Sign in to follow this  
NoDinks

Bear hunting with dogs..

Do you support hunting bear with dogs  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support hunting bear with dogs?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you still a sportsman/hunter if you shoot a bear treed by dogs (legally)?

• Yes
    • No

.270 I am not anti bear hunting by any means! In the last three years I have shot three bears! I also treed the bear that was in the post by dan about chocolate bear!(it would be dead by me if it wasn't outta season) If that's not a boar I don't know what is! I will also be bear hunting this weekend! I have been involve in six bear kills in the last 5 years. I am the farthest thing from anti hunting! I have spent 32 weekends in the last year hunting! I know bear as well as anyone who has only been at it nine years!

Of u think it's hard doing it with it dogs! Do it without! If it's easier then why would anyone need ur service, when they can take the easy route for the same price! No camp ground bears and no creek bears! I could tell u exactly who was doing the hunts

Lark- this tree and call was bak before they changed the law requiring hunters to be present at the release of the hounds in 1995! U should know that as a avid guide with dogs! And I'm not gonna convince any one that they should stop using dogs, just like they won't convince them to allow ur bears in the record books! And FYI that is 6 bear kills not counting my three all to first time hunters! And ifwe were to have gone after every bear we had a real chance to shoot, i woulda been on atleast 30 in the last five years n I don't even guide for bear! Just like im sure u all dont shoot every bear u tree! Best of luck to u in whatever way u chose to hunt them I am just saying I choice to do it without the dogs! (ps- what serious hunter doesn't have a 100,000 invested in it)

Hey, Nodinks since you wanted to know what people think I added a poll where people can vote and you can find out. People can vote anonymously and so it should get you a bunch of votes from people who don't feel like writing out their opinion in this thread.

I will never understand why some people think it's so easy hunting bear or lions with dogs. I can tell you that the only people I have ever heard call it easy are people who haven't done it. Put in some miles behind dogs hunting legally and see if that doesn't change your mind. Making the argument that we should ban hunting with dogs because you know some people who do it illegally is like asking to ban hunting because there are poachers in this world....

• Like 1

for the record, i have never taken one dime for guiding a bear hunter. i hunt with guys that like to hunt, period. as far back as i can remember, a hunter had to be on the hunt from start to finish for it to be a legal hunt. way before 1995. i don't buy anything you're saying. somebody with hounds musta pissed ya off by being in the woods, that he has every right to, when you were, and you didn't like it and now you're drumming up support to outlaw dogs. that or this one incident in 1995 must really keep ya up at night. i don't even remember where i was in 1995. and if it was legal in 1995, then what the h e l l is the problem? legal=ok, in my book. just like it's legal to hunt bears with hounds. and to hunt birds with dogs, and lions and coons and bobcats and whatever all else is legal. you're wanting to make it illegal for a certain group of hunters to do what they like to do. that is being an antihunter, i don't care how you skin it. and as far as i'm concerned a guy who calls himself a hunter and at the same time wants to limit other guys that hunt in order to remove some competition is worse than a treehugger. you never get anything back. you can't negotiate with terrorists. and the crap you tried to unload about all the sows getting killed the first weekend? u27 has as many bears as any place and i don't think that season has ended before the late elk hunt for a lotta years. there is always someplace to hunt. you just have to be willing to go there. like the guys with hounds. Lark.

Oh I'm not asking to ban it! And I know nobody who does it illegally, bc the law was different back then! But maybe I should just follow someone who hires dogs! Maybe it will change my mind! Does anyone think dogs make bear hunting harder?

N the poll should be more a question " is bear hunting with dogs more respectable than without?" the only people who are going to say no to ur poll are antis or people who are extremely against it bc any hunter would support dogs over not hunting!

Oh I'm not asking to ban it! And I know nobody who does it illegally, bc the law was different back then! But maybe I should just follow someone who hires dogs! Maybe it will change my mind! Does anyone think dogs make bear hunting harder?

Don't you think rifles make it easier to kill bears? Why do you support rifle hunting for bears? to me it's a lot easier to climb a hill glass up a bear, set up for a shot and kill him than it is to follow hound dogs through miles of rough country. Don't you think glassing makes it easier to find bears? You might want to think about why you draw the line where you do. There are all kinds of people who thinking using big optics and hunting with rifles is unsportsmanlike (is that a word??).

