Sign in to follow this  
C.O.U.E.S.

Shawn's 1st Buck..early hunt ....101'

Well folks I finally learned how to add/change pic size for posting...jeez what headache...anyways,on to the story.

I met Shawn a little less then a year ago and in no time was filling his ear with my outdoor endeavors and how if he wanted to put in for deer, I would get him the the opportunity at "A" deer within 50 miles of where we work. Well, the deer deadline fast approaching, apps were filled out and sent off.

Fast forward a couple of months, Shawn drew 24b early whitetail and plans were made to ...1) get him shooting out to 300 yds.(2) scout... and with opening day fast approaching we realized that due our work schedule's we would be limited to hunting after work :o ...

Day 1

Afternoon hunt, and around 530 a buck was located ranged at 320 yds. I ask Shawn "It's up to you bud? and he gives me the head nod that say's " I got this" ;) ...well 2 shots later this buck walks over the ridge perfectly healthy...well, maybe his right rear toe nail clipped...lol..we walk back to the truck in the dark all the while him telling me how he DIDN'T get buck fever...rushed a little due to light fading fast... :lol: great memory and plans were made for the next day...

Day 2 turns out that we both can make out into field early...10am if you want call it early :huh: glassed as many high points as possible and found deer all day...nothing but skinheads...except for "Mr Buckley"..the name Shaw gave him later. This muley buck was HUGE and he fed in front of us about 400 yds. out ...as usual hunting WT. and ol'roman nose 5x5 decides to show... :angry:

I explain to him to get used to it...it never fails

Day 3

I can't hunt but Shawn can... he and one of his buddies make it out and bigman shows off his newly acquired glass'n skills ... B) ..no whitetails all muleys

Day 4

We are able to get out a little early and we bonzai deep to a highpont where I have seen some nice bucks in the past, nothin movin or bedded from our glassin point... :unsure: ...at 5pm I catch movement 600yds. I tell shawn "mountian lion" and tell to take a look through the 15s...His look was a classic " you got me out here with them thing's walk'n around"... :( ...too funny, anyways I proceed to get lined up and 2 shots later I am thinking i hit him... we bail off our highpoint headed for lion country look'n for blood :unsure: ...halfway there I tell Shawn "buck" 120 yds. in front of us standing broadside looking at us...4 shots later we named this buck the matrix...cause every shot Shawn sent his way...this deer dodged it and headed around the same mountain we were headed. We come around the ridge look'n for cat and deer...the hole time shawn is cussing his shooting abilities, or lack there of :angry: ...a minute later I whisper there he is, looking at us under a tree...100yds. maybe less. Let's just say 3 shots later this buck had enough and was giving the purrrtiest "fu...rget you flag wave possible as he headed for safer country healthy as the day it was born.

We look for blood till dark, lion is evidently nice and healthy also...

It's along hike back to the truck in the dark and Shawn is grappling with how the best day of his life turned to the worst in about 2.2 sec. ;) ;) He let's it be known that if his hunt was over right then and there he would be content and would definately be back for more...

Day 5

We meet up at 245 pm and head for a canyon that I've glassed whitetail's before but looks like muley country, At 430 Shawn glasses up a heard of javy's across the canyon and insists that he seen a deer, but can not find it again :(

at 515 he tells me he found it at looks like a muley...I take look with the 15s and low and behold 2 nice whitetails... a 2x2 with long eye guards and a very nice 3x3 that looks like he could be pushing 90 in. Smaller buck standing broadside and basket rack facing us ...With light fading, BOOM...just missed... 3x3 wastes no time sticking around...2x2 standing proud and wondering WTF...BOOM ....looked hit, back hunched up skirting the ridge and around the corner. We bail off the mountian and look for any sign of a hit deer... nothing found....it was a long hike back to the truck and thunderstorm soaked us to the core...

Day 6

We get to the same glassing point as yesterday at 330 and its hot. We have an extra set of eyes today, the last day and we are gonna close it out strong 4pm nothing 430, 500, nothing. At 510 I glass this buck up 600 yds. out feeding on top of a nasty butte feeding. We gotta go "NOW" and we bail off the mountian into the wash as fast as possible. We get to 300 yds. and I get Shawn on the deer...'" do not look at the antlers" and he gave me the same look that came with the lion spot...lol...BOOM...miss....BOOM...miss, and the deer walks down hill out of sight...we gotta move quick...we move up about 75 more yards and I see him looking at us over the brush neck and antlers only...Shawn is having a hard time finding him in the scope...finally...he says "gotm" SHOOT.... BOOM and I see him drop in his tracks...WHOOOHOOOO... HUGS

and high fives all around...Shawn is in disbelief :o ...shooting light fades soon after and we start up the mountian by flashlight....well I will let the pics speak for themselves....Big Thanks Shawn..! for a great hunt and memory...you are going to have a hard time topping this buck but I know you will spend the rest of your day's try'n....MAX

Thank's to Chris for the packout... my bro Nick(greyhawk) for tapeing him that night....101' and change

post-1414-0-81464500-1320727138_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-63198600-1320727169_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-20364200-1320727195_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-57531900-1320727230_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-82900300-1320727267_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-72183500-1320727303_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-77217200-1320727360_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-92691600-1320727391_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-46733100-1320727424_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-93789900-1320727449_thumb.jpg

Awesome first deer for your buddy! Plus to see a mountain lion... way cool! Tell him it's okay to smile in the pictures ;)

sounds to me like he was just practicing his shooting in preparation for a big buck or he was really holding out for a big one and just didn't want to tell you. kind of like when my hunting partner mysteriously misses javelina at point blank range.

Dang Primo, When are you gunna put me on one of those TOADS? Lol! That buck is SICK! Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!

Congrats!

Definitely hooked for life now.

Sweet 1st buck! That last pic looks like a different deer with the view of that right G2. Good job...