Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Two Bulls Down

Didnt have much time for a story when I put the pictures up but here it goes now.

Friday morning me and grandpa split up, he went to an area we seen quite a few elk the morning before the hunt and I went to the flats. Grandpa passed on a small bull and I spent the morning racing across the flats to where my buddy had 6 bulls spotted. By the time I arrived he just had an idea where they were, we gave it a try with no luck.

Friday evening I sat about 400 yards from a thicket where I hoped they would pop out while I glassed the flats. Well one stepped out, I took a look in the scope and he looked like a good bull so I moved to get a steady shot (Which ended up being leaning the barrel over my dads shoulder). took the shot and it sounded great but my dad seen the bull run off. He got up and started walking to him while I packed up the gear. Walking over, there was a small drop off between us and the bull that we hadn't noticed before with elk still standing there. the elk scattered before I ever got there and my dad found my bull. (the top picture) It wasn't the one I had seen in the scope but hes still a nice bull.

The weekend came and went without seeing too much and Tuesday night I took my grandpa back to the same spot I had shot from and sure enough about an hour there and out step 6 bulls. I picked out the biggest one I could see and got my grandpa lined up for the shot. I was watching through the binoculars and all I seen was the bull disappear and then the legs start kicking. By the time we packed our gear from where we were sitting and walked over to find the bull it was dark and we couldn't find anything. We split up and went both ways from where we thought it should be for about a 100 yards with no luck. We came back together to mark about where it should be and go get some better flashlights. I went to mark it on the GPS and I heard the bull trying to breathe. we started walking to it and he took about four breaths before I shined my light on him.

When I checked the GPS the bull had dropped 40 yards from where we had found mine.

Turned out to be a good year.

You bet it turned out to be a good year. Congratulations to you and your grandfather. To be able to hunt with your Dad and his Dad will be memories that are priceless. :)

TJ