Sorry if this has been discussed before...if so post the thread and I'll take a look. I've looked around but couldn't find it and the AZGFD info I found was confusing at best.

I'm curious as to exactly how the draw works, taking into account bonus points and choices. I understand that the number of bonus points = the number of chances a hunter has to come up in the first round.

But how do the choices work? I've read somewhere that in the first round only the first 2 choices count...is this true? Then what happens with the subsequent rounds?

Seems like there should be a simple answer and I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Thanks!

how deep do you want to get into this? first pass is for max bonus pt holders. 20% of the tags go to these individuals. if you put in with other people they avg your bogus points. after that the next pass looks at your first two choices. if you do not draw than you go to the next pass which looks at your last 3 choices but only after they have gone through everyone's first two. thus, when you look at draw odds, typically if a hunt has draw odds of less than 100% you would not draw this hunt if you put it as one of your last 3 choices because all the tags would be gone in the first pass. also, non residents can only draw 10% of the tags. lots of info on this on the g&f website but it is a little complicated and does get a little confusing. good luck.

Draw Process <<<<< Click here for explanation on AZGFD

Basically, there are 3 steps:

#1 20% Bonus Pass- in this part, 20% of permits of each hunt number are drawn by those with the most bonus points. The applicants first and second choices are looked at. Beware that if you have just a few BP and put in a very easy draw second choice (like 36B Nov), you can draw this second in the 20% pass and not have a chance at your first choice.

#2 1-2 Pass. New random numbers are assigned, and the applicants first two choices are looked at.

#3 3-4-5 pass. New random numbers are assigned and the applicants third through fifth choices are looked at.

If drawn in any pass, your bonus points are used (excluding the hunter ed and loyalty points). The 10% Non-resident cap on permits applies to all passes, so if you apply with a NR for a premium hunt (like 33 Dec), you may not draw if the 10% NR permits are issued in the 20% pass.

That's part of the problem....IT DOSE’NT WORK. They need to fix it so it will work correctly in the future. I have seen people get drawn over and over again and again for great hunts while the rest of us sit back for 7 plus years or more without an Elk tag.

It makes me wish i had bought a lifetime hunting license before i left the state. But I didn't have the money just getting out of college. Have the funds now ... but I haven't lived in-state for 20 years now.

I hate the 10% non-res rule. I come back every year ... pay $384 combined non-res license + tag not including transportation. At least this year, I did pull a 36B Dec hunt. My dad is still in Tucson and I come back to help him glass and carry even if i don't have a tag. Bringing my son back for the first time this year now that he is getting old / strong enough to hike the distance.

It makes me wish i had bought a lifetime hunting license before i left the state.

I bought one a few years back and it has been one of the better investments I have done. I hear you about scapin and savin during school!!!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I read the AZGFD info a while back, but maybe didn't read it thoroughly enough. The simplified breakdown by Sundevil and Red Rabbit really makes more sense to me now.

"The draw. How does it work"

It isn't very complicated. It works much like any other lottery. You send them money and hope for some luck. The difference, at least for me, is that they send most of my money back. :)

Bill Quimby

one other thing,and someone please correct me if i'm wrong. the bonus points only give you multiple chances in the draw for your random position number in the draw (not the draw for the hunts themselves). your BEST random position number is then used for the hunt draw but you only have one pos number in the draw for the hunt/animal.

one other thing,and someone please correct me if i'm wrong. the bonus points only give you multiple chances in the draw for your random position number in the draw (not the draw for the hunts themselves). your BEST random position number is then used for the hunt draw but you only have one pos number in the draw for the hunt/animal.

Yup.

That is how it works. For every bonus point you have you are assigned a random number. As I understand it, if there are 100 applicants with 5 bonus points each, AZGFD assigns numbers 1-500 to every bonus point. If those 100 applicants are applying for 10 tags, simplified, numbers 1-10 get tags.