Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

Cow down, Young mans first!

Recieved a call last night and my cousin said that he was stuck down in the valley working today, and that his 12 year old had a cow elk tag and asked if i would take him out for the day, so he didnt have to miss opening day. So i said sure no prob, so i get up @4:00 this morning and make the hour drive ( 30 min each way) to pick up my cousins son so we can go get him an elk. we then drive out to a spot that i know that traditionally has elk, ( keep in mind i didnt get to scout much as i knew the night before that i was going) anyway i'm on a big cedar covered ridge 20 mintues before it even startes to crack daylight, with a BIG yellow grassy flat below me with a few cedars scatered in it, about a mile wide and a mile long, cedar hills all around it.... well when it finaly startes to turn grey i glass up 6 elk on the FAR side of the flat..... now how to get to them... about the only way is hunkered down as far as you can and still walk, and try and keep the few scattered cedars between us. so off we went... i make it about half way and glass them again , yes they are still there, looks like one good bull and 5 cows ( or so i thought ) so we keep on a trucking as it gets plently light by now we close to about 500 when i kneel up by a cedar tree to look them over and DANG they are ALL BULLS!!! not a cow around anywere..... the big bull, then a 5x5 and then 4 small, 2 bys, spikes ect.... ALL BULLS.... i could'nt believe it after all that work getting over there ( and now having to go all the way back to the truck) and no cows.... so anyway to make a long story a little shorter.... see 3 more bulls an hour latter, and then about 10:00 had 5 cows RUN across the road in front of us..... and that was it unit this evening. i knew of another little bowl that always has elk, that people drive right by.... so about 4:30 this afternoon i told the kids ( my cousins boy with the tag, and 2 of my boys) lets go kill an elk, so off we went, parked the trucked walked about 600 yards to the top of another big ridge, and tell them ok quite now, just over the other side we'll find some shade and wait up here were we have a vantage point and wait unitl they come out or it gets dark.... so i poke my head over and start glassing, and there is already 4-5 cows feeding 220 yards below us. So i get him all set up with a blown down log as a rest and tell him ok the one standing broad side make sure your ready.... well after a few shots we had her down. his first elk, his dad took him out for a week last year never to get a shot, and i took him the first day and we got it done, he was one excited boy!, about 20 minutes before dark.... so yea you can guess what a fun evening i have had getting the elk out in the dark with 3 kids.... but got it done, no field pictures, as it was dark fast and no camera, but got one here at the house . do ya think this counts as good KARMA for me and my sons deer hunt next week ? the hunter on the left and my two boys on the right, this is about 10:00 when we got back to the house.

good luck to the rest of the kids

tommy

post-2728-0-14270200-1318705400_thumb.jpg

post-2728-0-97857100-1318705414_thumb.jpg

Congrats to the hunter! I'm sure he was super excited! Looks like a big cow.