Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

1st Year hunting Arizona.

The key word in my comment about tossing rocks was "small." No need to start a landslide. In fact, I knew a guy who swore by using a slingshot to shoot marbles and steel bearings into the brush below him. He claimed the small amount of noise that bouncing marbles and bearings made didn't spook deer badly, but got them to move and look around, giving him a standing shot.

Incidentally, moving along a contour below a ridge wasn't to avoid skylining yourself, it's because deer bedded in brush in little draws usually don't seem to view someone on a ridge as a threat. Move along the contour about 30-40 yards below the ridgeline and you will get them moving.

I definitely agree that it pays to catch your breath and get ready to shoot before crossing a saddle.

Bill Quimby

It sounds like you leaned alot. And faster than I did. #5 will continue to bite you..lol. I'm not sure where you are stationed but you should set your self up to hunt ft huacuca next year. You be happy you did

Scooter, I am not sure whereabouts you live, but if you would like to team up for some coues hunting drop me a line, any excuse is a good excuse to be sitting behind my 15's. I usually hunt alone and I even have a spare tripod. Once whitetail season is over, I wouldn't mind going out after a few varmint pelts.

I'm stationed at FT Huachuca. My Coues hunt ends Thursday- then it's a nonpermit archery only tag in December. I think I have a good spot for that hunt... so I probably won't need the optics. I appreciate the offer bud. I don't need Whitetail season to end to take some coyotes... Got one on Thanksgiving morning, and a Bobcat in October- so anytime you wanna hook up for that is good!

In this age of high-quality optics, it's easy to believe that the only way to hunt a Coues deer is to sit and glass. It may be the most effective way most days in suitable country, but it is not the only way.

On certain days, especially very windy days, our little deer stay in sheltered places where you cannot see them no matter the sticker price of your optics. On those days, the best way to find a buck is to kick them out of where they are hiding.

Move slowly and toss small rocks into brushy pockets below you as you go ... and be prepared to shoot quickly. A Coues whitetail buck sometimes will jump out of brush and stop and stare at you, but more often than not it will run over the next ridge.

Pay a lot of attention to the wind. Whitetails have great noses, and will do one of three things when it gets your scent: 1) sneak away without your seeing it, or 2) freeze on the spot, or 3) run off long before you reach it.

Another tip, don't walk the ridgetops. Stay thirty or forty yards below the ridge, "working" the heads of each draw. Try to position yourself so you can cover every escape route. You typically will hear a deer rattling rocks below you and won't see it until it starts up the other side of the canyon.

I've always compared the habits of Arizona's deer to rabbits. Our whitetails are like cottontails. They prefer to hold tight until they are almost stepped on, while mule deer are like jackrabbits that lope away at the first sight of you, then stop to get one last look.

Bill Quimby

Thanks Bill... Great tips!!!

Well, I hunted hard. Saw deer almost every time I went out- but no shot opportunities. In fact, I only saw one buck who was running scared out of his mind from hunters walking in late. I look forward to this weekend's archery season opener... Gonna try to sit in my blind near some water for awhile, then maybe try stalking if that doesn't pan out.

Still after them with my bow. Yesterday I sat in my blind all morning- only saw 6 turkeys. That was cool, but my freezer is empty. I collapsed the blind and stashed it in the truck to go walk/stalk around to see what I could find. 2 Coues Does got up in some thick stuff about 10 yards away from me which almost made me fill my diaper... Then I started glassing and saw movement on a hillside over a mile away. I thought at first they were cattle, but at this spot I'd never seen cattle before. I only had my 10X42's and no tripod/bipod, so I wasn't able to get a clearer picture. Maybe after Santa drops some Swaro's down my non-existent chimney. Anyway, I started trekking over towards that hillside- ended up 100 yards away glassing for horns. All slicks. So I tried to get even closer... 75 yards away... No Horns in sight. Get a little closer at 50 yards and a rogue breeze hits me in the back right towards them and almost 20 mulie does get up and trot off over the ridge. Not a single antler in the group!

Great stories and tips.I'm retired military will try and meet up wit others. I'm more of a Archery person and will try and hit Huachuca next year but doing my research this year.