer from all directions and right at dark bulls started comin out of the trees and were buglin like crazy. I was hopin chase would get to experience the rut to get him excited and hooked forever. We ended up staying in the blind an 1 1/2 after dark watching these bulls party. The moon was so bright we could see them well and even better with binos in the dark.

We came back in the morning a little after first light and spooked a cow from the tank and didn't see anything during the morn but the bulls bugles strong till about 9.

We shifted the blind over to where the shooting lanes opened up better and brushed it in nice about 100 yards from the near edge if the tank. We got back in about 3:00 and sprayed the area up with elk fire again. Chase just chilled on the ground out of sight inside the blind and played phone games while I read and kept watch. With about 40 mins of light chase sat up in his chair knowing they'd be coming soon if they were comin in at all. 10 minutes later a young cow came charging into the tank and drinks. Chase puts up his new savage youth 7mm-08 using the blind opening as his rest and gets ready. She feeds up but won't quiet give us broadside. He has her in the scope waiting when I see another bigger more mature cow coming in fast. I tell chase to wait a bigger one is coming in. This cow comes in with her nose in the air and pushes the smaller one out of the way and stops broadside. I tell chase to breath, aim 3" below 1/2 way up her shoulder crease and just squeeze the trigger until the shot and I plug his ears with my fingers. He settles for about 5 seconds and pulls the trigger, nailing her perfect in the lungs. She hunches and stumbles and falls over dead on the tank after about 15 seconds! He was pumped and tried to play off his shaking on just being cold.

I was a little worried about the 7mm-08 with 139 gr hornandy SST being a little light but it did great and the damage to her lungs and part of her heart was devastating.

It was fun and frustrating at times but in the end the plan came together and chase did his part like a pro! Now its time to shift focus over to his 42jr hunt!

(if somebody can post a pic, I can email thx)

Ryan, that was a good writup and a great picture of Chase. Please give him my congartulations to him and good luck on the his jr hunt. :)

TJ

Wow, congrats on a big ole cow! Love the big smile on his face, doesn't get much better. I agree with you on there just isn't anything else that compares to bugling bulls.

Thanks for posting the pic. We were all proud of him and I think he was in shock a little that we had actually pulled it off! I quartered her out and she weighed in at 180 lbs with 4 quarters and one game bag of neck, rib, tenderloins, and back straps.

Good job Chase! Way to make a perfect shot, that's awesome!!!

We met a couple guys with 2 boys having a hard time finding elk on our way out as I was picking up a trail cam. One of the boys had givin up but the other was a hard charger. I told em about the tank Chase took his cow and how we set up. They didn't have a blind, and I offered em mine, but he declined. I told there was enough room to tuck into the trees out of sight and they should be good. Chase's cow fell over on the tank and I told him I wasn't sure if they'd still come in with the gut pile there but they may come in enough for a shot before spooking. Just got a text from him that his boy nailed a nice cow off that same tank that very night and his kid is hooked! Glad it worked out for them.