Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Predator decoy

Has anyone used a squirrel tail as a motion decoy??? If so what would be the best way to rig it up?

Has anyone used a squirrel tail as a motion decoy??? If so what would be the best way to rig it up?

I have used turkey feathers but haven't used consistent enough to know how effective it is.

on one I used a wooden dowel and fishing line. put a round eyed screw in the top of the dowel and tied off the line and bored a hole through the quill of a couple turkey feathers and tied the other end to them. looks great in a light breeze. on another one I just used an old arrow. I'm sure it can work the same on a squirrel tail. I finally broke down and bought a decoy. the first dog I called in hung up at 220yds but I think it helped with my movement to get the shot off... sun in my face and the coyote was dead down wind.

I had a deer tail that I tied a long string to, looped it over a branch, and jerked it up and down. I never got a animal to come in when I was using it. I used a wang thang with bad results. I now have a mojo, but havent used it yet.

I have used a lot of decoys with mixed results. The decoy in the first pic is one that a buddy made for me. It is a stuffed animal that was emptied out and then a motor from a santa hat placed inside. It is wired so that it plugs into my caller and can be controlled with the remote. This has been my most productive decoy. The cat in the pic came in at a full sprint as soon as he saw the movement. The second pic is a Mojo decoy that I fabbed to go into my caller. This one has mixed results and sometimes I think that it may actually scare some of the animals. I have also used many bird and woodpecker decoys as well. Good Luck.

IMG_6431.jpg

IMG_20111120_083905-1.jpg

pred21005.jpg

I have had good luck with decoys. I have a coyote tail connected to a motion device to swings the tail all around. I like to spray my decoy down with vanilla extract to cover my scent, plus I have had coyotes stop and smell it when they come in close. David

Thanks for the advice guys... I will have to build something like you all have.

Get a small alligator clip and tie a section of fishing line to it with a small fishing swivel then onto your squirrel tail. You can clip it onto any small limb or bush. I have the same set up but use feathers. it moves quite a bit with the slightest breeze.