Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Let's Hear It For The 35's!

Great deer and video Jim!! I haven't hunted the 35s...but looks like I should! :)

I think the country in the 35's is the most beautiful in the state! The hunts can be very hard but anyone that puts in the effort and stays positive has a chance at killing a nice buck!

Ya know, I keep saying how I "love" these leftover tags, but the reality is that once the hunt starts every year I start pulling my hair out and cussing the tag, the heat, all the other hunters and the lack of deer! But, the beauty of it is that all of a sudden when that bachelor herd of nice bucks materialize within rifle range, you think it's the best hunt in the world! LOL! I can't wait to start pulling my hair out! JIM>

The 35s are Ok but there's a reason these units have left over tags. There's plenty of units that are way better like 22, 23, 32, 31, 29 and the 36s. I've been hunting the 35s for 6 years now and have yet to see a buck over 80 inches. I know they are out there but they are just too few and far between. The pic I posted is good example of the kind of bucks you'll find in the 35s on top of that there are a ton of drug smugglers in the 35s. I don't know why anyone would put in for the 35s unless it was a leftover. The only reason I do is because I live here.

post-5199-0-78059700-1319083262_thumb.jpg

Here is a couple of 36A leftover tags bucks....good luck!

That buck on the right is a great buck! Love the width.

Jim- every year I pick up a leftover tag, I spit on my tag after the first few days, pull my hair out, talk about hunting units like 22 and 23 where it can be so much cooler and then every year I go right back to the same unit!

I LIKE leftover tags, I LOVE drawing my first or second choice :D

2 years in a row I have killed decent bucks on left over tags.... Both of those years I have had 100"+ bucks in my scope, just couldnt close the deal.... Funny, Ive never had 100" buck in my scope on tags ive drawn! Hopefully I'll change that come December 9th!

Just because there are left over tags does not in my opinion mean that the deer quality is any different than any other unit. Those are some of my favorite units to hunt for trophy monster bucks!!!! I personally get "frustrated" seeing guys pick up the tags and shoot a hand full of bucks that would be two or three years down the road the generation of good bucks possibly turning into the class of monster bucks most of us on this site are looking for. They however do not get the chance!!! Those deer in other units would not even be considered simply do to the unit or the fact that there are not leftover tags there. There are so many other reasons besides the deer why left over tags occur. Most of us know those reasons.

None the less I am a trophy hunter though......and hold no grief with anyone hunting. Hunting is hunting and success makes it all that much better. I love seeing the smiles on successful hunters no matter what. Just remember when that two or three year old buck gets shot because the old 5+ year old was not found the cycle will continue down the same road. Most likely that age class of deer we look for wont ever show. My end point simply being, if you want to shoot older age class bigger bucks show some discretion in what you are harvesting and you might find, though a few years down the road, that those other wise "LITTLE" deer will turn into the ones you are looking for!

I have hunted 35a every years since 1977. I can remember years ago when I would get two tags on a first come first serve basis.

Jan05CouesBuck001.jpg

Backyard Buck.

I am trying the leftover world for the first time in a couple weeks west of the 35s. Not expecting much since I will be looking for a mature deer, but it should be fun. I have a few buddy's that put in for the 35's December each year and then get leftovers for 35A if they don't draw. Out of the 3, 1 always kills a triple digit buck and all fill their tags with good bucks. They usually have stories and video of some incredible bucks! They make me jelous!

In 2006, my wifes(ex) uncle and cousin got drawn for 35b. They asked if I would like to join them, and I agreed. These guys are good people, just not real experienced. I went down early and established a camp in Harshaw canyon, and they came down the afternoon before the opener.

Opening morning found us driving around loking for a place to start. I told them to pull over as the area looked good. We started hiking up the grassy hills and soon spooked a couple of does. Its hard to be quiet when you have 9 people trailing behind you. 2 hunters and 7 non-hunters which included some youngsters.

After awhile I had everyone sit down so we could do some glassing. I spotted a small herd which had two young bucks in the group. I knew this was going to be tough as my uncle in-law was shooting an open sight 30-30, and he has bad eyesight to boot. O.K how do I get this guy within 75 yards of a buck? SO I formulated a plan. The deer had moved into thick brush on a steep hillside. I positioned the group at the base inside the tree line, and told them that I was going to circle around the backside of the steep hill and come over the top, and push those deer right to them. Sounded good, but they looked at me like I was crazy! They thought me hiking around the backside and over the top was too much work. It really wasn't, but what the heck. So I got around the backside and told them on radio to be ready. I came over the top and worked my down into the thick stuff. All heck broke loose as those deer exploded out of their beds, and headed down the hill right towards the waiting hunters. Those deer crashed right throught the brush 75 yards in front of them and they could not pick out a deer to shoot, even though I did my part. Oh well. Thats hunting.

The second day was uneventful, and they went back to camp. I told them that I was going up the road to glass one of the big canyons on the west side of the unit.I went up and settled in with the tripod and bino's, and late afternoon glassed up 2 feeding bucks at the head of a steep canyon. The bigger of the two would score in the 80's. Good enough bucks for these guy's. So I radioed back to camp and told Tony to come up and have a look. When he got there he got excited about seeing the bucks. I told him it was to late in the day to go after them, but I told him we could get one of these bucks in the morning, if just the two of us could go after them. Trying to bring a whole troop of people into that canyon would blow those deer right out.

So the next morning we went in at first light. The bucks were up and feeding, and the only way to get a shot would be to drop down into the steep canyon and come around from the downhill side. After a hour of hiking, I finally got him in position. However, the bigger buck did not offer a shot, as he was feeding behind some thick brush. If the sun came up over the steep ridge, Tony would not be able to get a shot as the sun would be directly in our eyes. I told him he could shoot the smaller buck, as it was 330 yards. He settled in for the shot and "Boom", the deer was hit and started rolling down the steep hill, It was a good hit. We climbed the steep hill to his deer, and he was a happy man. We took pictures and got to work on getting that deer out.

Here is a scanned pic of Tony and his deer. I am the guy on the left.

Got a leftover in 35A this year, so hopefully will have some good news and photos to share in a few weeks. Looking at your photos I sure hope so.

Got a leftover in 35A this year, so hopefully will have some good news and photos to share in a few weeks. Looking at your photos I sure hope so.

Hope so! i think i might put in for the unit next year.

I will be a leftover lover this year in 35A. Already glassed up one buck- got me kinda excited.

I have been unsuccessful drawing a strip hunt for 10 years now.......and its been AWESOME! 4 years in a row I have filled my tag with very quality deer....3 90" plus counting my buddies deer. I love left over tags. It gives you a chance to get out and do some homework before you pick your tag. Take a few weekends and spend time in 3 or 4 units. Then get the left over tag for the best area you feel will produce based on your efforts.....cannot beat it!!