Sign in to follow this  
olmos1010

Fur Handling after the kill

I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to lend me some advice??? I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with a coyote(or any other predator) skin immediately after you skin the animal. What is the best way to flesh the skin, stretch the skin and (put up) the hide? What are the main tools that are absolutely needed? ie: fleshing beams, stretchers, fleshing tools, etc... Where is a good place to get these tools somewhere near Mesa AZ? Also, are there any good instructional videos on the best way to skin, flesh and put up fur? If anyone has any advice or help with this I would really appreciate it. I have been researching and trying different methods on my own and could really use some help from some people who know. Thank you in advance for your help.

I have been wanting to try this as well. Looking forward to seeing the responses.

predator xtreme magazine has had some good articles on this subject.

probably get more help on predator masters forum.

my dad used to do all that in the 70's and made good money doing it.I was too young to have any clue back then. haha!

james

the very best way is to get someone to show you...., hands on is hard to beat..... but yes a fleashing beam ( can be made out of a 2x ) and a some kind of a scraper, coyote are really thin and they scrape pretty well, doing it right away ( both skinning and stretching ) and it is a little easier. yes there are some decent videos out there, i'll have to look for some specific ones. you say "put up the hide" well what do you mean??? skin, fleash, wash, stretch, dry out, fluff, and get ready for the fur buyer, or auction, OR salt and dry out and get ready to send to the tannery for a soft pelt? OR put up and get ready to be mounted.... and for what kind of pose, life size, or rug... all require different things....

but once again HANDS ON, getting someone to show you i think is the very best.... Anyone want make the drive and bring a few coyote's up to the house on a saturday and i'de be glad to show anyone how to skin a dog & put one up. ( for any of the above situations) i live in taylor.

good luck

tommy

Thanks a bunch for your response and for offering to show us rooks how its done. I live in Mesa AZ, so that's about 3hrs and 45 min from where you are or else id be takin you up on your offer for this Sat. I agree that the best way to learn how to "put up" the hides is to have someone show you in person. I want to learn how to get the furs ready for a fur buyer or auction. I've always wanted to get in to this but never knew anyone personally who does it. I think the whole predator huntin/trappin is going to be my next addiction and being able to make a little coin on the side to help fund this addiction sounds good to me. I'm hoping to be able to hook up with someone locally to help point me in the right direction on gettin started.

Thanks again.

Frank,

the very best way is to get someone to show you...., hands on is hard to beat..... but yes a fleashing beam ( can be made out of a 2x ) and a some kind of a scraper, coyote are really thin and they scrape pretty well, doing it right away ( both skinning and stretching ) and it is a little easier. yes there are some decent videos out there, i'll have to look for some specific ones. you say "put up the hide" well what do you mean??? skin, fleash, wash, stretch, dry out, fluff, and get ready for the fur buyer, or auction, OR salt and dry out and get ready to send to the tannery for a soft pelt? OR put up and get ready to be mounted.... and for what kind of pose, life size, or rug... all require different things....

but once again HANDS ON, getting someone to show you i think is the very best.... Anyone want make the drive and bring a few coyote's up to the house on a saturday and i'de be glad to show anyone how to skin a dog & put one up. ( for any of the above situations) i live in taylor.

good luck

tommy

Have you ever thought about joining one of the predator hunting clubs? The Arizona Predator Callers meet in Mesa once per month and they usually have a few demonstrations throughout the year.

I would definitely be interested in joining one of the predator hunting clubs, I just dont know who to contact, how to go about it and where to start. Any info on the best way to get in to the Arizona Predator callers would be greatly appreciated.

Frank,

Have you ever thought about joining one of the predator hunting clubs? The Arizona Predator Callers meet in Mesa once per month and they usually have a few demonstrations throughout the year.

I am the current president of Arizona Predator Callers. To become a member, come to a monthly meeting and pay the yearly membership dues and you're in. We do skinning demonstrations from basic to advanced and are keyed in on teaching new predator hunters how to not only call in and shoot predators but not let the fur go to waste.

Sounds good, count me in.

I'm definitely going to try and get to the next meeting.

Thanks for the info.

Frank,

I am the current president of Arizona Predator Callers. To become a member, come to a monthly meeting and pay the yearly membership dues and you're in. We do skinning demonstrations from basic to advanced and are keyed in on teaching new predator hunters how to not only call in and shoot predators but not let the fur go to waste.

Anybody down near the border that y'all can recommend?