Sign in to follow this  
swwildlife

2 first bucks

I took my son and one of his friends out hunting this weekend. We had a hard time the first day. didn't see a living creature. I started to second guess myself. Then on Sunday we tried a new place that I have never been to before. I knew of the canyon but never looked into it. we got to the edge and when the sun came up, I thought "Oh now what have I gotten myself into, I don't think I could go down there after a deer and make it out." It was a huge canyon. with in 15 min. we glassed a buck on the nearest mini ridge, just going over. The boys talked me into skirting around the canyons edge about a half mile to see where the buck went. "You know Dad its the only one we have seen, so we better go after it." What logic. So we did. After working around the canyon's edge on a 60-70 degree slope. we spied the buck lying down. and also saw a doe. we worked into 269 yds and my son's friend took the shot. down he went with one shot. as we were high 5 ing what we thought was a doe turned out to be a one horned buck (the other horn turned down along it's face)came walking out from the trees. My son shot it too. It was great to see their faces when we got to their trophies. Now the real work began. They packed one deer out and came back for the second. It took us about 3 hours to get both the bucks out, even though straght as the crow flys was about 800 yards. rocky, steep, slick, and hot. You can bet they wont forget their first deer!

post-4580-0-95365200-1319470065_thumb.jpg

post-4580-0-74181600-1319470150_thumb.jpg

Thats great. And you need to be commended as well for taking out your son and his friend. Some people would not do that or just take out their son. I like how they talked you into going after the buck.

I bet you wont forget their first deer either :lol:

Second buck is very unique. Awesome job with the kids.

Congrats to the boys and you as well for getting them out to share the great outdoors!

Awesome! Congratulations!

That's awesome.

To get the job done for both boys within minutes f each other is priceless.

I do like that crazy looking spike.

See, it does pay to hike the deep steep canyon! LOL

Congrats to both the boys. Oh what fun it can be being a dad and wishing you had the stamina of a 16yr old again. Great Job memories last forever.