Sign in to follow this  
soccerstar2013

New to Bow hunting

Im am going to try Bow hunting this year and am really looking forward to it! My plan was just to sit at water all day, does this usually work or is there a more effective method like spot and stalk? I will be going after coues in the southern units like 33 and 36b! please help me out any information is gladly appreciated!

-Jake

As I am sure others will tell you, both methods (water and spot n' stalk) will work.

I personally love to do the spot and stalk method for coues and mulies in the winter. If you sit and glass (and be patient) you have a good chance of glassing up a buck (or bucks) ruttin' does. If you are real lucky, and you find bucks in the heat of the rut, then the spot and stalk method can be "easier" than you think. A coues buck in full rut, that is chasing a doe, can be a totally different deer than the bucks you hunt in October and November. They can let their guard down... since they really only have one thing on their mind. Coues bucks in the heat of the rut will also make a "woof"/"bark" sound. I have actually gotten into bucks by hearing them before I saw them.... (just something to keep in mind).

Hope you enjoy archery hunting.. it is certainly a test of patience and will!

Im am going to try Bow hunting this year and am really looking forward to it! My plan was just to sit at water all day, does this usually work or is there a more effective method like spot and stalk? I will be going after coues in the southern units like 33 and 36b! please help me out any information is gladly appreciated!

-Jake

there are no sure things in bow hunting..... whether sitting water or salt/food or spot n stalk.

luck has a little to do with it but that being said there are guys on here that slay big bucks every year. Their dedication and hard work pays off. Sitting or stalking could be like a light beer commercial.... Less filling... Tastes great! Sitting water or a trail leading to water in the August/September is a good plan. I chase them all over in the late season. Kill or not it is a blast!

james

-Jake

Invest in the best pair of binos you can afford and a good tripod, and let your eyes do the walking, you will be surprised on how many bucks you will see. Now comes the hard part planning a stalk once they have been located.

I have a good pair of vortex's and a solid tripod I use during rifle season I think I might give both a chance depending on what I see! It will be interesting to see the difference in glassing in nov. compared to dec.! Cant Wait!

Do both. Glass mornings and evenings. sit water (sleep) between 10:00 and 3:00. Likely you will miss your mid day rest once you glass something up, but if not a water blind is great for the mid day doldrums.

there are no sure things in bow hunting..... whether sitting water or salt/food or spot n stalk.

luck has a little to do with it but that being said there are guys on here that slay big bucks every year. Their dedication and hard work pays off. Sitting or stalking could be like a light beer commercial.... Less filling... Tastes great! Sitting water or a trail leading to water in the August/September is a good plan. I chase them all over in the late season. Kill or not it is a blast!

james

That's about the best description I've heard! If it wasn't so much stinking fun to chase them with a bow I would write off spot and stalk Coues hunting as an exercise in futility. But it is fun, and you will see more and bigger bucks than you might've imagined!

it also depends on you. I've sat water for 5 days sun up to sundown a few times. its hard and quite boring in my opinion. im working on the spot and stalk method now. I just don't think I can make myself sit that long again. not to say id never do it but for me its pure torture to sit still that long. have fun and be patient. archery is hard. im over 3 years of probably 30+ days a year hunting and haven't arrowed anything yet. maybe my 7opinion day hunt next week will change the dry spell :0). If not, Ill still be happy just being outdoors.

I spotted a couple of really solid areas during my rifle hunt that had deer (groups of does) traffic almost every morning/evening... My plan is to hunt the first few days from my blind and see how they react to it... I feel like if I can get the does to come by in bow range, the bucks will eventually start to follow- If they don't come by the blind, I will throw it in the truck and get back to glassing and stalking, I'm still getting used to that style of hunting- but I see deer every time I do it.

Do both. Glass mornings and evenings. sit water (sleep) between 10:00 and 3:00.

HaHa i do the exact opposite of what he says aside from the sleeping and finding bucks has never been a problem for me. Just goes to show not necessarily a wrong way to do it. GO off your experience and the area your hunting