Sign in to follow this  
anthonyrmatthews

Building BP's for your child

So I just had a baby! I was thinking that I could buy him a lifetime hunting license and start building bonus points for him now. That way he might be able to draw a coveted sheep tag in his future. I just got off the phone from the G&F and they told me I couldn't do that and had to wait until he was 10 to put him in. Has anybody else ever considered this?

It's not allowed. You can put his mother, grandpa or grandmother (assuming they don't hunt) in though and they can transfer the tag they draw to him until he's a certain age. I think 18 but not sure.

It's not allowed. You can put his mother, grandpa or grandmother (assuming they don't hunt) in though and they can transfer the tag they draw to him until he's a certain age. I think 18 but not sure.

It's my understanding that if its the parent transfering the tag the parent doing the transfer has to be in the field with the child. If it is the grand parent there's no requirement for them to be in the field with the child.

They closed the loophole for kids getting bonus points. I was able to get my son 4 bonus points before they changed the rule.

It used to be that if you had a social security number, you could put in, but now you must be 10 as well.

Thanks! I knew people had done it, but wasn't sure how. Game & Fish didn't seem to know much about the rule, that's why I asked on here. So it seems that I would build up BP's for my wife and hope that she could draw the tag when he's between the years if 10-18?

Now that my friends is what the world is coming to. :ph34r:

Thanks! I knew people had done it, but wasn't sure how. Game & Fish didn't seem to know much about the rule, that's why I asked on here. So it seems that I would build up BP's for my wife and hope that she could draw the tag when he's between the years if 10-18?

So is it wrong to be thinking about my sons future opportunities?

So is it wrong to be thinking about my sons future opportunities?

No, there is nothing wrong with it. Hope your son (wife) gets a great tag.

• Like 1

Let's all put our wives (even if they dont hunt) in for BPs. Then in 8-10 years we can all have these ladies enter the draw and transfer tags that should have gone to other hunters so we can make sure our kids go on a big game hunt before they are an ancient 13 years old. Great Freakin Idea. Are you serious? There are plenty of opportnities for youth to hunt, lets find other ways to increase it without screwing others. If they dont get drawn right away take them squirrel, rabbit, quail, predator hunting. They will love you just the same. No offense meant directly to you Anthony. I have 2 youngsters of my own (7 and 5) and they will have to wait and see what happens without me trying to screw with an already screwed up system. The sad thing about this is you would not be the first or only one out there to do this or similar things when it comes to increasing individuals or a family's odds for the sake of others.

Mom, dad, and son/daughter all go on a quality hunt together. Son/daughter gets to shoot the animal and a lifetime hunter is born. Sounds like a good thing to me ;)

My son had 4 bonus points for each species when he turned 10. He was able to acquire these before g&f changed the rules. He was also able to keep these bonus points after they changed the rules. Now my wife and I both put in for tags with the thought that if we draw a tag, we will sign it over to him. If you don't want to do this because you think it is wrong, that is great, because it will increase the odds for us.

• Like 1

My son had 4 bonus points for each species when he turned 10. He was able to acquire these before g&f changed the rules. He was also able to keep these bonus points after they changed the rules. Now my wife and I both put in for tags with the thought that if we draw a tag, we will sign it over to him. If you don't want to do this because you think it is wrong, that is great, because it will increase the odds for us.

Well, now that you have posted it on one of the most popular websites in the AZ, everyone will do the same and your advantage will be lost. And the G&F will have to change the process again. :blink:

Well, now that you have posted it on one of the most popular websites in the AZ, everyone will do the same and your advantage will be lost. And the G&F will have to change the process again. :blink:

I was just thinking this same thing the other day when this thread first got started.

CAN WE NUKE THIS THREAD?

I was just thinking this same thing the other day when this thread first got started.

CAN WE NUKE THIS THREAD?

You guys are a little behind! Like I said G&F already changed the rule almost 5doesn't years ago.