Sign in to follow this  
azcoueshuntr

youth rifle

Lookn at Buying my 14 year old daughter a new gun was leaning toward a tikka 243 wsm or 243 is the 243 wsm recoil that much of a difference then the regular 243 my daughter is about 5'0" and 100lbs soaking wet she was using a reg 270. win but is flinching way to much any input would be helpful and this will be used for coues mulie and pig thanks guys...

A short mag does have alot of kick. I would stick with just a 243 or other small round like 22-250. Cabelas sales a savage bolt action 243 youth model with a scope and synthetic camo stock for $400 and it loves a 100gr remington express ammo. Daughter just killed with one. She was shooting 300 yards easilyat the range. Killed dear with one round at 175.

My 2 cents

I have a friend that can install a muzzle brake for 130 with quick turn around if you need one!

I just edited this post to show the triclawps up close. Good idea cramerhunts!

post-2686-0-38323000-1320983724_thumb.jpg

I would strongly suggest a 243 and you also might want to look into her shooting off of the triclawps, rifle railz, or something similar mounted to a good heavy tripod. My 10 year old daughter has this set up with absolutely no flinch or recoil transmitted to her shoulder. She has become very confident and deadly as well.

.243 WSSM has very minimal recoil, nearly identical to a standard .243, but with slightly better ballistics due to shorter powder column... perfect youth cartridge and perfect coues cartridge. I believe some of the above guys are confusing it with a WSM which is in .270, 7mm, 300 and .325, a much bigger cartridge and much more recoil.

I would look into the .25 WSSM however, that way if she ever wants to shoot an elk with it, you bump it up to a 110gr. Accubond or Scirroco and you've got yourself an elk rifle. Other good options would be a .260 Remington or 7mm-08, perhaps a .257 Roberts if you can find one. I would stay away from the muzzlebrake unless you want to wear ear plugs 24/7 while you are hunting, I've had my hearing destroyed by muzzlebreaks, had hearing proteciton in my pocket but forgot about it in the heat of the moment one to many times. Your shoulder will heal, your ears wont.

How is the recoil compare between the .243 and the .25-06? I have been thinking about a rifle for my kids as well.

The 25-06 does kick a little more about like a 270. You can get the low recoil 243 and 7mm-08 loads from Remington for break-in and to get comfortable. My buddy did this with his daughter on the 7mm. .243 ammo is probably more readily available with a lot of choices for a little less money than the most other rounds.

My daughter held every gun at Sportman's and Bass Pro we probably made at least 3 trips to each. She kept going back to the Tikka T3 lite and the Win Featherweight. The Tikka is a steal so we went with that, oh and they have a 1 MOA guarantee even on their lowest end model. All the other youth models were heavier than these 2 guns or did not have the same balance and felt heavier.

I just got my 11 year old daughter a 25-06 for x-mas she shot it with out a problem. She has never even shot a 22 lr and the recoil is alot less then a .270 and imo it is a better round then the .243 at 200 plus yards

I really like the .270 WSM for a "kids" gun (my kids are boys), heck I think it's a great all-around adult gun, but if she's flinching with a .270, then maybe a standard .243 or 22-250 (or 25-06) might be a better choice.

There's a lot you can do with the gun itself to cut down on recoil too. A muzzle break combined with a really good recoil pad like the Simms or Pachmayr decelerator can really make a huge difference in kick.

I bought a cheap wood stock for my kids' Howa .270 WSM, cut it down and put on a Simms recoil pad and they shoot it as comfortably as they do my AR-15, (.223 with a buffer spring = no substantial kick). And they are in the 100 pound range. I considered a muzzle brake to ease it up even more, but haven't found that necessary.

While I haven't done it myself, if you took a .243 or 25-06, put on a muzzle break and a good recoil pad, I think kids could shoot it very comfortably. Of course, if you use a muzzle break, it's a lot louder so hearing protection both at the range and in the is an important consideration.

Got my 12 yo boy the Savage youth 7mm-08 shooting 139 gr Hornandy SST's and it worked great on his cow elk and has never complained about recoil. Cabela's sells it in a rifle/scope combo.

just get a good .243 and go with it. every store has ammo. ammo is cheap. 100 gr bullets will kill anything we have around here. they don't kick much. very accurate. they work well in any action. every wssm i've seen, no matter what caliber, is a nightmare to get the ammo from the magazine into the barrel. the .243 has been as dependable as the sunrise for over 50 years. Lark.

I started my daughter on a .243 at about 8 years old. At age 10 she was drawn for elk and I had her try a few shots from her mom's .308. She has not let go of the .308 since. She has taked deer pig and elk with it. By shooting the .243 for a couple years she took to the .308 without a problem.

Started my 10 year old son out on a savage youth .308 with muzzle brake. Killed a few deer with it out to 200 yards. Fun gun to shoot and little to no recoil.

Here is just an idea. Have you looked into managed recoil rounds? Remington makes then for the .270 win. They are about the same price. I have seen them at Sportsmans Warehouse. The write up I have seen is they are good out to 200 yards. Just a cheeper test befor you go buy a new gun.