Sign in to follow this  
NoDinks

Bear hunting with dogs..

Do you support hunting bear with dogs  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support hunting bear with dogs?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you still a sportsman/hunter if you shoot a bear treed by dogs (legally)?

• Yes
    • No

It's the same handful of folks saying the same thing. Like I said, I respect the effort one puts into training dogs! And if hunting with them is so hard why shouldn't u be allowed to put them in the record books? Why aren't u fighting for that right? "paws and jaws" post said they treed seven bears in five days! Post like that make it appear more doable than without dogs!

Everyone has the right to support or dislike any type of hunting they want. And just because u like one doesn't mean u have to like them all. And just because u like theirs doesn't mean they have to like urs!

.270- it an idiot! Opinions aren't lies! And because they don't agree with your doesn't make them any less true. Just because u own some hunting dogs doesn't mean the general census is that its good or bad! There are alot of things harder than hunting bears, like 26 months in Iraq! Chasing dogs is not the toughest thing ever!

• Like 1

NoDinks,

What you have failed miserably to realize is that it is YOU that is close

minded and not receptive to other peoples opinions.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being the better person and

admitting you have come across as arrogant and pompous. I'm sure

you didn't mean to. As a matter of fact, you will gain more respect

in doing so. Its ovious that you won't heed this advice but continue

to somehow dig yourself into the perverbial hole even further.

It's the same handful of folks saying the same thing. Like I said, I respect the effort one puts into training dogs! And if hunting with them is so hard why shouldn't u be allowed to put them in the record books? Why aren't u fighting for that right? "paws and jaws" post said they treed seven bears in five days! Post like that make it appear more doable than without dogs!

Everyone has the right to support or dislike any type of hunting they want. And just because u like one doesn't mean u have to like them all. And just because u like theirs doesn't mean they have to like urs!

.270- it an idiot! Opinions aren't lies! And because they don't agree with your doesn't make them any less true. Just because u own some hunting dogs doesn't mean the general census is that its good or bad! There are alot of things harder than hunting bears, like 26 months in Iraq! Chasing dogs is not the toughest thing ever!

NODINKS

just because they treed 7 bears in five days is not saying that it was easy. When you are in bear country you can glass that many bears and more. on several occasions I have glassed that many bears in a weekend. On top of that with glassing you are able to determine if you want to pursue a specific bear or not... when you are runin dogs you dont know what the bear is going to look like till you have them in a tree and as was stated earlier you have no idea how long it will take or how far you will have to chase to get that bear in a tree. In those 5 days of treeing bears I bet they worked every bit as hard chasing those bears as any other method if not harder...on top of that houndsmen have a whole lot more at risk when they let those dogs take off after a bear or cat.

what the h e l l do you mean you can't enter anything taken with dogs? the world record black bear was killed by a dentist from pinetop on the fort apache res and he used hounds and is a legendary houndman? you don't have any idea what you're splattering around. the world record lion was taken with hounds also. both certified by the b&c. there are thousands of record book bears, lions and jags that were taken with hounds. hounds are considered fair chase by b&c, sci, pope and young, the longhunter's society and the Az wildlife federation. where do you come up with this stuff? like i said, shut up. we already know you are an idiot. sheesh, what a maroon. Lark.

All that is true CouseKiller.300. I agree the owners have more at risk! If u think its hard not knowing how far you will hike, How hard is it hiking hard and not knowing if you will ever see something? Sure Glassing you can see more, but I would like to know the success rate comparison between dog hunts and spot and stalk hunts in comparison to how many people do it? Most big bears I glass are nowhere near a beaten path! And there's never a guarantee that they will be there by the time u get within range! There is no factor to hold a bear stationary while u catch up! To each their own! My personal opinion is that dog hunts are more successful and easier for bears than spot and stalk! If u think different let's agree to disagree!

• Like 1

It's the same people because we all fill the way lark does about it. How a bird hunter that uses dogs to better his chance at taking birds and retrieving those birds can say hunting bear and lion with dogs is any different is a imbasole. Amanda I am not calling names here just stating that fact. Only an imbasole can think they are two separate sports. If you are a true dog hunter how can you think of it as not the same.