• Like 1

N the poll should be more a question " is bear hunting with dogs more respectable than without?" the only people who are going to say no to ur poll are antis or people who are extremely against it bc any hunter would support dogs over not hunting!

Ok, I added another question to the poll. I didn't use this wording, but instead took the wording from your first post where you started the discussion. Hopefully you are ok with that. If you already voted before I added the 2nd question...you might not be able to add a vote for the 2nd question. But you should see a button under the poll that says delete my vote. If you click on that, then you can vote on both questions, otherwise it won't let you vote on the 2nd question.

Lark- never once have I said ban anything! N I haven't heard one person say that hunting without dogs is easier than with! And im not claiming dog hunts are a cake walk all the time. (1995 was when the amended the guiding law) Glasses do make it easier! So do high powered rifles! So u must think neither are used during dog hunts... Rifles are really good when ur target doesn't move. But neither rifles nor optics hold an animal in a location so u can catch up to it like dogs do! Put ur dogs on a bear 2 miles away, n glass up a bear two miles away! Tell me which one u shoot! Bc by the time u hike to the bear (or ride ur horse) likely the bear is gone not like with dogs! Get on a flat or in a canyon and tell me how well those optics work for finding bears. Then compare it to dogs! I personally thing dogs is less sportsman likethan without! That's just my opinion! Give me some examples of why it is more sportsman like.

Wow .....a non sportive hunter....People like you are the very reason PETA and H$U$ get a foot hold and chip away at our hunting as stated before they are not selective at what hunting they want ALL HUNTING and for that matter ALL PET OWNERSHIP abolished and your elitist attitude is the very red carpet they love to work on as you are a wedge from with in ......:angry:

Kninebirddog- is that all u got! PETA! Maybe it's fools like u that give them leverage. Especially when u post ur pics and videos of a bear stuck in a tree with a dozen dogs around it while I walk ur dog chasin butt up there to shoot it bc u couldn't get it done on ur own! I didn't have a problem with dog hunters, I still don't, I just don't respect the idiots who are so narrow minded they become extremist by saying bc someone doesn't respect their hunting style they must be PETA. Once again, tell me why dog run hunting is more sportsmanlike than fair chase? And tell me why their are no dog run hunting shows besides for fowl?

• Like 1

NoDink....Yesterday I was being facetious asking you to post pictures of your trophies..... but today I am not. Please post some pictures of the animals you have taken and if you have time the story behind them.

I want to see and know how animals are taken by a respectful hunter (but a hunter who does not respect another hunter that has taken a bear with dogs), skillful, true hunter, sportsman, non narrow minded hunter, one who can explain to his kids how he has taken animals, hardworking and mentally tough hunter.

Wow .....a non sportive hunter....People like you are the very reason PETA and H$U$ get a foot hold and chip away at our hunting as stated before they are not selective at what hunting they want ALL HUNTING and for that matter ALL PET OWNERSHIP abolished and your elitist attitude is the very red carpet they love to work on as you are a wedge from with in ......

WELL SAID!

• Like 1

I voted and This is all you will get out of me with this stupid poll.

• Like 1

where do you get this idea that bears just climb a tree and wait for you to kill em? you're an idiot. most bears i've seen were killed on the ground, beatin' the piss outta my hounds. you are a literal idiot. you're also a liar. you keep insisting that there is no sport in it, when you've never been around it. i've been around it my entire life and i do know what it takes and nothing you have said is true but you keep spouting off about it. you're a d a m n liar. you don't have a clue what a bear hunt entails. you're smearing around crap you've heard from someone else that also doesn't know what they're talking about. again, i don't think you have the nuts to hang with a good dogman and his hounds. it's the roughest stuff i've ever done and you'd be cryin' for your mama in a half day. it's a lot harder than any other method of taking a bear. it has it's advantages because you have a better chance at success, but it is rough work and i'm sick of you saying it isn't as sporting when you don't have a clue what it entails and all you can come back with is some guy in 1995 that pissed you off. sometimes you catch a bear easy. sometimes you catch em accidently. most of the time you work your butt off. i'm also sick of listening to you try to trivialize guys with hounds and the guys they take hunting. when you don't have any idea what it entails. you've never ran hounds. you don't have any idea what it takes. you have no idea what kinda dedication and hard work it takes to train hounds. but you act like you're the ordained authority on anything to do with hounds. why don't you just shut the h e l l up and just let people think you're stupid instead of openin' up your mouth and removing all doubt. stinkin' anti hunter. Lark.