Guest nosajpo

2011 Wyoming Antelope Trip

Guest nosajpo

Decided to go to Wyoming this year for antelope and possibly deer if I had time as there were leftovers in the unit I went to. I had a buck antelope tag and two doe antelope tags. My Brother in law went with me too help out and we had a great time. This was my first trip to Wyoming so I was not really looking for anything huge. Just wanted to get a lay of the land and find some good areas to hunt in the future. We left the house in Gilbert at 4 in the morning and we were off.

post-3514-0-60947300-1319053929_thumb.jpg

We drove all the way to Laramie and decided to spend the night there. Little did we know it was homecoming weekend for the University of Wyoming and almost every hotel was booked. We finally found one which was extremely overpriced but o well. We woke up Saturday morning and drove to my unit which was about an hour and a half north of there. Didnt take long and we had some spotted and were walking into the the hunter management area.

post-3514-0-95217700-1319053938_thumb.jpg

I spotted several herds with some decent bucks and we were off. I tried to sneak around a big knob and come around to get a shot at a nice buck i had seen. The wind was way too strong to try anything of any distance so I knew it was time to crawl. I peek over the hill and see them at about 200 yds. Perfect! I get all set up and peek ove again for the shot. Nothing! No antelope in sight and it had only been about 30 seconds. Thinking I did something to screw it up I slowly stand up to look around and a few coyotes decided they wanted first dibs at the lopes. At least I knew it wasnt my fault. I walk to a different area and see more antelope everywhere but they are too skiddish to let me within 1000 yds. The rest of the morning was spent closing the distance which I eventually did on a decent buck. Here was the shot as I waited him out.

post-3514-0-06761000-1319053948_thumb.jpg

Buck down after only a 100 yd shot He dropped in his tracks from the 7mm. See if you can find him where he lay below...

post-3514-0-23609700-1319053955_thumb.jpg

My first antelope ever!

post-3514-0-56447600-1319053965_thumb.jpg

post-3514-0-41927400-1319053971_thumb.jpg

The next morning I decided to go look for deer up on a high mountain nearby and see if it was worth getting a leftover tag. A storm blew in and made it a bit too foggy to try to really se much. Got some good pics from it so it was worth it.

post-3514-0-95939300-1319053984_thumb.jpg

post-3514-0-02095300-1319053991_thumb.jpg

post-3514-0-84287500-1319053996_thumb.jpg

After that I decided to go after the two doe tags I had in my pocket. It wasnt long before I found one to shoot. I hit her good and she was down. I used my 30-06 on her at 120 yds and it did extreme amounts of damage on her so there were no pics taken. 165 gn federal ballistic tip was too much for her. I did get some good meat on her though. Just nothing on the front end.

The next doe was accompanied by a huge buck that I wish I had a buck tag for in that unit. I only had doe tags for this unit so he will have to wait til next year. the doe was 263 yds from me and i dropped her in her tracks as well. 7mm 162 gn hornady sst was a good match for her. there was nothing left of her heart when I opened her up.

post-3514-0-07329800-1319054008_thumb.jpg

Overall this was a very fun trip that I would recommend to anyone. We made the drive back in one day with two people driving and it wasnt so bad. I will be back year after year with the family for many more memorable experiences. Special thanks to my Bro In Law Kevin. I owe you...

Decided to go to Wyoming this year for antelope and possibly deer if I had time as there were leftovers in the unit I went to. I had a buck antelope tag and two doe antelope tags. My Brother in law went with me too help out and we had a great time. This was my first trip to Wyoming so I was not really looking for anything huge. Just wanted to get a lay of the land and find some good areas to hunt in the future. We left the house in Gilbert at 4 in the morning and we were off.

post-3514-0-60947300-1319053929_thumb.jpg

We drove all the way to Laramie and decided to spend the night there. Little did we know it was homecoming weekend for the University of Wyoming and almost every hotel was booked. We finally found one which was extremely overpriced but o well. We woke up Saturday morning and drove to my unit which was about an hour and a half north of there. Didnt take long and we had some spotted and were walking into the the hunter management area.

post-3514-0-95217700-1319053938_thumb.jpg

I spotted several herds with some decent bucks and we were off. I tried to sneak around a big knob and come around to get a shot at a nice buck i had seen. The wind was way too strong to try anything of any distance so I knew it was time to crawl. I peek over the hill and see them at about 200 yds. Perfect! I get all set up and peek ove again for the shot. Nothing! No antelope in sight and it had only been about 30 seconds. Thinking I did something to screw it up I slowly stand up to look around and a few coyotes decided they wanted first dibs at the lopes. At least I knew it wasnt my fault. I walk to a different area and see more antelope everywhere but they are too skiddish to let me within 1000 yds. The rest of the morning was spent closing the distance which I eventually did on a decent buck. Here was the shot as I waited him out.

post-3514-0-06761000-1319053948_thumb.jpg

Buck down after only a 100 yd shot He dropped in his tracks from the 7mm. See if you can find him where he lay below...

post-3514-0-23609700-1319053955_thumb.jpg

My first antelope ever!

post-3514-0-56447600-1319053965_thumb.jpg

post-3514-0-41927400-1319053971_thumb.jpg

The next morning I decided to go look for deer up on a high mountain nearby and see if it was worth getting a leftover tag. A storm blew in and made it a bit too foggy to try to really se much. Got some good pics from it so it was worth it.

post-3514-0-95939300-1319053984_thumb.jpg

post-3514-0-02095300-1319053991_thumb.jpg

post-3514-0-84287500-1319053996_thumb.jpg

After that I decided to go after the two doe tags I had in my pocket. It wasnt long before I found one to shoot. I hit her good and she was down. I used my 30-06 on her at 120 yds and it did extreme amounts of damage on her so there were no pics taken. 165 gn federal ballistic tip was too much for her. I did get some good meat on her though. Just nothing on the front end.

The next doe was accompanied by a huge buck that I wish I had a buck tag for in that unit. I only had doe tags for this unit so he will have to wait til next year. the doe was 263 yds from me and i dropped her in her tracks as well. 7mm 162 gn hornady sst was a good match for her. there was nothing left of her heart when I opened her up.

post-3514-0-07329800-1319054008_thumb.jpg

Overall this was a very fun trip that I would recommend to anyone. We made the drive back in one day with two people driving and it wasnt so bad. I will be back year after year with the family for many more memorable experiences. Special thanks to my Bro In Law Kevin. I owe you...

Great hunt!what unit and what were the reguirements along with costs

I've bought 2 years of bonus points; my buddy, my brother, and I are thinking of doing this very thing.

Hadn't seen this thread until now.

Congrats on the success! This is a hunt I will do someday.

Looks like a blast and thanks for sharing. My day and i have been building points the past four years and hope to draw in 2013. Can't wait.

nosajpo, sounds like you had a nice hunt. I really enjoyed my WY antelope hunt in 2010. I have been looking at draw odds, winterkill areas, and Eastmans reports to figure a unit for which to apply this year with good chance of being drawn. Those pronghorn sure are beautiful and mine was tasty.

Nice thanks for the info. We have been Doing the research for the last few years but havnt put in for draw yet. Did you guys have the meat shipped back to you or take it all the way back here in a cooler?