Sign in to follow this  
arizonaelitefreak

new barrel for ruger m77

hey guys my bro is looking to replace his barrel with an after market barrel for his ruger m77 in 25-06 what do you guys recomend? twist taper , manufacturer? is it worth it to replace the barrel on this action?

I never had any issues with the barrels on my Rugers. Unless it got bent or something drastic that would make it fail. Is he having issues with grouping his shots or what is up?

he is reading up on it and everything he is reading says how inaccurate the ruger barrels are due to the fact of how they are cast and such, was thinking of selling it but I think this is an awesome platform for him to build on and was just looking for some info on what a good aftermarket barrel would be!

he is reading up on it and everything he is reading says how inaccurate the ruger barrels are due to the fact of how they are cast and such, was thinking of selling it but I think this is an awesome platform for him to build on and was just looking for some info on what a good aftermarket barrel would be!

Ruger has been making pretty good barrels for almost twenty years, now. Early on, they bought McGowan and a couple of other makes and did have problems. Is his rifle not shooting up to his expectations? If not, how old is it? If he just wants a different length, contour or rate of twist, just about any of the aftermarket barrel makers will sell you one to fit or install it for you. Krieger, Shilen, etc.--check out their web sites or ask your gunsmith what he prefers. If your brother's rifle is a Mk. II or a Hawkeye, the barrel would be about the last thing I would mess with.

Here is an excerpt from an article by Rick Jamison:

Some years back rumors were started and repeated, as rumors are, that Ruger barrels were poor. The rumor was that they were second-party barrels and bought so cheaply that they couldn't possibly be any good.

Like with all production rifles, I've had some Rugers that shot very well and some of them that shot poorly. I do know that Ruger began hammer forging its own barrels a few years back, and recently I’ve had the opportunity to view the interiors of a good many of them with a bore scope.

I can say from personal experience that the interior finish on the current hammer-forged Ruger barrels compares favorably with any other factory barrels. Again, no one seems to have a total handle on accuracy when it comes to rifle barrels. Some barrels simply shoot very well and some do not. I do not think that you can tell from examining a barrel’s dimensions, finish, or even straightness whether it will shoot well. I will say that when everything is right, a Ruger Model 77 Mark II rifle will group as well as practically anyone can shoot it.

Besides a healthy respect for the machinery of a Model 77 Mark II rifle resulting from my exhaustive experimentation with the mechanics of the firearm, I like the rifle. I like the way it handles, functions, and performs. Let me put it this way: During the last three years I’ve shot the highest scoring (Boone & Crockett) Rocky Mountain elk of my life, the largest pronghorn antelope, the largest mule deer, and the largest blacktail deer, and all of them were taken with Ruger Model 77 Mark II rifles.

no his is just a regular ole m77 i think it shoots great, i just think the internet article he read poisoned his mind and he doesnt have all the facts just thought id do some digging for him so he doesnt sell and regret it later!

hey, do you live anywhere near creen queek? i cut some ol' lady off for a parkin' place at walmart and she thought i was you. she started yellin' "FAT BA$TARD!!!!!" at me. i said, "no, i'm .270. you got me cornfused". but she kept yellin' it. you must be good lookin' too. it's a curse. Lark.

hey, do you live anywhere near creen queek? i cut some ol' lady off for a parkin' place at walmart and she thought i was you. she started yellin' "FAT BA$TARD!!!!!" at me. i said, "no, i'm .270. you got me cornfused". but she kept yellin' it. you must be good lookin' too. it's a curse. Lark.

Lmao

You can't beat a Ruger Action I dont care what you do they are about the best thing going. Its possible if its an old M77 chambered in 25-06 that it may be time for a new barrel, especially if he shot it allot. I have never had an ounce of trouble with any of my Rugers acuracy wise. Is his action bedded? Most Rugers also like a little fore end pressure on the barrel instead of floating the full length of the barrel. Just a couple things to look at before dropping hundreds of dollars on a barrel. If a new barrel is the cure E. R. Shaw would be the best bang for the buck. Send it off to them and they will install a barrel of his choice length, contour and finish all for around $300 and 3 months turn around. If money and turn around time is of no concern I would send it off to Hart for a barrel.