Sign in to follow this  
gauchoand

Remington Screwing Me

Just found out that the rifle I recieved as a present from the wife 6 years ago has been recalled. Not only is it one of my favorite guns to shoot but it had a bit of sentimental value to it... Heres what Remington has to say about it....

" immediately stop using your Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle. If you own a Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle and wish to return it to Remington please contact the below Remington Consumer Service Number. In return for your Remington Model 597 17 HMR synthetic stock semi-automatic rifle, Remington will provide you a coupon valued at $200.00 good for the purchase of a replacement Remington firearm. If you have a laminate stock Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle, Remington will provide you a coupon valued at $250.00 good for the purchase of a replacement Remington firearm. This Coupon is for end users only and will be good for the purchase of a Remington firearm at your local dealer."

Oh what a great solution... Give me a coupon thats half the original purchase price of the gun. Oh there going to allow me to spend it on buying another one of their crappy guns. What a solution guys... Oh wait I forgot to mention they said I can keep it but that never to shoot it again.

Real standup company here.... If thats the best their going to do to resolve a problem I swear to never own another Remington firearm in my life.

Heres the gist of the why of the recall:

I'm out shooting my favorite game with the rifle and the rifle exploded in my hands. I was hit in the face (remember, always wear your glassses!) with the extractor, the bolt was cracked in half, and we never found all the small parts from the bolt which were blown out of the gun..... any 17hmr ammo is not capable of being safely fired from a semi auto gun and is an idustry wide recall on guns.

Sorry guys just really upset at what they are doing to their customers.

• Like 1

It's the ammo causing the problem?

I believe your right searching the web I find that the issue stems from the fact that the case is not capable of withstanding the pressures when fired from a semi-auto. The pressures on the case are higher due to not being locked into the chamber. When the bolt blows back if the pressures arent completely vented out the muzzle the case has the potential to explode. Which is why they still make bolt action rifles we arent fast enough to open the bolt before the pressures have all dissipated out the muzzle.

I want to keep the gun and just keep using it but. In searching for others with the same problem have found lots of "stories."

200$ and you get to keep the gun?!?! Get the Remington stimulus package and get your self something nice while you take your gun out next time. If you think about it, this is their way of getting out of a huge lawsuit. Its up to you if you want to shoot it again, just be safe.

200$ and you get to keep the gun?!?!

I only get the 200 coupon if the gun is returned.... and all I can buy with that is their bottom of the line 22lr. Which still will cost me about $20- 50 depending on where I buy.

AZLance No offense but I dont see how 200 is better than nothing...

$280 w/o tax originally so roughly 300 bucks 6yrs ago not inlcudung the cabelas rimfire scope thats on it (but hey I'm fair thats reusable). Now they want the gun back and only want to pay 200 for it.... So someone is out 100 bucks and it isnt remington.

Now i can take my 200 coupon and add on roughly 150 more out of my own pocket again to get a worthwhile gun. (Remington doesn't make any 17 rimfires anymore so scopes worthless without buying another one from another manufacturer... )

If the $200 doesn't interest you, then it sounds like you have a neat yard decoration...

Sounds like pretty poor customer service to me. Usually a recall involves "making the customer whole", which means fixing or replacing the product free of charge to the customer. I can see why you are not happy with this.

"Sounds like pretty poor customer service to me. Usually a recall involves "making the customer whole", which means fixing or replacing the product free of charge to the customer. I can see why you are not happy with this."

Agreed. I would not be happy either. They should pay you the suggusted retail value of the gun at the time of sale.

Question: If the gun was blown apart, how is it functional still?

The bean counters are in charge, not the Customer Service folks. Welcome to the 21st century!

I heard that Remington will also rebarrel the gun to a 22mag. You just send it in, and they send it back as 22mag. That is definitely a better solution than 200 bucks. There is lots of info at rimefirecentral.com

Or you could just find a 22mag barrel. That would let you keep your 17 barrel. They might be worth something some day if everyone sends them back.

There is also a legitimate debate as to whether or not problem is really with the gun. I have read that ammo makers have trouble with tolerances, and that might be source of the problem. All the ammo makers now say don't use their ammo in semi-auto guns, and it is because of that Remington is offering a recall. In that case, Remington is really just being nice offering you anything at all.

just a thought

There is also a legitimate debate as to whether or not problem is really with the gun. I have read that ammo makers have trouble with tolerances, and that might be source of the problem. All the ammo makers now say don't use their ammo in semi-auto guns, and it is because of that Remington is offering a recall. In that case, Remington is really just being nice offering you anything at all.

just a thought

You are right on. There is a reason you are not seeing any 17HMR semi auto's put out there anymore....ammo issue not a Rem issue. I have a friend turn a .22 semi auto into a 17mach 2 semi and its a shooter and much safer....

Remington seems to have lots of recalls latly. New model out, other that a 700, equals recall a few years later. Look at the Vers-Max(sp) 12ga....

:ph34r: