Sign in to follow this  
ssmoore

Unit 30A, First Whitetail hunt

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum but I must say this is website is mighty resourceful! My buddy and I have Whitetail tags for the hunt that begins Friday in 30A. We had two scouting trips(did not see anything) and decided that the Pedregosa Mountains are where we will setup camp for the weekend, somewhere on the North side most likely. I was just hoping that some of you gentlemen could provide advice as to that area or put me in touch with someone who could? I'm planning on going to pick up some topo maps this week and I'm fairly familiar with the area after the scouting but any advice or help will be much appreciated!

Also I've hunted Mule and Elk but never hunted for Whitetail...any words of wisdom/tips for a young hunter seeking his first Whitetail?

Thanks a lot guys!

Syd

Hike slow and keep your head up them little deer could be anywhere. Sorry I dont know much about that paticular unit. Glass, glaas and then do some more glassing. The weather is cooler and the rut is around the corner so the deer should be more active.

Good luck!

Find Food, Find thick bedding areas. Then set up somewhere you can glass both. The bucks are starting to get a little antsy around the girls. Good luck! I am on that hunt too but in a different unit

Ssmoore, it's my first whitetail hunt and first time in that Unit. When are you going in? I'm heading out on Turkey day to try and grab a camp site, I'm used to Unit 33 with hunters everywhere so I'm hoping that this one ( 200 permits for the whole unit) will be less crowded. I decided to not waste time with the Doz Cabezas and will be north of the Pedgregrossos. Good luck, post pics when you get back and I will too.

All I've been able to find out about the unit is that there is LOTS of private ground. I'm hoping we'll be able to find someone who will let us in.

All I've been able to find out about the unit is that there is LOTS of private ground. I'm hoping we'll be able to find someone who will let us in.

Yeah, I kind of regret not going for the Santa Ritas, I know that area better and there were alamost the equal number of leftovers tags in that area.

Hey Coues&bass and Scooter,

Thanks a lot for the advice guys! I'll do my best to make you guys proud and post some pics if we get anything! I'll be sure to glass my butt off haha.

Shedghost and coues7, man I guess we're all in the same boat..I was at Tucson Map and flag today and the guy that works there was telling me how everyone hunts this unit only ONCE, haha.

But yeah Ghost we are heading in on Friday morning and should stay till Monday night. From what I saw scouting our best bet is to hump it into the deeper parts of the Pedgregosas. If you need a hand while you're out there send me a PM before ya leave with your number and I'll be more than happy to help you out. Also, I've heard the Peloncillo mts have some good spots in them..

we gave up on that unit long ago but I do know some people that still hunt it and do pretty well. good luck. say hi for me to all those friendly ranchers who lock their gates.

That unit holds some toad coues bucks do not kid your self. It is a hard unit but they are there. Get away from the roads and glass. In the mornings I like to glass from the flats up onto the hill sides as the sun comes up. Then after they move down from the hill sides to bed down in the shade you will be up on the hill sides glassing down to the flats.

Ssmoore- Thanks for the offer but I traded in my cellphone so I could afford my 4x4. I'll hunting south of Rucker Road if you guys don't see anything by Saturday Night. Couldn't get Monday off work so I've got three mornings and evenings.

Here's a pick from my scouting trip, Can't wait, only 1 more day!

027.jpg

Thanks Couesaz, I'll give that a shot!

Shedghost, man that's too bad about the phone! We'll be in a Green Dodge & white Chevy somewhere on that road, should be about 5-6 of us. Yeah I got lucky I'm still unemployed since graduating so gonna hit Monday hard...but hopefully we'll have something by then.

Great pic btw! The area is dang beautiful.

SSMoore, curious how you did? Maybe you went back down yesterday. It sure did Rain Thanksgiving night and opening morning, one guy slid off the road into a tree. I had to leave Sunday night empty handed and I'll say you boys were right, that is a hard Unit. Ghost deer, tracks everywhere, I'd second that perhaps they live in caves. Hopefully I'll get drawn next year so I don't have to do the left over tags again.

Hey Shed,

Same as you brother, we left empty handed Monday afternoon. We had a blast though, hiked about 9 miles or so. Saw 6 does, no bucks at all. Some guys on quads got a buck, looked decent enough. I wasn't too impressed with the place either, but I must say I've never seen so much bear poop in my life, and Sunday I saw a large bear about 300+ yards away while glassing. I think he smelt me though cause he was trucking it in the opposite direction! It was pretty exciting for me though, my first bear sighting!

Guess I know where I'm going for bear hunting!

Yeah, that was interesting seeing fresh bear poop in every drainage and the two track we were hiking in on. We were hunting the area around Bruno Saddle, REAL thick!

Here's to getting drawn in a different UNIT next year.

Hey Shed,

Same as you brother, we left empty handed Monday afternoon. We had a blast though, hiked about 9 miles or so. Saw 6 does, no bucks at all. Some guys on quads got a buck, looked decent enough. I wasn't too impressed with the place either, but I must say I've never seen so much bear poop in my life, and Sunday I saw a large bear about 300+ yards away while glassing. I think he smelt me though cause he was trucking it in the opposite direction! It was pretty exciting for me though, my first bear sighting!

Guess I know where I'm going for bear hunting!