outlaw357derf

Binocular Reviews

I own a pair of the Nikon 15x60 action extreme binoculars. I am shopping around for a better quality optic in 15x56 power. Any helpful suggestions would be welcome.

The binos in that size I would consider are the Minox, Vortex Kaibabs, used Zeiss 15x60s, and Swarovski SLCs. It depends on how much you want to spend. I haven't spent much time with the Minox. The SLCs are the standard, some guys prefer the Zeiss. I think Swaros are a tine bit more clear and the Zeiss have better contrast for my eyes. The Kaibabs aren't too far behind for less money. The Minox are even less, but there are lots of guys who like them.

The Nikon Monarch 12X56's are excellent, and you can get a pair online for about $350.

If you dont have a wad of cash laying around you might want to check out the Minox! I have a pair and love them. Spent many hours this weekend looking in canyons and hillsides! Get a good tripod it helps alot!!!

I've had Minox but now I'm hauling around a old pair of 15x60 Ziess. I love them but my only complaint is that they find stuff really far away, lol. I would buy the Kiababs. for their price, they are some of the best glass out there IMO. I'll be picking up a pair for next year for sure.

I have a pair of 15x58 Minox and they preform very well in the field with the exception of the size. My friend purchased some Vortex Vipers 15x50's from cameralandusa.com they are half the size and weight. Glass is just as clear as my Minox. I think he paid around $440. I paid $850 for my Minox when they first hit the market but I think the price has came down on them. My Dad has a pair or 10 EL Sworo's that are very nice but he paid around $1600 for his. It just has alot to do with how much you are willing to spend. Alot of good bino's on the market that work just as well as the high price glass. Hunterdude is right also get a good tripod to go with your new bino's. I have a Manfroto tripod and it has some weight to it. Vortex is making some nice tripod's on the market that are sturdy and half the weight.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey there. I am new to the sight,but here is my.o2. Keep the ones you have and save for a couple years and buy a pair of swaros or the leicas duovids which let you do both 10 or 15 power.I was fortunate enough to scrounge and buy the 15 swaros, and now I despise looking through anything else. Vortex are good optics also.I have had my 10 42s a few years but sent them back to get focusing fixed(free lifetime warranty). The only difference that I find between my 10-42 swaros and the Vortex is the amount of focusing I do. It was put to me this way....15-56 swaros=2000 bucks(when i bought them).20 years of hunting=100 dollars a year on the best glass out there(imho). Make sure you look thru them! My wife cant look thru mine(eyes too close). Happy Hunting!

Thank you to all who replied to my post. I have decided to go with the Kiabab HD 15x56 binoculars. I also just purchased a

Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head from amazon.com for 39.00.

It is equivelant to the Vortex Ridgeline, just cheaper. I am now ready for my Unti 27 rifle Bull elk hunt, agian thank you all for the advice and good hunting.

Not 15X but I recently purchased a pair of 10X42 Minox from Cameraland. Pretty decent for the money, much better than my 15 year old Nikons and a fraction of the weight. These will be used as my "walking" optics as I have a pair of 15X SLCs that are in my opinion the cats butt. Coupled with a quality tripod and hydro head, it is an indispensable tool that I can count on.

The adage "buy once, cry once" comes to mind when buying optics. Good luck with your decision.

I'm in the saving mode now.

had I originally done that I'd have some nice optics by now!

think of it this way..... When you pay that much you only cry once!

james

I have 2 pair of Binoculars that I use for glassing, the first is a pair of Docter 15x60's the second are a pair of Swarovski SLC 15x56. They are both nice glass but to me the Docters are a bit better in MOST conditions. The Swaros are awesome in low light conditions where as the Docters not so much.

I think all Reputable binocs are great, but what I cannot do without is a fluid head for the tripod. When i use my friends non fluid head I'm like WTF give me my Bino/tripod back!!! I don't see how anyone uses a non fluid head that includes some real expensive ones from sportsman's, ect. A $80, $90 dollar fluid head will make all the Bino's mentioned a dream to use.

is a fluid head and a waterhead the same thing? i have docter 15x60's. really nice. 'specially when they was give to me. my kids have swarovskis, zeiss and vortex kaibabs. any of the 4 are real good. i like the 60mm lenses and the poro prisms better, like the zeiss and docters have. had my docters tuned up recently and the guy that did it said them and the big zeiss are the same glass and internals. made at the same factory. Lark.