mruda1

Under Armour hunting boots reviews

I'm looking to finally replace my old pair of Cabelas hunting boots (which have always caused a slight pain) before my upcoming Coues hunt. I've been looking at the new line of Under Armour hunting boots, but afraid to spend the $$ on such a new product. However, I know that UA always makes a good product. Anyone by chance have an opinion on these yet???

I've also been eyeing the Danner Pronghorns, but have heard/seen from recent posts that Danner's quality has been on the decline recently. Any suggestions???????? Thanks in advance!

I was wondering when this would come up. I bought a pair of the UA Speed Freak boots just before my elk hunt. I'm a boot junkie, but wanted some good, solid boots that were a little more like running shoes for lighter, faster hunting.

Overall, I like them - but, I think I paid around $170 for them. If you compare them to other boots the next level up like Cabelas/Meindl Perfekt hunters Kenetrek or some of the solid leather upper Asolo boots, they don't compare. If you compare them with most of the soft leather/nylon boots in their class they are great. But IMO, the price point is a bit too high for what you get. If these were $100 - $120 boots they would be on top of their class. But when you start getting up into the $200 range for boots, I think the expectation level goes way up, beyond what a suede/nylon boot can offer.

Overall, I'm happy with mine, and they have performed well and are very comfortable, I just think they are a little over priced.

One of my coues hunters brought speed freeks last week, and it nearly crippled him.

Those boots do not belong in coues country, ever.

The boots in the UA line look like they would last almost all weekend......imho.

Thanks for the info gentleman. Looks like I'll steer clear of the speed freaks for now. Anyone by chance have any info on the UA Ridge Reaper or Caliber Trail?? Those look like they'd be a bit more rugged and able to handle the coues county.

I have the Meindl Perfekt Hiker, from Cabelas. A bit heavy, but the most comfortable, supportive boot I've ever owned. The Perfekt Hunter is the high-top version. I may try those if mine ever wear out....no sign of it after 3 years in coues country.

I like my ridge runners they are good boots light weight and comfy used them on a 8 mile hike first day out the box and had no issues with them at all they replace my 5 year old danners

I have a pair of Pronghorns I bought in 9/10. They could be a tad wider but after walking 100 ft thsy loosen up just fine. When I buy new boots (every 10 years or so), and I have many pairs, I first narrow down which ones come in xtra wide, then go for weight then looks. Once I hit every place in town I start trying on boots and usually after a few months buy a pair. It's a royal PIA, so obviously I don't do it very often. All of my other boots have been Rocky's, up until the Danners. I walk alot, with a frame pack and don't own a quad or horsey.

I also take care of my boots with a decent leather conditioner. I am using one from Justin lately. I also got smart about socks. I love my Smart Wool socks. They never get matted down, wick water and sweat away. And I can wear the same pair for a few days, yes a few days if need be. At $15 a pair they are pricey but they are light years ahead of regular socks when it comes to comfort and can make a good pair of boots a lot more comfortable.

Thanks for all the info. I eventually went with the pronghorns, and so far after 2 hunts I love them. No complaints!

Most of us have learned the hard way. There are boots and then they are Coues Country Boots. Two entirely different animals. Good luck with your boot choice.