Sign in to follow this  
Wildcatcoueshunter

Rattling

Rattlin! Too late for that...them rattlers are all snoozin by now.Try in the summer ;)

Jk. But I've had limited success. Only once did we manage to draw in two younger bucks into bow range. I've had better success with a doe-n-can bleat call.

You name it and I've tried it. Limited rattling and limited use of a grunt does work, but I have found over the years that limited is the key. There are a few things which make hunting Coues different from hunting lets say midwest whitetails. First, the buck to doe ratio (especially counting mature bucks who would be more prone to being agressive) is very low with Coues deer. The more remote you get, the better that rattling will work. The buck to doe ratios are higher and the deer have less pressure and exposure to guys just making a lot of noise with rattling horns. Here is a technique that has worked for me in getting a couple of really nice bucks in close. Use a small pack rattle and go really light at first. Make short rattle sequences with a little time in between (a couple of minutes). I usually take a single shed with me to my tree stand and I will use that shed to rake the tree of limbs. If you have watched Coues deer much, you will have noticed that most of the bucks sparring dont fight it out like you see in the midwest. Usually it is a shorter struggle with one buck running off then coming back and re-engaging. As you are rattling, ALWAYS look downwind! These Coues will almost always come in downwind! They are smart, especially the bigger bucks! Scent control has to be perfect or you will only catch a glimpse of them as they sneak off after winding you. My best luck has been from a tree stand because of this. Use grunts sparingly, and always try to sound "wimpy". No buck around where I hunt wants to come in to fight a big ol nast buck that is gonna whoop his butt... they will come in if they think that it is a smaller and weaker buck invading their territiry. Be careful on the doe calls... usually the ones you buy are too loud and too long. Keep them short and quiet... they do carry a long way! Get a good set of walkers game ears and you will hear what I am talking about. Never knew how vocal Coues deer were until I started wearing them. Also it will help you pick up the sound of deer coming in so you can be ready for them. Just my two cents...

Just rattling in an area without knowing where the bucks are is less productive than if you have already glassed up some bucks and have moved within 100 yards of them before starting to rattle. I have tried it a few times and had limited success. Sometimes they seem to just ignore the grunts and rattles. Other times they have come running in. Most of the time that it has worked has been down in Mexico where buck:doe ratios are higher and the bucks were all whipped up over some does in the area. it sure is fun when it works, especially if you can see the buck the whole time they are heading your way. I once filmed a buck that a guide called across a small canyon to us. It was a smaller buck and we were just trying out the grunt call. Not sure he rattled much in that sequence.

You name it and I've tried it. Limited rattling and limited use of a grunt does work, but I have found over the years that limited is the key. There are a few things which make hunting Coues different from hunting lets say midwest whitetails. First, the buck to doe ratio (especially counting mature bucks who would be more prone to being agressive) is very low with Coues deer. The more remote you get, the better that rattling will work. The buck to doe ratios are higher and the deer have less pressure and exposure to guys just making a lot of noise with rattling horns. Here is a technique that has worked for me in getting a couple of really nice bucks in close. Use a small pack rattle and go really light at first. Make short rattle sequences with a little time in between (a couple of minutes). I usually take a single shed with me to my tree stand and I will use that shed to rake the tree of limbs. If you have watched Coues deer much, you will have noticed that most of the bucks sparring dont fight it out like you see in the midwest. Usually it is a shorter struggle with one buck running off then coming back and re-engaging. As you are rattling, ALWAYS look downwind! These Coues will almost always come in downwind! They are smart, especially the bigger bucks! Scent control has to be perfect or you will only catch a glimpse of them as they sneak off after winding you. My best luck has been from a tree stand because of this. Use grunts sparingly, and always try to sound "wimpy". No buck around where I hunt wants to come in to fight a big ol nast buck that is gonna whoop his butt... they will come in if they think that it is a smaller and weaker buck invading their territiry. Be careful on the doe calls... usually the ones you buy are too loud and too long. Keep them short and quiet... they do carry a long way! Get a good set of walkers game ears and you will hear what I am talking about. Never knew how vocal Coues deer were until I started wearing them. Also it will help you pick up the sound of deer coming in so you can be ready for them. Just my two cents...

