ok - talk about awesume

Zeiss super-Big Eyes 25x and 45x oculars with 100mm objectives

they have both 25 and 45 power that rotate to use

these are available for sale

what kinda price do you think these should bring

with tripod all in original metal backpack /case

post-3096-0-58923900-1323062562_thumb.jpg

post-3096-0-58228600-1323062577_thumb.jpg

was kinda hard to really tell- as the clouds hung a little low accross the mtns. but the glass itself was in pristine condition. -

I'm guessing this is where the concept of duel spotting scopes originated - kinda hard to even find anything written up about these - please if anyone knows - post it up!

Are you sure they are Zeiss? They look a lot like these which are a Ziess design http://www.oberwerk.com/products/2540100.htm#_self They could be worth a lot if they are the original Zeiss just as a colectors item. If they are the Oberwerk they can normally be bought new for $1500-$1700 used I've seen them go as low as $700. How much is the guy asking for them?

Are you sure they are Zeiss? They look a lot like these which are a Ziess design http://www.oberwerk.com/products/2540100.htm#_self They could be worth a lot if they are the original Zeiss just as a colectors item. If they are the Oberwerk they can normally be bought new for $1500-$1700 used I've seen them go as low as $700. How much is the guy asking for them?

I'll try to get all the info asap- thanks for the reply - guess i shoulda wrote some of the info down -oops they may be ober- most of his optics were zeiss- had a very interesting collection !

I'm very interested to see what you find out keep us posted.

they are in transit - but asked guy who spent the most time looking thru them - will get id info soon and heres wa his reply

"From what I remember, these are the real deal, East German Zeiss binos. The case had East German markings. These are not finished anything like the Oberwerks."

heres info from the owner

The "big eyes" that I have are by Zeiss. I got 'em, as far as I know, long before that other outfit started importing replicas. I can't tell you more than what you could see.

ok - heres the latest - seller -Dr. Ken Howell, author of the 1987 "Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions"

He's 90 in a wheel chair and would like to sell some of his things - he's living in quemado N.M.

i had asked for some idea of what he'd like to get for the big eyes - he answered -half-way between felonious and federal

heres his comment on the price of these rare optics----

A modern replica is going for $2,000, I'm told. Not sure whether it comes with the same fancy fitted steel military case, but I assume that the tripod comes with it.

A friend tried to find (but couldn't) an original Zeiss like mine on-line. He found an American-made Navy version at something between $6,300 and $6,500 — with or without the fitted steel case? I don't know.

That's what I meant by "half-way between felonious and federal," though I'd assume that the Navy version originally cost the gov a lot more than it'd ever bring as milsurp.

anyone interested i can pass along info or get you in contact with him! Gary

God Bless him. The man is a Legend. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when he and Elmer Keith had conversations. Very, very glad to hear he is still with us.

I see the huachucas! were you able to atleast see tree outlines at that distance?

I looked through those binos where they stood and yes, I could see tree outlines and individual boulders in outcroppings, it was midday and there was plenty of mirage but impressive, over 10 miles away. They are Zeiss.

Dr Ken Howell was the former editor of Rifle and Handloader magazines as well as an author, was also a teacher and Professor in Prescott years ago... He was also great friends with old Bill Jordan and Bill Ruger, I have been blessed to listen to hours of his reminiscence at his house in NM many nights and count him as family now. he's only 80 Gary, be 81 next week, I'm telling him you said he was 90... lol

Anyone want his contact info I can forward... he'd be thrilled to have an ear to bend and he's definitely worth the listen.

Kent