Probably an Obama sticker on the back of this Subaru.

I hunt dogs and I guarantee you the success rate is way lower with dogs vs. spot and stalk. I have killed 3 bears all boars 2 were toads all with my bow. 2 were spot and stalk/calling one was from a treesatand all in Arizona. I have never harvested a bear with my own dogs. I have let about 1/3 of the bears treed walk because they were too small. That is one advatage to dog hunting. I have helped a couple youth hunters take bears with dogs and it would have been impossible for them to spot and stalk. They are hooked for life. Get some dogs spend 12k a year on dogs and equipment and then come back and tell us how much easier and less sporting it is. Start bashing hound hunting for bear with dogs, lion hunting with hounds follows suit and them bird hunting. All the anti's want to do is whittle away at us one small vistory at a time . They rely on mis- informed tools like you to help their cause.

In playing devils advocate- so I'm a hunter who wants to shoot a bear! Why would i hire a guide who says, "pick me, my hunts are more grueling, more hazardous, less likely to be successful, and also will run ya about $1000 more bucks than a spot and stalk hunt!" ? When u find those guys tell them I got a chupacabra hunt for sale! I guess I don't get what the selling point is?

You might want to call the offices for the recordbooks and clarify their position on this...you are sadly misinformed on bears not being allowed to be entered if they are taken with the aid of dogs. The only problem with fair chase on a hunt with dogs is if someone has dogs with collars and uses the receiver to locate the dogs during the hunt or if they are using radios to communicate during the chase.

don't confuse this guy with facts, Amanda. he is the authority on it all. if ya don't believe me, ax him. Lark.

• Like 2

im not one to post up my opinion on stuff like this but you say you dont like the fact that paws and jaws treed 7 bears in 5 days, so bc they are successful you dont like them? also with numbers being a problem whats with all the bragging? "ive been on 6 bear kills in 9 years. i have found 30 bears in that time period so i could have killed more." if you glass big bears way off the beaten path where do you think they houndsmen have to go to get that big bear? the same place. there is no gaurantee the bear will be in the same tree when you get there "2 miles later!" i am in good shape and i takes me 12 min to run 2 miles on flat ground in the city. try and get there within 30 min in your so called much rougher country that hound bear hunters dont hunt in also. the bear will move just like when you glass a bear up. dont you think if you glass a bear bedding or munching on a prickly pear patch he will be more likely to stay in that patch you glassed him in and keep eating without knowing your there? not trying to get away from the danger chasing him? the bear will do exactly as lark says. and im sure many houndsmen will verify that. get tired of it and shred your dogs. i highly respect lark, and alot more people know him and respect him than some new guy that shows up and tells us all we arent sportsmen for chasing bears with dogs. maybe i dont have a problem with it because i want to do it someday. to get that adrenaline rush of a big huge bear you worked so hard to catch up to. isnt that why we hunt? to chase game and get our buck fever?

Well said. This guy is a joker. I have ran dogs after lions and still to this date, have not seen one treed. Trust me I have put on some serious miles behind hounds. To his dismay, I will let nodinks know that, I did however glass a lion up 2 years ago and then stalked and shot him. So I guess I would have to say that I am 0-4 using dogs, and 1-2 glassing and stalking in. Ur argument carries little weight, and lacks knowledge. You should stick to hiking with your stick and consuming your granola. Or better yet, for now on only hunt barefoot, naked, and with a stick to even the playing field while bear hunting. I would not want you making it EASIER for yourself to kill a bear.

Well said. This guy is a joker. I have ran dogs after lions and still to this date, have not seen one treed. Trust me I have put on some serious miles behind hounds. To his dismay, I will let nodinks know that, I did however glass a lion up 2 years ago and then stalked and shot him. So I guess I would have to say that I am 0-4 using dogs, and 1-2 glassing and stalking in. Ur argument carries little weight, and lacks knowledge. You should stick to hiking with your stick and consuming your granola. Or better yet, for now on only hunt barefoot, naked, and with a stick to even the playing field while bear hunting. I would not want you making it EASIER for yourself to kill a bear.

Oh come on I think he should become at one with them and use Treadwell as a mentor...... Literally ;)