Sign in to follow this  
arizonaelitefreak

tough times and drastic measures

to sell or not to sell  

33 members have voted

1. 1. to sell or not to sell

Hello I'm new to the site but if it helps the city of Surprise and Avondale are going to hire utility technician for the waste water department and your plumbing experience is a +!!!!!!!!!

Is your local the same as the Phoenix local for sprinkler fitters/pipefitters??? I work for Rosendin Electric out at Intel. Harder, DSI, JB Henderson are all union shops that have a lot of work. Plus, with Fab 42 not even built yet there is a LOT of work for years to come. I don't know how you feel about moving or possibly doing some commuting, but that might be an avenue for you to look at. You probably already know all this but thought I would throw it out there.

I went through a similar dilemma in December after some unpaid time off for surgery and I sold some hunting stuff that I really did not want to sell. It paid the bills and for that I don't regret losing that stuff. It can always be replaced later.

yeah currently i am waiting to hear if the company i wa laid off from gets the contract signed for the fab 42, cuz then they would need like 20-30 guys asap to get started btw guys i live in chandler now just havent changed my profile yet!lol

I feel ya. 2 years ago I lost everything because of economy and divorce. Had to sell just about everything. I was crushed! But we gotta do what we can to survive. I am heading back to TUcson from Montana next week. My biggest fear is getting a job. Went through what you did. The over qualified speach, people afraid to hire me because they think you will bail on them if something better comes along. Its not as easy to get a job when you are 50.

Hang in there. Material things can be replaced eventually, even though it is hard to let them go.

First off, I really feel for you and hope your situation improves. To your initial question, I don't know anything about your particular situation, but I have often wondered what I would do if I were there. I have accumulated a LOT of good hunting gear over the years, and at used/garage sale prices, I still don't think I could change my overall predicament for more than a couple of weeks by getting rid of it. Considering how long it will take to get back, a big part of me leans toward keeping the stuff you know will be hard to replace and maybe thinning out some of the other things that aren't crucial.

Man, my heart goes out to you. I think maybe as a community, we can come together and see if we can't ease your burden. I know there are lots of good people here who would gladly donate some cash to help you get through this rough period.

DesertBull has a great suggestion. A buddy of mine decided, against the odds, to leave his old job and start a company of his own - he's a heavy equipment operator. Best decision he ever made, IMO. Now he owns his company, lots of equipment, sets his own hours and answers to nobody (well, maybe his wife..lol). That choice was hard, but he's in a way better place now financially - and freedom wise.

When you get the "overqualified" run-around, maybe that is a message that you are ready to be the boss.

Best of luck to you.

On another Arizona hunting site, TLH posted that Cabelas is hiring for multiple jobs.

I wish you the best.

Are you outta 469 or 669? Who were you working for? Have any UA welding certs? If you have a 18a and/or a 42 cert let me know.

I assume your a Commercial Fitter? Have you ever done residential CPVC? I have three commercial projects going on in Phoenix. And we are waiting on three huge Multi Family project that are ready to start in the next couple months. But I must tell you I'm not a Union company and never will be.

Buckhorn

i am 669 no welding certs but i was a journeyman/foreman on the residential side running apt complexes for 5/6 years then decided i wanted to go commercial and did the whole apprenticeship from start to finish! so yeah i am skilled in all aspects of the trade!

I assume your a Commercial Fitter? Have you ever done residential CPVC? I have three commercial projects going on in Phoenix. And we are waiting on three huge Multi Family project that are ready to start in the next couple months. But I must tell you I'm not a Union company and never will be.

Buckhorn

sent you a pm buckhorn!!

thanks for all the info and concern guys means alot to me! wife says were ok, thank god she has a decent job! guess im more going stir crazy sittin at home than anything and just needing to rant, job hunt is on going but nothing yet!

I agree with most of whats been said. Sell the stuff you value least for now. If you do have items of sentimental value, find a way to keep them. You may rationalize that you can do without, but you'll regret it forever. ;)

Sell your wife and keep the hunting gear! Just kidding, I was in your shoes in 2008 and I sold most of my stuff, optics, bows, tool boxes, BBQ all kinds of stuff. It is only stuff and it can be replaced. Now I am back on my feet and even got some better stuff.

Went through some trials and tribulations when I got divorced many years ago and I did sell some items to pay bills. What was worse was that I actually gave up hunting for a season. Then I decided I didn't care if I had to hunt with a home-made spear, I was never going to let economic hard times, stress, whatever, keep me from hunting again as long as I was physically able.

Times will improve for you and you will buy more gear than you will need again. We all do. In the meantime, you pay some bills and hunt cheaper. But never stop supporting your family or hunting.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Lee