Sign in to follow this  
Mpar

best tripod for rifles?

I have seen alot of pictures of guys on the forum with rifles mounted to tripods for shooting at long range. they look really steady and light weight. I currently have a harris ultralight bipod mounted to my rifle and am curious of the pros and cons of the tripod mounts. Also where to find them?

I have seen alot of pictures of guys on the forum with rifles mounted to tripods for shooting at long range. they look really steady and light weight. I currently have a harris ultralight bipod mounted to my rifle and am curious of the pros and cons of the tripod mounts. Also where to find them?

I have used what you have it works but now have a Rifle Railz on my rifles and it makes a big difference , had two different guys shoot there elk this past weekend one shot kills , one of the shots was 719 yards , the other guy shot 607 they were amazed with the set up but there is also a bunch of other work don to my 300 rum to make it shoot tight, the rifle railz helps a bunch. azhuntnut on this form , David is his real name can set you up if your interested .

Any good tripod will work fine. I found that with the rifle railz and/or the gun claw/triclawps that a good head makes a world of difference. If the mount that holds these aids moves your crosshairs move.....it's that simple.

I use the Tripod and Gun claw combo called the Triclawps. Its rugged and lightweight. my wife and nephews love it and have taken a pig and mule from it.

... a good head makes a world of difference. If the mount that holds these aids moves your crosshairs move.....it's that simple.

Yes. The Manfrotto 701HDV is a good head to use as the plate does not wiggle in the head (I found that the plate of the lighter 700RC2 is not secure enough). Also, remove the rubber strips on the plate and JBweld/epoxy the plate to the Claw.

The tripod should have stiff legs.