Sign in to follow this  
weatherby1

Take the time

Hello all. This is just a reminder to everybody. About a month ago I was in a nasty accident on the farm where I work. I was crushed between a tractor and ripper. I was pinned there for over an hour before we could gather up a cutting torch and cut me out. I am fine now just have some burns,cuts,bruise,ect.. It could have turned out very different however the margin of death or never walking again was a mere inch. While I was pinned there I got started thinking about my family and what they would be left with I was gone. It finally hit me that the only thing that we can truly leave with those that are left behind is memories. So I would say to everyone be sure to take your kids,wife,mom,dad, whoever is important in your life hunting with you. I know that the country a lot of us hunt in is very rugged and remote and sometimes hard for little or old legs to follow in, but if that is the case find a spot that is eaiser for them. The deer are not going anywhere, you or they might be. I can assure you that they will rember the time spent with you a lot longer than the hike in or size of animal taken. If you loved ones have no intrest in hunting than spend time doing what interests them. It is all about the time spent and memories made that counts. It was a very eye opening expirance for me and while I have always tried to include my family in my hunts I find myself trying harder now.

• Like 1

too bad it seems like a lotta times it takes a near death experience to slep us back to reality, but then again it's a good thing it happens sometimes too. glad you're on the mend and glad i got to read your words. Lark.

Very good post,we get caught up in every day problems,it's hard to slow down,and smell the roses.I'm glad that you are on the mend.

My attitude from many years back came from a line in Readers Digest - "you never hear anyone on their death bed wishing they had spent more time at work".

As a result if I wasn't packing the pager for the week I had my wife and daughters out in the Az outback somewhere. At the time the girls hated it, wanted to stay home and play video games, hit the mall, etc. Now that they are married they cherish the memories of the different parts of this beautiful state they have visited, camped in, hunted in and just generally enjoyed. There are no do-overs with kids.

Good advice.

We only get one shot at this fellas.

My favorite quote of all time is Abe Lincolns...

"...and in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."

Great post, we can all slow down a bit in life. Also take more pictures and keep a diary in the field. I hunted/camped lots with my grandfather and now that he is gone I would love to have a pic of him and I chopping wood or setting up a tent. Because it's part of what I do, for goodness sake if you don't have enough money in the bank to take care of your family if you are gone, go buy some life insurance! We insure our cars, boats, toyhaulers, quads, homes, but we all too often forget the most important thing: our family. Glad to hear you are ok.