Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Bino Harnesses

Looks like binocular suspension has come a long way. It used to be a narrow strip of nylon around your neck, then, some optics makers like Swaro started providing neoprene neck straps. Next, Crooked Horn came in and totally changed things with thier system, which I've been using for years now.

But I know there are a lot of better systems out there now than what I'm using. Mine flop around, stretch out, have to be turned upside down when stalking...

So I've been looking at a couple of newer designs. The S4 gear lockdown and Badlands Bino case both look good.

What have you guys found that works well?

I been using the crooked horn suspenders and found they flopped a bit and my investment was also out in the open. Bought a bino cover with an adjustable elastic strap that goes around the back. Binos are totally protected and still easily accessible. It was less than twenty dollars and I love it. Bought it at sportsmans and I think it's also made by crooked horn

I have tried everything. I personally like the one made by the guys in St. Johns or the S4. To fit the 10x50 SLC's you have to modify the S4 though. I talked with their engineers and they are going to come out with an XL that will fit the 10x50's and 15x56's.

Scott

I have a badlands bino vault and i must say it's growing on me! At first i thought..bulky,but it's not really! I really like the bow holder hook on the bottom and the other features as well. After 3 hunts i'm getting to like it alot more.(really like the bow hook)The only draw back i have at this point is that i do alot of archery hunting as well as rifle,and if it's quiet out and your in close it's a bit noisy pulling out the bino's and putting them back in. It' not so much the magnet that makes noise as long as you dont let it slam shut,as it is the type of material on the inside.I wish it was lined with some type of felt or fleece,something soft. Probably going to figure out a mod of some sort for mine.But over all pretty handy product. Also i think there is a different style in the cw store that looks ok but i like the badlands a little better.

Ive used a few of the various elastic trap types recently I purchased on of these- http://ranchosafari.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=7 from Rancho Safari. Ive been using this guys pack and other stuff for close to a decade and the quality is excellent and their all American made.

I still like the crooked horn suspenders, just added one of the binobib's to my 15x56 and to my Swaro LR. They are simple, inexpensive, and work really well and dont add weight or bulk. Also, big plus it is a local company and they are really nice people who are super responsive.

http://www.scopecoat.com/products/binobib

I use the Crooked Horn Bino harness with their Bino Shield and love it. Keeps it light, my binos are protected, and prevents even my duovids from bouncing.

I have been using the Alaska guide creations bino chest pack, and I have really liked it. I keep a few quick loads for the muzzleloader in the pockets and they stay handy this way if needed. The only thing is I would recommend putting some parachute cord attached to the binoculars around your neck as well, because if you don't snap the top closed and lean over real far they will come sliding out and without the cord they would fall to the ground.

You can buy them here at the CW.com store.

Thanks for the replies, and keep 'em coming. The thing that irks me with my setup is that they attach at the end closest to the eyepiece. So when I'm crouched and stalking, they dangle and I have to flip them upward toward my chest.

The badlands setup is pretty good, but I've tried one once, and it seemed hard to shut quietly. I LOVE the little hook on them that allows you to hang your bow without setting it down to glass.

My "go-to" pack is a Cabela's hybrid day pack, which is really just a great fanny pack with shoulder harness. I wish I could find something I could attach right to that without having a separate harness - everything is already right there.

I've heard good things about the Sitka bino pack, but it's $100 and I'm not sure I want to go that route, yet.

Anyone out there designing backpacks - here's an idea for you. If you could combine a Cabela's hybrid, or badlands Monster fanny with an integrated front bino pouch that stays close to the body, AND find a way to incorporate a light mesh bag supported by the shoulder harness to carry 30-40 pounds of meat, even if that meant some optional corded support poles to create a frame, you would have the perfect set-up for hunters that venture in deep, but stay light and still have the capability to haul out a boned-out deer.

In my last situation, I literally used my friend's under armour shirt with knots in the sleeves as a makeshift game pack. We used parachute chord and mule tape to support the extra weight and put it on the harness and belt of my pack. There is no reason a heavy-duty fanny pack can't be converted to a game-hauling pack - it just hasn't been done yet. Make a detachable, front bino carrier that snaps onto it and you have a winner. Add a range finder tether to the shoulder strap and kifaru gun-bearer and you would have the ultimate setup for run-and gun hunters.

Man, I sure wish I could design this pack. Eventually, it will come but for now we have to piece together the best elements of a lot of good designs that weren't necessarily meant to work together.

I've tried several different bino harnesses including the badlands, the alaska guide creations (small version before they came out with the large size), the S4 lockdown, the crooked horn bino cover, the IPI bino manager, and a FHF Gear (Fish/Hunt/Fight) bino harness. I use 8x42 geovids, so they are somewhat bulky.

Out of all of those I like the FHF Gear and IPI bino manager the best. I actually took the IPI bino manager harness and customized the crooked horn bino cover to attach to it and I like that setup best for archery hunting. The FHF Gear bino harness is a close second and I use that for scouting, helping out, and rifle hunts.

I didn't like the S4 lockdown as even the large size was too small for my binos and the straps dug into my neck. I couldn't get it to fit comfortably.

Ron

The FHF one looks good, is it as comfortable as the crooked horn set up? Is it light, looks pretty heavy duty? Last questions, could you mod this one to work with the crooked horn?

Thanks for the feedback!

The Badlands bino vault is perfect for my 10x42 SLC's. I love that bino pack man! The only thing that I would change is to make it a little easier to take the binos out to put on a tripod. I will have to come up with something for that though for now. I hope they make one that will fit the 15's someday if they don't already.

Just bought the Horn Hunter Bino Hub, haven't even gotten out in the field yet but my Leica 10+15 X 50's fit nicely in it. I like the quality of construction, the ease of use, etc. It even has a means to mount your rangefinder onto the outside of the case. Here's a link to video review.

http://youtu.be/Uhp4tFREY2k