Thanks Kevin for the information, I appreciate it.

Just rattling in an area without knowing where the bucks are is less productive than if you have already glassed up some bucks and have moved within 100 yards of them before starting to rattle. I have tried it a few times and had limited success. Sometimes they seem to just ignore the grunts and rattles. Other times they have come running in. Most of the time that it has worked has been down in Mexico where buck:doe ratios are higher and the bucks were all whipped up over some does in the area. it sure is fun when it works, especially if you can see the buck the whole time they are heading your way. I once filmed a buck that a guide called across a small canyon to us. It was a smaller buck and we were just trying out the grunt call. Not sure he rattled much in that sequence.

Hi Amanda, how was your thanksgiving?? Don't know if you remember who I am?? I met you in Tucson while you were selling t-shirts at sportsmans warehouse, a few years ago?? I appreciate your information..

This is good info. It all makes sense. Any particular "pack rattle" and "doe call" you would recommend? I have the little coues buck grunt, made in the west valley (don't remember the name).

This is good info. It all makes sense. Any particular "pack rattle" and "doe call" you would recommend? I have the little coues buck grunt, made in the west valley (don't remember the name).

The pack rattle I use is the smaller pack rack by Barnes and Hale... I have tried the bags and I personally have found them ackward to use and hard to "tickle" them together. Using a tickling technique seems to me more productive for me than making it sound like a full on fight. I use a Ridge Runner grunt by Quaker Boy. I leave the expandable tube compressed and not extended much, as it keeps the tone a bit higher. Keep your grunts to one or two in a sequence. I have never heard a Coues rip out three or more grunts in succession. (It may happen, I just have never personally heard it)... The thicker the cover, the more likely they will come into your call... if you are near an opening, most likely they will come only to the edge of the covering and hang up there. Oh, the doe call I use is a small can call, EZ Gravity Bleat, but I have modified it... I took a leather punch and punched a couple of small holes in the center of the orange silencer cap. I always use the cap on it and it produces a nice, softer and quieter toned sound. I will turn the bleat can all the way over for a second or two then turn it back right side up. Dont allow your bleats go too long, it is not a natural Coues sound. I just got all set up to film our hunts. Once the pre-rut really gets going, I will try to get some rattling action on film and post up a link or something, even is we dont kill what comes in... Hope this helps!

The pack rattle I use is the smaller pack rack by Barnes and Hale... I have tried the bags and I personally have found them ackward to use and hard to "tickle" them together. Using a tickling technique seems to me more productive for me than making it sound like a full on fight. I use a Ridge Runner grunt by Quaker Boy. I leave the expandable tube compressed and not extended much, as it keeps the tone a bit higher. Keep your grunts to one or two in a sequence. I have never heard a Coues rip out three or more grunts in succession. (It may happen, I just have never personally heard it)... The thicker the cover, the more likely they will come into your call... if you are near an opening, most likely they will come only to the edge of the covering and hang up there. Oh, the doe call I use is a small can call, EZ Gravity Bleat, but I have modified it... I took a leather punch and punched a couple of small holes in the center of the orange silencer cap. I always use the cap on it and it produces a nice, softer and quieter toned sound. I will turn the bleat can all the way over for a second or two then turn it back right side up. Dont allow your bleats go too long, it is not a natural Coues sound. I just got all set up to film our hunts. Once the pre-rut really gets going, I will try to get some rattling action on film and post up a link or something, even is we dont kill what comes in... Hope this helps!

Thanks will try the bleat call and leave the top on after I punch some holes, how big of a hole and how many??

Yes, that is a big help! I think you ment KNIGHT & Hale....I looked it up online. They make the smaller Pack Rack and the EZ Gravity Bleat. I will check Sportsman's for them. Thanks again!